Industry News: Nikon announces the entry-level full-frame Nikon Z 5, a new lens and teleconverters

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Making it a even better buy with the RP. Other on the Nikon side the 24-50mm seems hated. But honestly, if someone buys this or a RP I am not going to loose sleep, just let them take nice photos.
That macro feature alone coupled with current rebate prices(and DPAF) is why I am finding RP very tempting though due to current lockdowns avoiding spending money on new cameras. My primary use is macro and occasional behavioural videos of frogs and snakes(so dont mind the crop).

Upvote 0
Canon was mocked for recycling 18MP sensor but no one seems to pay attention to recycling of 24MP sensor.
Well, yes, but with the important difference that Nikon started using on-sensor ADCs many years before Canon. So even if the Z5 reuses the sensor from the D750 as it is being rumored, that sensor will outperform the R, RP, 6dii, and 5div in terms of low iso DR by a significant margin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I agree, the price segment they went for is sort of in no-mans land.
This new Nikon is £800 less than the R6.
And with the Nikon you get a free lens and 4 extra MP.

Of course we don't yet know how well the AF and IBIS systems will compare - but that is quite a wide price difference. I feel it's Canon which has gone for the 'no man's land' price segments

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Looks like a lovely wee Camera, I just finished a wee over view video(Ricci Talks) on it and it seems to hit all the marks for a entry level FF. Still was hoping to see the Z6s and Z7s announced with it, but it looks like they'll be a longer wait before I can compare these to the R5 and R6.

The biggest flaw here with the Z5 is it just can't compete with the RP on price, and that is where I feel this could have been aimed more squarely at. Camera manufactures are going to be pushed kicking and screaming into the sub £1000 FF market.
Fortunately, it's weather sealed so you can wee over it.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Looks like a lovely wee Camera, I just finished a wee over view video(Ricci Talks) on it and it seems to hit all the marks for a entry level FF. Still was hoping to see the Z6s and Z7s announced with it, but it looks like they'll be a longer wait before I can compare these to the R5 and R6.

The biggest flaw here with the Z5 is it just can't compete with the RP on price, and that is where I feel this could have been aimed more squarely at. Camera manufactures are going to be pushed kicking and screaming into the sub £1000 FF market.

At introductory prices for both cameras, for $100 more, the canon has a better screen, that articulates. I would miss that. But with the added IBIS, if I had to purchase based on body alone, I would go for the Nikon. Of course there are more differences, but for me the IBIS is a major feature can't live without.

Upvote 0
This new Nikon is £800 less than the R6.
And with the Nikon you get a free lens and 4 extra MP.

Of course we don't yet know how well the AF and IBIS systems will compare - but that is quite a wide price difference. I feel it's Canon which has gone for the 'no man's land' price segments
Agree. Although if you‘d prefer a 24-70f4 lens you could as well get a Z6 kit right now at around the same price or cheaper than getting the Z5 and 24-70 separately.

Interestingly, even the Z6+24-70f4 kit is not more expensive than the R body alone....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
And as a cheeky aside. The more than fashionably late 70-200 S works with the extenders. But it looks way to big for the current Z bodies... The lens and body departments in Nikon and Canon seem to be really out of step with each other in some places. Like the range of 1.8 S lenses just feel perfect on the Z. The RF 70-200 is perfect on the R, but then the f/1.2 lenses are just massively unbalanced looking and dying for a bigger body behind them.

The Canon RF70-200 compared to the horse's leg Nikon 70-200 is the best example of why I switched to Canon last year after decades, and as a happy Z6 owner. Also the lightweight 400 f2.8, 11-24, and other great lenses for which Nikon had nothing comparable in the offing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The Canon RF70-200 compared to the horse's leg Nikon 70-200 is the best example of why I switched to Canon last year after decades, and as a happy Z6 owner. Also the lightweight 400 f2.8, 11-24, and other great lenses for which Nikon had nothing comparable in the offing.

I am keeping my feet in both camps. Canon don't have a super light 500mm f/5.6 prime and Nikon don't have a lovely collection of tilt shifts nor that little fat 70-200

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
At introductory prices for both cameras, for $100 more, the canon has a better screen, that articulates. I would miss that. But with the added IBIS, if I had to purchase based on body alone, I would go for the Nikon. Of course there are more differences, but for me the IBIS is a major feature can't live without.

I actually preferred the Nikon tilt to the Canon swing and twist, at least initially after my Nikon to Canon transition last year. It's far faster for low ground shots in horizontal mode, as one does with fast kid shots. One simple motion instead of two more complex ones, including a twist that always is in the wrong direction, making it three motions (flip, try wrong, twist right).

Upvote 0
I actually preferred the Nikon tilt to the Canon swing and twist, at least initially after my Nikon to Canon transition last year. It's far faster for low ground shots in horizontal mode, as one does with fast kid shots. One simple motion instead of two more complex ones, including a twist that always is in the wrong direction, making it three motions (flip, try wrong, twist right).

Both types have their advantages. I'm trying to patent a design that let's a user do it both ways with one screen.

Upvote 0
Something I noticed on DPR: the press release says "the new teleconverters allow Nikon Z series cameras to retain functionality on all focus points up to f/11" - whereas the new Canon bodies retain AF with the new TCs down to f/22. Unless I'm missing something, that's a fairly big difference (for a small number of people).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Something I noticed on DPR: the press release says "the new teleconverters allow Nikon Z series cameras to retain functionality on all focus points up to f/11" - whereas the new Canon bodies retain AF with the new TCs down to f/22. Unless I'm missing something, that's a fairly big difference (for a small number of people).

I think it is safe to say that is based on current cameras. The Canon TC's are rated for what looks to be the best AF out there on the R5 and R6.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The point was more that I am not gonna be 'loyal' to a system and will just use both. The 50mm for my needs and a dedicated camera was less money than the RF 50mm. But I am not going to get that little fat 70-200 anywhere else that I can take on holiday as the everything lens.
I do use both: 100-400mm II and other zooms on my Canon bodies and the 500PF on my Nikon.

Upvote 0