Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C70

Jan 27, 2020
...Granted I believe Canon could do better as the camera really does not overheat.

Yes, the camera does not really overheat. And the Earth is flat and we never landed on the moon.
Learn some physics. Understand that electronics generate heat. Try to grasp that all FF DSLRs and MILCs have issues with overheating.
Do you seriously think that Canon has devised a way to overcome physics reality. A magic potion perhaps sprinkled on the processor?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
I get that this doesn't appear to be a "video R5," but why not? Canon obviously knows how to make a small camera that has extraordinary 8K video quality, so why haven't there been any rumors of them putting that tech in a body like this, where it has the cooling and ports it needs for proper video functionality?
Because they want to put that tech properly in to a C700 and C500 first and charge more money for it. That's fair enough.

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Yes, the camera does not really overheat. And the Earth is flat and we never landed on the moon.
Learn some physics. Understand that electronics generate heat. Try to grasp that all FF DSLRs and MILCs have issues with overheating.
Do you seriously think that Canon has devised a way to overcome physics reality. A magic potion perhaps sprinkled on the processor?

Somewhere in a galaxy not far from here, just six short months ago:

Internet: Canon could never put 8K full frame in to a mirrorless camera. They don't have the technical capabilities to do that. The last time they innovated was when 5d mkii was born.
Canon: Our next 5 series will have 8K and demonstrate what we are capable of.
Internet: (spits coffee on screen) Yeah right. Maybe 8K timelapse mode
Canon: No, 8K video
Internet: Er no, 8K like 15 second movie burst mode then, because you know overheating would happen in such a small body. Do Canon engineers not know anything about physics? That's why refrigerators exist....
Canon: No full 8K video
Internet: Yeah right.... hahaha. It's not possible. So no AF or IBIS then. You won't be able to use the full technologies of the camera/
Canon: No. 8K Full frame, AF and IBIS enabled.
Internet: It's not possible, because you know.... overheating is a thing with technology in such a small package. If it was possible then Sony would have done it.
Canon: Hold our beer.....

Post launch

Internet: I demand a full unconditional apology from Canon. I demand immediately that they give us unlimited 8K full frame video for $4.99 and stop hiding behind this "overheating" scenario to protect their other cameras. I’ve never felt so personally insulted by a camera company as I have by Canon. To me honest behaviour is very important. I recognize that the only person that is perfect is me and people make mistakes. The important thing is to admit that and not to sell us totally unusable technology like this…

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Is this, dare I say, the "video R5" everyone's been moaning about? Also, note the huge vent on the side.

Some of the labels I was able to decipher:

View attachment 192504
Two of the buttons I think you missed are Zebra and WFM. Zebra is below the DISP button. WFM is next to the HDMI.
If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe Peaking is one of the other buttons next to remote and perhaps there is a MAGAN button next to USB that is hidden?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
EVF accessory..Many owners complained about the evf in the way of their rigs, and would prefer it being removable. Even a tilting removable one GFX style would be nice.
I wonder whether that hot shoe type ridge / mount at the top of the camera is for the EVF or an Atomos style accessory. Would make it very flexible if you could just slide the EVF on and off when required.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Now everyone will start with "but this vidoe camera can't take 45MP stills and...."

No. This is serious stuff. It’s VIDEO after all.

I made this same joke in another “video” thread and was told very sternly that the video bro’s were trying to have a ‘serious discussion’ and stills shooter humor wasn’t welcome. I’m thinking ‘video whining has flooded every thread since the dawn of the R5’ but I deleted my little joke and left them to their round table...

:rolleyes:

I’m sure some video guy will try to stick a grain of rice in this thing somewhere. It’s inevitable.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Somewhere in a galaxy not far from here, just six short months ago:

Internet: Canon could never put 8K full frame in to a mirrorless camera. They don't have the technical capabilities to do that. The last time they innovated was when 5d mkii was born.
Canon: Our next 5 series will have 8K and demonstrate what we are capable of.
Internet: (spits coffee on screen) Yeah right. Maybe 8K timelapse mode
Canon: No, 8K video
Internet: Er no, 8K like 15 second movie burst mode then, because you know overheating would happen in such a small body. Do Canon engineers not know anything about physics? That's why refrigerators exist....
Canon: No full 8K video
Internet: Yeah right.... hahaha. It's not possible. So no AF or IBIS then. You won't be able to use the full technologies of the camera/
Canon: No. 8K Full frame, AF and IBIS enabled.
Internet: It's not possible, because you know.... overheating is a thing with technology in such a small package. If it was possible then Sony would have done it.
Canon: Hold our beer.....

Post launch

Internet: I demand a full unconditional apology from Canon. I demand immediately that they give us unlimited 8K full frame video for $4.99 and stop hiding behind this "overheating" scenario to protect their other cameras. I’ve never felt so personally insulted by a camera company as I have by Canon. To me honest behaviour is very important. I recognize that the only person that is perfect is me and people make mistakes. The important thing is to admit that and not to sell us totally unusable technology like this…
Standby for protest marches. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It will give us 12k for 20 minutes before "overheating". Of course if you want unlimited 12k you'll need to buy a proper cinema camera, not this entry-level one. But there are some very well-know sources that are testing it without the lens attached and they have been able to record unlimited time... so we are waiting for a marketing firmware update.:sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0