Industry News: Canon Still #2 in Full Frame Mirrorless Market

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What communities do you recommend for posting images for constructive feedback that helps you improve? How genre specific are these preferences?
For me, small scale workshops have taught me a lot in areas I didn't expect. I mostly do macro, so context is hard to gauge from the end result. At the workshops the instructor asked why I would pick a specific side of a flower and pointed out better framing devices on the other side.

In the butterfly and dragonflies threads here on canonrumors people aren't shy to share their techniques, approach and even some failed shots. I find that very instructive and sidesteps the issue that people, in general, react badly to any and every form of criticism, however well intended.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I've used professionally Canon since 2003, and for the first time I'm really considering switching to Sony, I really disagree with Canon glass prices and also we don't have third parties glasses options...I still using the, 28 1.8 bought in 2007, 16-35 2.8 LII bought in 2009, 70-200 2.8 L bought in 2011, and 24-70 2.8 LII bought in 2014, now Canon is dropping the EF and soon will not price maintenance for these glasses...and we will be f**
That's a funny history considering someone who started to shoot with the Sony Mavica with floppy disk LOL
I have 24-105L and 100-400L EF glass (bought between 2017 to 2019) and you know what? the EF-R converter is working perfectly with them on my R5. So the issue of "I have expensive glass, it is another mount" is no issue at all. Switching to another brand means that you either need to buy all new glass or, surprise!, a converter to match the lens to the body. So it all ends in a 99$ converter that you can buy and resolve all your troubles.

Attachments

• R5_10417M.jpg
    R5_10417M.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For me, small scale workshops have taught me a lot in areas I didn't expect. I mostly do macro, so context is hard to gauge from the end result. At the workshops the instructor asked why I would pick a specific side of a flower and pointed out better framing devices on the other side.

In the butterfly and dragonflies threads here on canonrumors people aren't shy to share their techniques, approach and even some failed shots. I find that very instructive and sidesteps the issue that people, in general, react badly to any and every form of criticism, however well intended.
I had a tough learning curve from the mods on a Dutch bird site, birdpix.nl. If you want a straight answer go to the Netherlands - which is easy for you!

Upvote 0
As a M43 shooter, I'm used to reading armchair photographers belittling my gear choices. Never had an actual serious photographer look down on me for it though, if anything, the people I usually shoot with are curious about all systems and what they have to offer.
What really grinds my gears is condescendence. This attitude of " oh you got that camera, that's cute, mine does 16K120FPS" as if those of us that invest the time. money and effort in photography are not smart enough to read reviews, check the market and make an informed decision. I think it is safe t say that most of us here chose the gear we shoot with, we weren't sold anything. And they kind of people that are sold something, will probably be happy with whatever they end up being sold and don't really frequent these forums.

It is funny to see though how the argumentation changes with time depending who's got the shiniest toy on offer. we all have heard that if you can't get the shot with 12fps you can't get it with 20, but now that my brand of choice does 30, how come you settle for 20? Same with MPx, AF points,

That's one thing that I think sets this site apart. There's very knowledgeable people that, granted not always with the best manners, provide some actual value. I've even learnt some Latin here :LOL:

Upvote 0