In need of a shoulder strap for 5D3 + 70-200 IS II

I am looking to get me a BlackRapid strap or something in that line which I can use with my 5D3. In most scenarios I use my the 5D3 on my tripod for landscape shots, but at times I like to detach it from the tripod and shoot handheld. When handheld, I like the camera to have some form of secured strap which I can use to wrap around my wrist or leave it hanging on the side of my shoulder.

I am looking for something that is reliable, secured, and I can attach/detach the strap with ease depending on my shooting scenarios. The heaviest load it will need to withstand is 5D3 + 70-200 IS II. Any advice or recommendations? Oh also anyone used a wrist hand-strap, any recommendations on that? Thanks.

Sep 8, 2014
I'm currently using a combination of a Peak Design Clutch (hand strap) and Slide (shoulder strap) on my gripped 6D with 70-200 IS II. The grip attachment allows both straps to be attached at the same time without anything tangling on each other and the straps take seconds to get on and off the camera. I leave the Clutch on at all times and switch the Slide on and off depending on what I am doing (eg: using a tripod)

Upvote 0
I have a custom slr C-loop, glide strap and M-plate with handstrap accessory attachment. With the M-plate, you do not have to remove the strap to place it on a ballhead because it has an offset position to install the C-loop and the plate has an arca-swiss dovetail built-in.

http://www.customslr.com/

Upvote 0
Do check out the Luma Labs Cinch Strap.

http://www.1kindphotography.com/2014/01/review-luma-labs-cinch-2-camera-strap.html

It comes with an arca-compatible plate with an attachment point build in so you can put it on your tripod without taking the strap off.

It attaches at TWO points on the camera, not one like the BR and the others, so the camera cannot twirl and dangle but remains against your body.

And of course it has the "cinching" ability, which lets you lengthen it for shooting or shorten it for carrying just by sliding the buckle thingy. Very very handy.

I love mine.

Upvote 0
I use the Blackrapid Sport strap (sometimes the stabilization strap comes really handy) and the Clutch wrist strap. I also have the Camdapter, Nikon Hand strap II and Canon straps- the Clutch is by far the most convenient and ergonomic. However, if you want true security, the Nikon one is the best- I remember holding my 5DII out through the railings of the Empire State Building to shoot panoramas, and I had no worry about dropping it.
The BR is a bit clunky, though- maybe I should try out the Slide...

Upvote 0
Some nice info already. I like the Peak Design's Slide and Clutch. I really like the fact you can still mount your camera on the tripod with that strap attached (which can be taken off with ease as well). Is there something similar in configuration for BR straps? Custom SLR has M-Plate, and Luma Labs too, for the same purpose.

Anyone of you had any issues (shoulder pain, or back pain) with any of these straps with a load like the 70-200 IS II + Body? What about the strength of these straps, overtime does it wear out? I am worried about those plastic snap-ons that are used to disengage the Camera from the straps.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

killswitch said:
Some nice info already. I like the Peak Design's Slide and Clutch. I really like the fact you can still mount your camera on the tripod with that strap attached (which can be taken off with ease as well). Is there something similar in configuration for BR straps? Custom SLR has M-Plate, and Luma Labs too, for the same purpose.

Anyone of you had any issues (shoulder pain, or back pain) with any of these straps with a load like the 70-200 IS II + Body? What about the strength of these straps, overtime does it wear out? I am worried about those plastic snap-ons that are used to disengage the Camera from the straps.

Well, the only strap I've used that didn't have any neck fatigue is the Sunsniper... this I think is due to the elastic bungee incorporated between the strap and the shoulder pad. The Black rapids have twice failed with the metal attachment to the swivel...TWICE! I'll never use them again unless there is a secondary failsafe on them.

The Slide and Clutch attachment I bought extra plastic pins and test with 240 pounds of gym weight and they never budged... call me gun shy but I had to check. I do think the might wear after time but they are made from Vectran and that stuff is very tough. I use that product for windsurfing/kite surfing... I would def check them every so often but I do that with any of my gear.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
killswitch said:
I am looking to get me a BlackRapid strap or something in that line which I can use with my 5D3. In most scenarios I use my the 5D3 on my tripod for landscape shots, but at times I like to detach it from the tripod and shoot handheld. When handheld, I like the camera to have some form of secured strap which I can use to wrap around my wrist or leave it hanging on the side of my shoulder.

