I'm making a 4:4:4/4:2:2 16/14/12/10-bit codec for Canon DSLR's

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
HarryFilm said:
YOU try programming a codec that does all that you saw in the screen capture!

Actually, that screen capture does show nothing but a lot of simple controls laid down in an ugly UI, all the sliders the same - something that takes less than half an hour using the visual design tool you used (you could have changed the application icon form the default one...). Feel free to publish a working sample, of course, maybe with one of your videos of Nessie, or your neighbour Elvis singing at your last birthday. But do it before ninjas from Canon (you can spot them form the red ring around the neck) delete all your files because you shamed them so much.

You know, technical people are skeptical one, as long as they don't see something work as advertised, they don't believe it at all. It's in the DNA...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Zeidora said:
MODERATORS: please shut this thread down. Nothing even vaguely constructive or interesting coming out of it. Thank you.

I'm sympathetic, but opposed to shutting down threads simply because they are not constructive or are uninteresting. If those were the standards, we wouldn't have very many threads on this site.

I do however, see enough red flags popping up in Harry's comments that I think it might be a good idea for the moderators to flag his IP Address for the authorities just in case. There is a certain level of aggression here (The talk about armed drone strikes for example) that suggests a friendly visit from the local police as a precautionary measure might be prudent.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
JBSF said:
Didn't I just see Rey pull one of these out of a junked freighter and install it in the Millenium Falcon?

I think you have your science fiction mixed up a wee bit....

The screen capture is of the Gamma Quadrant codec. Gamma Quadrant is where Buzz Lightyear is searching for the evil emperor Zurg.... and that is why this codec will compress a file to infinity, AND BEYOND!

And by the way Harry, if you can really make this work, "you have saved our lives, we are eternally grateful"

I don't know which universe you're from, Don, but in my universe the whole Buzz Lightyear thing happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

I believe that Harry is actually a Changeling, one of the Founders of the Dominion. He's here to pave the way for their forthcoming invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, and this codec will be so popular that every camera owner in the world will download it, leading to mass hysteria and a weakening of our species' resolve when it turns out to offer only 4:1:1 chroma subsampling and 8-bit output.

Beam me up!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
I am a believer in the multiverse, where there are an infinite number of parallel universes, all differing to some degree. In some, Buzz Lightyear is real, in some the changelings are getting ready to invade Alpha Quadrant, there is even a universe where Ahsanford has a Canon 50F1.4 IS Lens, but none of them have the magic codec....

A monkey with a typewriter producing the complete works of William Shakespeare, yes. Magic codec, no. Got it.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
unfocused said:
Zeidora said:
MODERATORS: please shut this thread down. Nothing even vaguely constructive or interesting coming out of it. Thank you.

I'm sympathetic, but opposed to shutting down threads simply because they are not constructive or are uninteresting. If those were the standards, we wouldn't have very many threads on this site.

I do however, see enough red flags popping up in Harry's comments that I think it might be a good idea for the moderators to flag his IP Address for the authorities just in case. There is a certain level of aggression here (The talk about armed drone strikes for example) that suggests a friendly visit from the local police as a precautionary measure might be prudent.
If the moderators do not shut it I guess we are allowed to call Harry names for such bullsh!t though.

Harry unless you have code that can be installed on a camera you are a LIAR. Period.

