Industry News: Here are the first press images of the Nikon Z6 & Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

I think that's just the dioptre adjustment.
The little button on the other side intrigues me though. I don't know Nikon cameras, anyone know what that symbol is? (it's not the focal plain marker)
Could be a button to change the EVF display to another mode (e.g. from a display with exposure info on the bottom to a ff display?).

Upvote 0
The 24-70 looks like it has an adapter bolted on; it will be interesting to see if there are any glass elements in the last 2cm before the mount.
Also: did you notice the 24-70 has an "off" position, so needs to be rotated out of that position before use, and extends quite a bit already at 24mm. Not ideal for operation, unless you leave it extended all the time...
Perhaps the barrel part that looks like an adapter is only "filled with glass" when you rotate the lens to the "off" position (dot)?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Nokishita has updated the original link with specs, just for the Z7 so far. Highly likely correct at this stage.

Black = verbatim from that site, blue = my commentary

Nikon Z7 (45 x 9 = effectively, a mirrorless D850)
  • 45.7 MP back-illuminated CMOS
  • EXPEED 6 (Believe the D850 was EXPEED 5)
  • The hybrid AF system covers about 90% of the imaging area (Good on Nikon, no need to say 4 gajillion AF points with mirrorless)
  • Continuous: 9 frames / sec (With or without the grip? :D)
  • 3.2" touchscreen
  • Recording medium: XQD card (umm... only one?! Not sure this is saying that, but keep an eye on this)
  • Size: 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm
  • Weight: 675 g (~ 70% the weight of a D850 body)
  • British pricing: body:£3399, lens kit:£3499, 24-70mm kit:£3999, 24-70mm + FTZ:£4099 (In line with UK D850 prices, I believe)
No comment on video, IBIS, max shutter speed, presence of an e-shutter, etc. so there's plenty of meat still on the bone to be revealed.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I think the optical formula patents for several Nikon Z-mount lenses specified a 16mm flange distance, which puts it 2mm shorter than Sony's. And it would be really cool if Canon used the existing EF mount and designed their mirrorless lenses to be recessed into the body - that would actually make the lens's physical dimensions appear smaller when attached to the camera unlike Sony and Nikon. It would also provide a better balance of weight distribution and long-term use ergonomics.

I agree. I really would like to see the same mount. I don’t care if the camera depth is 2mm or 6 mm longer. It really makes no practical difference. I’ve also been hoping they would have extended into-the-body lenses. It’s not difficult, or new. My leica’s had that for decades.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Nokishita has updated the original link with specs, just for the Z7 so far. Highly likely correct at this stage.

Black = verbatim from that site, blue = my commentary

Nikon Z7 (45 x 9 = effectively, a mirrorless D850)
  • 45.7 MP back-illuminated CMOS
  • EXPEED 6 (Believe the D850 was EXPEED 5)
  • The hybrid AF system covers about 90% of the imaging area (Good on Nikon, no need to say 4 gajillion AF points with mirrorless)
  • Continuous: 9 frames / sec (With or without the grip? :D)
  • 3.2" touchscreen
  • Recording medium: XQD card (umm... only one?! Not sure this is saying that, but keep an eye on this)
  • Size: 134 x 100.5 x 67.5 mm
  • Weight: 675 g (~ 70% the weight of a D850 body)
  • British pricing: body:£3399, lens kit:£3499, 24-70mm kit:£3999, 24-70mm + FTZ:£4099 (In line with UK D850 prices, I believe)
No comment on video, IBIS, max shutter speed, presence of an e-shutter, etc. so there's plenty of meat still on the bone to be revealed.

- A

$5300 for the Z7 and 24-70 lens at the current exchange rate.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If true, Nikon Z6 = 24 MP x 12 fps, which means between the Z6 and A7 III, 24 x (at least 10) will now be the entry level specs / price point for FF mirrorless going forward. That is ridiculous.

It's possible those Z6 specs are wrong. With the D6XX / D7XX / D8XX SLR portfolio, Nikon has shown a preference for a good/better/best setup. If that is their mirrorless plan as well, something like 24 x 8 would make more sense for the Z6.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If curious:
Nikon-mirrorless-vs-DSLR-camera-comparison-by-echo_es22-for-NikonRumors.gif

Note that the mirrorless is 24-70 f/4 while the SLR is 24-120, so (as expected) Nikon hasn't found a way for lenses to magically get smaller. I must admit I'm a bit curious how they got that mirrorless lens barrel diameter so much smaller without punishing the IQ somehow.

- A

Upvote 0