Here are the RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 600mm f/4L IS USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here are images of the upcoming Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM super-telephoto lenses.
The 400mm lens will launch at $11,999USD and the 600mm will launch at $12,999. These prices were somewhat expected.
The official announcement is soon.

EyzNucnVIAAgYRE-168x168.jpg

EyzNucEVIAM00y3-168x168.jpg

EyzNtE6VEAAUjV4-168x168.jpg

EyzNtE5U4AEzQXr-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The reality of what Canon is doing is, for EF mount holdouts, the EF versions of these lenses will get supported for repairs for well into the next decade thanks to the RF lenses using the same design.

It's actually so similar that I'm fully expecting Canon will offer a conversion service with these. It can't cost more than maybe $1000 to turn the EF versions into the RF mount.

Again, all of this makes sense when you consider that there will likely always be EF mount holdouts, and Canon will now be able to service those $12000 lenses for far longer than it the first RF mount versions replaced anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Very similar to their EF III counterparts. The only exterior changes are the sliver RF adapter and the removal of the focus scale window. I am still very interested to learn more if there were any changes to the electronics to provide faster focusing, etc. with the RF 12 pin interface relative to the older EF 8 pin interface. I expect an announcement soon given the amount of information that is being leaked.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It's actually so similar that I'm fully expecting Canon will offer a conversion service with these. It can't cost more than maybe $1000 to turn the EF versions into the RF mount.
It would cost $101 to superglue an RF-EF adaptor on to the end of one

[SARCASM ALERT - please don't use superglue anywhere near your expensive lens]

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
It would cost $101 to superglue an RF-EF adaptor on to the end of one

[SARCASM ALERT - please don't use superglue anywhere near your expensive lens]
The barrel of the lens has changed, as well. With Canon having to tear down a 600mm, you can expect a good $200-300 for man hours, then $100-300 for the new parts, $100-200 just for the privilege of upgrading, and then whatever additional steps Canon might have to take, I'd expect upwards of $600 at least. Let's not forget Canon charged $100 just to update the software on the 5D IV :ROFLMAO:

In all reality, Canon could still get away with a $1000 dollar upgrade when the alternative is a $12,000 lens. They're going to want to sell new lenses alongside the old lenses, and the old lenses will make more sense if they can have their lifespan extended by a mount/barrel conversion

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
My blush response to the silver extension was this looks like a fake, but...

IIRC, its been noted in this site's forums that design of super teles doesn't benefit from shorter flange distance. Also, Canon has released new versions of the 400mm f/2.8 & 600mm f/4 in late '18, barely 2.5 years ago. That's a big R&D and manufacturing facilities investment Canon needs to recoup.

So I wouldn't be the least surprised if the RF versions upgrade would be limited to the mount electronics, control ring, AF motor, and 24mm extension.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I'm thinking its just a quick version update for the RF mount to protect the buyers of the iii lenses. Next year they start radically redesigning them starting with the 500mm
What's this "protecting the buyers" thing you talk about? Canon are in this to make money. I doubt there is significant EF lens stock still on the market, and even if there was, they would sell to DSLR users.

The only reason they haven't radically redesigned it is because there's absolutely no need to. Don't expect a redesign for a decade.

Upvote 0
What's this "protecting the buyers" thing you talk about? Canon are in this to make money. I doubt there is significant EF lens stock still on the market, and even if there was, they would sell to DSLR users.

The only reason they haven't radically redesigned it is because there's absolutely no need to. Don't expect a redesign for a decade.
Maybe in a year actually.
I have been told that the RF versions of the latter lenses will come in early 2022 and that the new RF 500mm f/4L IS USM will be extremely light and much shorter than the current version

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The reality of what Canon is doing is, for EF mount holdouts, the EF versions of these lenses will get supported for repairs for well into the next decade thanks to the RF lenses using the same design.

Again, all of this makes sense when you consider that there will likely always be EF mount holdouts, and Canon will now be able to service those $12000 lenses for far longer than it the first RF mount versions replaced anything.

Exactly, very good idea. This way photographers who are still using 7D, 1D, 5D bodies, can still buy the new versions and later convert it to RF mount.
Much more important than a complete redesign to save an extra 50g.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I'm thinking its just a quick version update for the RF mount to protect the buyers of the iii lenses. Next year they start radically redesigning them starting with the 500mm

More likely that the 300 and 500mm lenses will get a complete redesign but the 400 and 600 will stay as it is, because those lenses are barely 2 years old. What could a complete redesign achieve?

Upvote 0