How do you sell your gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
dstppy said:
This thread's re-inspired me to get off my duff and get the writeups done tonight.

For one or two items, I've decided to state the price is firm (because I'm not really certain I want to sell them). On others that I have decided to be a little flexible on, is it enough to not state it's firm?

Is it even worth mentioning not to lowball, or just outright ignore the responses?
People are gonna low-ball you no matter what you put in your listing, just ignore them. But, coming off harsh might actually scare a real buyer away.

All I do is list the condition, reason why I'm selling, and then state the price and that the deal is cash only, local pickup. If you decide to be flexible on price, wait a few days, then add that to the description when you renew the listing. No reason to encourage lowball offers from the start.

Upvote 0
I just drop a hint on that CanonRumors Forum site, sit back and wait for the offers to roll in!!

Oops.

As George Costanza said: "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know...."

Seriously, CL now that I'm in a metro area again. Up in the Sierra foothills, not much market for L glass!

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
I just drop a hint on that CanonRumors Forum site, sit back and wait for the offers to roll in!!

Oops.

As George Costanza said: "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know...."

Seriously, CL now that I'm in a metro area again. Up in the Sierra foothills, not much market for L glass!

Yeah, I could see how I pulled a Costanza :). But if it works then that lens gets a good home and I do t have to deal with all the emails from spammers and scammers on CL.

Upvote 0
preppyak said:
dstppy said:
This thread's re-inspired me to get off my duff and get the writeups done tonight.

For one or two items, I've decided to state the price is firm (because I'm not really certain I want to sell them). On others that I have decided to be a little flexible on, is it enough to not state it's firm?

Is it even worth mentioning not to lowball, or just outright ignore the responses?
People are gonna low-ball you no matter what you put in your listing, just ignore them. But, coming off harsh might actually scare a real buyer away.

All I do is list the condition, reason why I'm selling, and then state the price and that the deal is cash only, local pickup. If you decide to be flexible on price, wait a few days, then add that to the description when you renew the listing. No reason to encourage lowball offers from the start.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
So there is no misunderstanding. My comment wasn't about anyone or what they may or may not be doing. It was just a dumb joke. If a piece of equipment gets moved around because of a discussion here, that's great. I'm not a moderator here -- and I don't even play one on TV. (Another dumb joke!)

bykes said:
distant.star said:

Oops.

Yeah, I could see how I pulled a Costanza :). But if it works then that lens gets a good home and I do t have to deal with all the emails from spammers and scammers on CL.

Upvote 0
I have sold stuff on CL with no issues, expensive guitar included.

In addition to that excellent advice already given (cash only, meet inside a public place, etc...), write up a bill of sale, make two copies and both of you sign and date it in blue ink.

Something like this,
------------
I, <your name> sell my Canon 10-22 EF-S lens, serial number <######> to <buyer name>, AS IS.
-------------

The "AS IS" protects you (in my state anyway) from the buyer assuming any warranty is expressed or implied. No buyer should have a problem signing this, it protects you both.

Upvote 0
So, I'm at almost a week of having stuff up (CL), and I refreshed it once. I got one reply, which I took as phishing (asked if I was sure about condition of item and there were SEVERAL clear pictures and if it was still available just after posting) so I let it go without a response.

Today I got two identical messages from a similarly named guy/email at gmail but it said that the e-mail only traced back to CL's server.

Since I asked for a phone number in the first response, and these don't appear to be written in clear English; is it better to give a pass on these?

Is there a way to respond (didn't see one) with a hidden address like Ebay does?

Thanks folks.

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
So, I'm at almost a week of having stuff up (CL), and I refreshed it once. I got one reply, which I took as phishing (asked if I was sure about condition of item and there were SEVERAL clear pictures and if it was still available just after posting) so I let it go without a response.

Today I got two identical messages from a similarly named guy/email at gmail but it said that the e-mail only traced back to CL's server.

Since I asked for a phone number in the first response, and these don't appear to be written in clear English; is it better to give a pass on these?

Is there a way to respond (didn't see one) with a hidden address like Ebay does?

Thanks folks.

I get a lot of those too. They say things like. "Is your item still available?" They don't mention what you are selling at all and aren't written in proper english. They are tempting to respond too. Especially since I'm not getting any legit offers.

Just ignore them and only respond if the person says they live in the area or mentions what you are selling in their initial email.

Lots of scammers and spammers on CL.

Upvote 0
I just sold a 24-105, 430EXII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, and a new Xbox 360 (bought with credit card points that were going to expire) in less than a week on Kijiji, CL, and a local forum. All cash deals where I met the buyer at a neutral location. Check market value and make sure you're not expecting too much for what you're selling. Also, indicate in your ad that you will not be responding to lowball offers.

Upvote 0
That reminds me -- you really can (perhaps should) give things away sometimes. A woman on CL locally was looking for items for a photography class she was going to give for children this past summer. I gave her a bunch of expired B&W film, couple of old compact film cameras and a couple of Yashica rangefinders -- and a light meter.

The caveat is to make sure it's a legitimate organization. They'll give you a letter for charitable donation to a tax-exempt organization if you want it for tax purposes.

Makes me happy to know there will be some teens in a few years taking pictures with iPhones -- but who also know how to use a rangefinder and film!

dilbert said:
I find try to find a direct family member that will appreciate it for free.

Upvote 0
superotaku78 said:
Check market value and make sure you're not expected too much for what you're selling. Also, indicate in your ad that you will not be responding to lowball offers.

I tried to kill two birds with one stone here:
Listed at what basically people were asking for used (high IMO)
Only going to respond to people with reasonable ballpark offers (e.g. where a 'meet in the middle' price is something I'm comfortable with)

I think it may be the region I selected; there's another nearby that's probably more popular, but I wanted to give a realistic expectation as to location.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
I use CL exclusively. You need to decide what you're willing to take. Personally, I only buy for 70% or less of the current new item price. I've had good luck selling at 75-80% of new. Include good pics in your ad, product -type pics ('seamless' white background, a piece of paper works just crop tight). Ask for a phone number in the reply.

+1....on CL. I recently sold my 50mm f1.4. I posted at 3:30PM and the lens is sold by 6:30PM same day. The lens sold at $290 - current price tag for NEW is $360.

As Neuro mentioned....you need to know current market price and don't expect to get 90% of new. Under html, post 5-6 clear decent size pictures - make your decripstion short and clear. The main things are PICTURES & SELLING PRICE.

Upvote 0
Yeah, +1 for CL as well. I've had some amazingly good experiences and luck selling stuff on there. Met some great people but have dealt with some incredibly annoying people that will offer you disgustingly low prices on equipment.

I was recently selling my 50mm 1.2 on there and had someone offer me 400 for it...ended up selling it to someone for 1100 tho, so turned out pretty good.

Having a hard time getting rid of my 100mm 2.8 L macro on there tho :/ Been listed for 2 weeks now with 0 interest. Priced it at 800 with a free B+W UV filter, original receipt from BHphoto (was only purchased 45 days ago) and all the contents and accessories :/

Oh well, we'll see how it goes when I bump it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dstppy said:
I don't think you can move region, only remove and repost on CL, right?

No, you cannot move a post. But why remove? Just post on more than one board. Normally, the buyer travels to the seller, but if you post in a board that's a distance from you, be prepared for some push back from a buyer on travel, which is reasonable. Someone from New Hampshire posted an ad on the Boston board, and agreed to drive down to Boston (where I am) to make the sale.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.