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
Here is a screenshot of the Windows, iOS, MacOS, Android and Linux CODEC control program which can be run in almost ANY video editor, video player and transcoder application that is Windows Direct-X/Apple/Linux/iOS/Android compatible (i.e. BM Resolve, Adobe CC, Corel Video Studio, Vegas, Avid, Lightworks, FCP-Pro, AVI-Synth, Virtual Dub).
[...]
The screenshot does not prove anything. I can make it with a mockup tool in less than 10min and a more beautiful and functional one, too. The screenshot you provided actually indicates that you don't know simple principle of hierarchical design. Who puts ALL options ON THE SAME SCREEN and CLUTTERS the view? Now I UNDERSTAND why your testing is taking so much time. If you want to TEST it (combinatorial testing) as it is it would take close to infinite time to TRULY TEST IT ALL.
And by the way, in your screenshot there was no option to load an image or video file!!
Anyway, your screenshot does not show that there is actually a working program behind it that could possibly accept a user's settings and produce something good using the in-camera processing resources.
And let's make it easier for you: if your supposed program (codec whatever) runs on any of those OS flavors mentioned, forget the in camera processing and release the code for skeptic users to just run it on their computer and check whether it can encode/decode/transcode a sample MXF or MP4 file recorded by a camera. If you do that a skeptic user can find that there is actually something going on in your claim.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
tron said:
...Harry unless you have code that can be installed on a camera you are a LIAR. Period.

This is what I can't get my head around. Harry started out talking about how he was going to create a magic code for Canon that was supposed to do remarkable video things. Since I don't do video, I didn't really care, but just found it mildly interesting.

Then, multiple pages later he's showing some Commodore 64 style computer screen shot that proves his success and I'm wondering what the heck that has to do with his original project. Now he's talking about a super secret encoding so that clients can only see photos if they have the code, and I'm wondering how he thinks these "clients" are supposed to use these encoded photos that only they can see.

Along the way he's talking about firing missiles from drones and babbling about a large sensor smart phone that even a technology idiot like me can see would have to defy the laws of physics to work.

I kind of want to see how this all ends, because I'm curious just what kind of delusional we are dealing with here.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
JBSF said:
Didn't I just see Rey pull one of these out of a junked freighter and install it in the Millenium Falcon?

I think you have your science fiction mixed up a wee bit....

The screen capture is of the Gamma Quadrant codec. Gamma Quadrant is where Buzz Lightyear is searching for the evil emperor Zurg.... and that is why this codec will compress a file to infinity, AND BEYOND!

And by the way Harry, if you can really make this work, "you have saved our lives, we are eternally grateful"

I don't know which universe you're from, Don, but in my universe the whole Buzz Lightyear thing happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

I believe that Harry is actually a Changeling, one of the Founders of the Dominion. He's here to pave the way for their forthcoming invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, and this codec will be so popular that every camera owner in the world will download it, leading to mass hysteria and a weakening of our species' resolve when it turns out to offer only 4:1:1 chroma subsampling and 8-bit output.

Beam me up!

===

THANK YOU!!!! You were the ONLY ONE who got the reference!

My Gamma Quadrant CODEC name is from STAR TREK VOYAGER in the 1990's
where the crew of the Voyager were sent to the Delta Quadrant but in
THIS CASE i thought Gamma Quadrant was more appropriate!

-- I put 4:1:1 in there for the DV (i.e. 1990's Digital TAPE-based video format)
because in some case for scientific visualization one needs specific luma/chroma
information NOT offered by 4:2:0 and there CUSTOM sampling schema such as Hexachromatic used within specialized systems.

Upvote 0
bhf3737 said:
HarryFilm said:
Here is a screenshot of the Windows, iOS, MacOS, Android and Linux CODEC control program which can be run in almost ANY video editor, video player and transcoder application that is Windows Direct-X/Apple/Linux/iOS/Android compatible (i.e. BM Resolve, Adobe CC, Corel Video Studio, Vegas, Avid, Lightworks, FCP-Pro, AVI-Synth, Virtual Dub).
[...]
The screenshot does not prove anything. I can make it with a mockup tool in less than 10min and a more beautiful and functional one, too. The screenshot you provided actually indicates that you don't know simple principle of hierarchical design. Who puts ALL options ON THE SAME SCREEN and CLUTTERS the view? Now I UNDERSTAND why your testing is taking so much time. If you want to TEST it (combinatorial testing) as it is it would take close to infinite time to TRULY TEST IT ALL.
And by the way, in your screenshot there was no option to load an image or video file!!
Anyway, your screenshot does not show that there is actually a working program behind it that could possibly accept a user's settings and produce something good using the in-camera processing resources.
And let's make it easier for you: if your supposed program (codec whatever) runs on any of those OS flavors mentioned, forget the in camera processing and release the code for skeptic users to just run it on their computer and check whether it can encode/decode/transcode a sample MXF or MP4 file recorded by a camera. If you do that a skeptic user can find that there is actually something going on in your claim.

