Here is the USD Pricing for the EOS M50 & Speedlite 470EX-AI

mistaspeedy said:
If we get decent 4K, then Canon should be planning a C100 mark III with 4K.

If we get full sensor 4K, DPAF, Canon colors etc... C100 mark II doesnt look so good in comparison (I realize there are many other things to a pro video camera).

The C100 mark II has not looked decent in a while, it's just a mild update of the C100 that was released 6 years ago. The C100 was a reliable 1080p camera that provided a great image given the lightweight and editor friendly codec. For professionals, the M50 sits as the perfect B-roll camera to the XF400. Personally, I may switch to the XF405 or C200 and M50 combo if the M50 turns out well, I've been drooling for a Canon workflow again for the last few years.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
Talys said:
Wow, that's a great price.

It would be a nice replacement for an 70D+10-18 that I sometimes have clipped to my backpack or belt (either camera #2 or #3 when I go birding).

Yes, it is missing a lot ergonomically (controls, I mean), and I would never use this for a main camera, but I usually carry something wide to shoot the odd neat spot or strange tree when I go birding.

Re - Speedlite - that is a decent price there, too.

an M5 or M6 with a 11-22 or 22 would really be a better option for this really.

Yep – M6 + M11-22 in a Lowepro Dashpoint 30 makes a great tag-along.

M6 is not an option, because I like my cameras to have a viewfinder and a hotshoe. If you take that away, it becomes impossible (or at least really hard) to use as a spare, as I use a lot of flash/strobe.

I've almost bought an M5 and 11-22 about a half dozen times, but ended up buying something else instead. It would actually probably be great - I just never end up going through with it because it doesn't really change anything, and would be more to satisfy my desire to buy a gadget than anything else.

I use the peak designs capture clip (the new smaller one), for taking a small body along - I really like it.

ritholtz said:
Compared to M5, it is just missing some controls. I have SL2 which is even basic then rebl T6 cameras in terms of better. But I can still set all three parameters (SS, Aperture and EV) on the fly. I have mapped set button to EV. With auto ISO, it is not that difficult to manager with few buttons for simple users.

The controls are really critical for a main camera, where I need to set/change exposure continually, and, less so, to change AF modes. There's just no getting around one dial for shutter speed and one for aperture.

However, as a tag-along, especially one for just wide-ish shots, that is much less of an issue for me.

Upvote 0
goldenhusky said:
The Pricing of the M50 is a real surprise considering Canon priced G1X mark III a whopping $1300 I hope there is no disappointment in terms of codec and crop factor

I think I would rather argue that the G1X III was the surprise. And they complain the compact market is dying- at that price it deserves to die.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Talys said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
Talys said:

It would be a nice replacement for an 70D+10-18 that I sometimes have clipped to my backpack or belt (either camera #2 or #3 when I go birding).

Yes, it is missing a lot ergonomically (controls, I mean), and I would never use this for a main camera, but I usually carry something wide to shoot the odd neat spot or strange tree when I go birding.

M6 is not an option, because I like my cameras to have a viewfinder and a hotshoe. If you take that away, it becomes impossible (or at least really hard) to use as a spare, as I use a lot of flash/strobe.

I've almost bought an M5 and 11-22 about a half dozen times, but ended up buying something else instead. It would actually probably be great - I just never end up going through with it because it doesn't really change anything, and would be more to satisfy my desire to buy a gadget than anything else.

I use the peak designs capture clip (the new smaller one), for taking a small body along - I really like it.

personally, I had zero interest in an M camera before this one..... this is a different story!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Talys said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
Talys said:

okay.. but you ended up specifying two different cameras. the M6 is certainly a better tag-along.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Woody said:
Do we know if the M50 supports the use of touchscreen to move the AF point while looking through the viewfinder?

This feature is quite important to me.

i wouldn't be surprised if canon withholds some features of the M5 from this, as this really isn't a M5 replacement.

other that that, who knows? find out sunday at 11pm.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
I have been teased by the other brands. Tortured, by reviews of super-duper-sony-sensors and eye-chasing focus monsters.

But, I resisted. I love my Canon gear.

Canon are a smart brand. Like them, I try make long-term business decisions, over taking short-term gains.

I do hope that this is what I have been hoping for. I just want a camera that works as well as my 5DIV, but has pupil detect AF and an EVF. And, I want it to be Canon.

I don't want to get too excited, but it really feels like this is the first step in that direction.

I'm also patient. I don't want to test new tech for Canon. Let them do it here, on the M50.

:)

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
Talys said:

I agree! I don't care about 4K and still happy with my M6+EVF for $100 less.

Upvote 0