Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Some of us have very emotional affairs with each other. We even fight like married folks. ;)
Come to think of it, I miss Adam and Neuro as of late, maybe they employed the restraining order 'ignore' button. Ha!

The evolution into a more video centric site has brought a bit too much technical banter and not enough color commentary for my liking. (That's code for BORING) Still love ya CFB ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's not quite a ring, but a few solid stops. I can imagine if this is focus bracketing, every step is a defined amount different backwards or forward from the focused point. That would let you make your focus brackets in specific amounts, and if it's electronic, you could probably define how far of focus every step is.
All that are in R5

Upvote 0

Bengt Nyman

EOS 5R, RF 800mm f/11, RF 35mm macro, GP-E2 ...
Dec 22, 2011
The arrow focus you describe just sounds like Canon's manual focus guides, which should be available regardless of the lens, as long as the lens is detectable for the body. So that's pretty much a given.
Thanks, that sounds good. Looking forward to the release including MTF and more info about image quality.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have no idea what SA means, but I was thinking along the lines of something like a fine focus adjustment to get more precise focus as it is a macro lens at 100mm. If it is I still don't know what SA means. I am only throwing a suggestion out there.
It could indeed be kind of a "focus ultra-fine tuning" for manual focusing.
Therefore the + and - markings.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It could indeed be kind of a "focus ultra-fine tuning" for manual focusing.
Therefore the + and - markings.
You don't really need focus fine tuning with a RF lens, you can variable focus speed so that it can focus in very fine increments. Ideal for manual macro focusing.

from TDP

1618065880565.png

Upvote 0
Was that tongue in cheek? I cannot imagine you would actually expect members here to be checking in regularly akin to texting a spouse.
No, not especially tongue-in-cheek. I was the 'he' referred to in Ph0to's post, and while I didn't see just "RF" as being enough 'new' for my original comments ( I was referring rather to the other aspects of this lens), I wasn't concerned to pick up on that (on the basis that everyone can have their own interpretations, so I just wasn't bothered), but when Ph0t0 then picked up on it and posited a response, I then felt maybe I should have made a comment.

No harm intended to any party :)

Upvote 0
I hope we get also a set of extension tubes with this lens if it is "just" a 1:1 macro. I expect this would be the only way to get higher magnification with original RF lenses.
I'm sure they'll be on the way, but bear in mind you don't get as much additional maginifcation from extension tubes once you get to 100mm focal length (the bigger gains come with lenses of shorter lengths).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In terms of macro and stacking, Is the use of a slider preferable to focus bracketing (automation of which is built in to some Canon bodies.)?
If I follow your question correctly, yes. When you refocus, it changes the magnification. That's not ideal for stacking. It is better to move the camera a bit to change the plane of focus.

Upvote 0
The patent shows the lens groupings sliding in and out. This would achieve both stepping for focus bracketing and magnification changes. I’m really excited to see how this works. I’m over fiddling with bracketing for my macro work!
Of the all of the lens elements move forward and backwards then that is the equivalent of moving the whole lens closer and further from the sensor. Thus extension is tubes equivalent.

as die bracketing there is simply no way around it. You need multiple shots to capture the DOF you want. Only way to get more in picture is through aperture and we all know there is only so far you can push that.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Extension tubes work great with my EF 100mm, easily to 2x.
But we all know EF tubes are useless for RF!;)
but bear in mind you don't get as much additional maginifcation from extension tubes once you get to 100mm focal length
Yes, yes, I know, I know! I own a Sigma 105mm Macro and use it with extension tubes. The biggest disadvantage of tubes is the shorter far focus and I would like not to use these tubes. But I would like to have a magnification similar to my Laowa 60mm 2:1 Macro just with AF. Spring is the time of bee-flies and catching them in flight is not easy with a full manual lens!:confused:

Edit:
The German homepage of Canon is listing the scale of the EF 100 witth extension tubes:
12mm: 1,17-0,12
25mm: 1,37-0,27

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But I would like to have a magnification similar to my Laowa 60mm 2:1 Macro just with AF. Spring is the time of bee-flies and catching them in flight is not easy with a full manual lens!:confused:
Aah, yes, I know! And if Canon would come out with a fully functioning 2:1 macro, that would be fantastic.

I have been going back and forth on the Laowa 100mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro APO myself, and can't decide.... Of course, it is manual focus, so that wouldn'tt help you with your particular issue of flying bees.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
I have been going back and forth on the Laowa 100mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro APO myself, and can't decide..
I am very happy with my Laowa which is great for flowers or mushrooms, but as mentioned moving subjects are a challange! The manual aperture is in bad light conditions also a problem and afaik only the Laowa EF 100 has electronic aperture.
of flying bees
In fact I had bee-flies aka Bombyliidae im mind like this one:
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/butterflies-moths-and-assorted-insects.31073/post-869000
Shot with the Sigma 105 Macro and tubes.;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0