---

The user interface is a simple control system. It's NOT MEANT to be pretty!
The CODEC is meant FOR THE CAMERA...the menu system just controls it outside of a camera. The load imagery (media files) button is on another screen - I was just showing you what options ARE AVAILABLE!

And combinatorial system testing IS A NO BRAINER...I have a four GPU system,
it takes MERE MINUTES to do all the combinations of PIXEL TYPES, resolutions, bit rate and pixel depth.

My Testing of codec itself IS NOT THE ISSUE...the codec works fine!
It's the hook into Canon's onboard Camera BIOS that is the issue!

I am having the SAME ISSUES that Magic Lantern had. You can BRICK
a camera if you put a BIOS hook in the wrong place in the Microcode.
My codec is useless if it can't get loaded onto the camera properly
and hook into the right microcode addresses ... and EACH MODEL
is different ESPECIALLY the 1Dx/1Dc and C100/C200/C300/C500/C700
series which are the MOST problematic. on the higher end models,
you normally have to send them into Canon to get bios upgrades.
I have figured out a more gentle method to upload a bios addition
in those higher end models.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Wondering?? It's all about providing some insane humour on a sometimes boring CR site. ;) And some want it shut down? :) I say let it play out.

Jack

Couldn't agree more. Between the "canon is doomed" and "Sony kicks canons ass" comments, and all the same snarky canon user comments in defence, it all gets a little boring to read day after day, page after page.

At least with this, I feel like I'm a reading a conspiracy theory short story. I'm hooked. I can't wait to see how it plays out. ;D

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
Ryananthony said:
I'm hooked. I can't wait to see how it plays out. ;D

Ah, but it doesn't end! You see, tomorrow Scheherazade...I mean Harry, will come up with another tale of wonder to keep us enthralled.

===

Here is some ACTUAL CODEC CODE I am using in this project.
It is just a small slice of what I can do...AND it is VERY VERY REAL !!!!

My code is something people can EASILY read and understand!
I created it all from scratch and it can do things people cannot even imagine!

The Codec BIOS Loader is on-schedule for completion sometime just after the end of NAB.......

Be Here For The Reveal or Be Square!

Attachments

• Code_Example_1.jpg
    Code_Example_1.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Code_Example_2.jpg
    Code_Example_2.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
Orangutan said:
Ryananthony said:
I'm hooked. I can't wait to see how it plays out. ;D

Ah, but it doesn't end! You see, tomorrow Scheherazade...I mean Harry, will come up with another tale of wonder to keep us enthralled.

===

The Codec BIOS Loader is on-schedule for completion sometime just after the end of NAB.......

Harry, if the codec runs outside of a camera, isn't it time for external code-review?

By the way, what language is that? Seems to have a mix of features I don't recognize. But then, I've been out of programming for quite a while.

Please understand that NOTHING (sic) you've predicted has become reality so far, so you need to be careful to maintain plot continuity.

index.php

Upvote 0
tron said:
Actual code my .....
These are actual comments .... actually ;D

Different languages use different constructs for inline comments; also, some do not have a Function keyword, and others are case-sensitive. Yours has a combination of language features I don't recognize as pertaining to one, single language. Again, it could be a newer language/variant I haven't used, but...

Plot continuity...

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:

So you have written your code for the CODEC in Pascal!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
That is your evidence!

Upvote 0
bhf3737 said:
HarryFilm said:

So you have written your code for the CODEC in Pascal!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
That is your evidence!
I had forgotten that {} were valid comment delimiters in Pascal. Well, he did mention Pascal early in this thread.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33975.msg703551#msg703551

Upvote 0