I am looking for something that is reliable, secured, and I can attach/detach the strap with ease depending on my shooting scenarios. The heaviest load it will need to withstand is 5D3 + 70-200 IS II. Any advice or recommendations? Oh also anyone used a wrist strap, any recommendations on that? Thanks.

I use a Blackrapid strap with a Kirk 1" clamp attached to the lug – comfortable to carry, easy to move clamp from the Arca plates on body to lens, or remove for tripod/monopod use.

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
Im not trying to sell anything, only my thoughts that a little setup that can help you, this setup I use when I have my vest for ultra light shooting. http://www.nekolah.com/intl/arcaswissblkrapidcombination/

I use this one today because I find it very useful for putting it on my CPS neck strap, people say that the CPS neck strap is not comfy cause its on the neck but thats not true at all you can move it to any side, its really neat if you already use a L bracket http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Screw-Knob-Clamps/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses.html
hope it helps anyone out, im sure that guys have something like this.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
For all my cameras I use a Black Rapid, either a full size strap or a Cross Shot (Which I LOVE) and a Kirk 1" QR release clamp attached to the Fastnr. I have either L plates or A/S camera plates on my bodies with slots for hand straps. I like the Custom SLR handstrap. It's the least expensive and most comfortable I've found, ymmv.

Upvote 0
I carry a 70-200 around on my camera quite often and I find the Luma Labs Cinch Strap does a great job. No pain I have ever noticed and I find the fact the thing is attached to 2 points on the camera makes it more stable. It cannot twirl like it can if dangling from a single point like BR and most other shoulder straps use.

Upvote 0
Nothing to beat BlackRapid. I have the Sport edition. The strap shoulder piece is on the right shoulder with the camera and 70-200 L IS Mk II at waist level on my left. I've walked for kilometres on end with this set up in various cities in most climes. It's a cinch to switch to a tripod though I've never timed myself doing the transition.

I had an Op Tech USA strap but it's been sitting in a closet somewhere and switched to BR once I got the 70-200.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
killswitch said:

I am looking for something that is reliable, secured, and I can attach/detach the strap with ease depending on my shooting scenarios. The heaviest load it will need to withstand is 5D3 + 70-200 IS II. Any advice or recommendations? Oh also anyone used a wrist strap, any recommendations on that? Thanks.
Peak Design has exactly what you are looking for:
https://peakdesign.com/store/?c=straps&gclid=COyPhsjenMMCFU5vvAod01UATQ
Nothing touches them especially if you're moving from sling to tripod as their design doesn't use the tripod screw by default. Have a look.

Whenever these threads come up which is pretty often, I just have to wave the Peak Design flag. Certain equipment choices seem to bring out the Obsessive Compulsive in me. Over time I have tried just about every pro strap system on the planet including the well marketed, alluringly named Black Rapid. BR is fine and has a legion of fans, but in my demanding shooting schedule, Peak Design is the only one that doesn't have any obvious annoyances or irritating limitations.

As a bonus the perfectly secure quick release system allows for almost instant strap removal. Straps can be annoying when shooting video or when using long lenses on a tripod, especially in windy conditions using a slow shutter speed. A strap flapping in the wind on a tripod mounted long lens may introduce camera shake.

-pw

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
killswitch said:

I bought Peak Design when they first did their KickStarter program. The Anchors looked like the weakest point to me, so I bought spare ones https://peakdesign.com/store/anchors but they're still sitting unused after a few years hard labor. The Anchors may look a bit light but they're fine. They get regular checks and as soon as see ANY fraying I'll replace them. The actual socket-like Anchor Links which you can buy separately https://peakdesign.com/store/anchor-links are also stronger than they first appear. It's compact, very well engineered and strong.

-pw

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pwp said:
Whenever these threads come up which is pretty often, I just have to wave the Peak Design flag.

Often when that flag is waved, I ask how the Peak Design system attaches to an Arca-style lens plate (a real one, not Peak's little square plate that may not allow balancing the load in a tripod clamp).

Also, just to point out:

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/17/peak-design-strap-failures-causing-dropped-cameras-photographers/

Upvote 0