Industry News: Nikon announces the entry-level full-frame Nikon Z 5, a new lens and teleconverters

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think it is safe to say that is based on current cameras. The Canon TC's are rated for what looks to be the best AF out there on the R5 and R6.
There are not detailed reports on those TCs to make those judgements. The Sony TCs are exceptionally good and better than Canon's EF ones according to those who have used both. The EF 1.4xTCIII is very good but the 2.0xTCIII takes quite a hit on IQ. I hope Canon has new formulas for the RF extenders - they are expensive enough. Nikon's 2xTC is garbage, but they have also brought out new ones today for the Z series.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

There are not detailed reports on those TCs to make those judgements. The Sony TCs are exceptionally good and better than Canon's EF ones according to those who have used both. The EF 1.4xTCIII is very good but the 2.0xTCIII takes quite a hit on IQ. I hope Canon has new formulas for the RF extenders - they are expensive enough. Nikon's 2xTC is garbage, but they have also brought out new ones today for the Z series.
https://www.nikon.com/news/2020/0721_lens_03.htm sadly the sample pictures are tiny, at least what I can find.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
It is currently more than I paid for for my new Z6 (£1,399.99). And if we compare the the Z5 is £1719 with the 24-50 and the RP is £1359 with the 24-105 IS 7.1 edition. So going into a camera shop to buy my first camera: Canon is cheeper, has a longer zoom, both have IS(I won't care what kind of IS), and both are SD(and I won't care that one has 2 slots).

From a pro point of view it could make a good second camera like the Z6 does, but the Z6 is still there.
When did Canon introduce IS to the RP? That's the first time I hear of it.

Upvote 0
I think they should upgrade R instead with IBIS and joystick

that sounds like a good idea.

For me, don't really care about anything more than 1080.
1080 looks freaking fantastic with very good lenses.
Peter MicKinnon's video had a comment where a person wrote that his R5 video looked AMAZING and then he realized it was a clip from the GoPro! LOL!

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
If they did that, why would anyone buy the R6 then, The whole idea of offering the R6 at the same price point that was once occupied by the original R is that the R model will drop a notch or two to fill the gap between the RP and R6
Keep cropped video and slow fps on R to differentiate. More of a landscape and portrait camera than video/sports that R6 is.

Upvote 0
I wasn't clarifying, I have no idea what digital IBIS would involve. I can't imagine anything that would work on photos digitally

What you wrote about "IS" in your original post, clarified for me that you were talking about IS in the Lens, not the IS in the body. Thanks again.

I didn't write "digital IBIS". I wrote about the "Digital IS" feature in the camera body (sometimes referred to as "electronic stabilization"). There is a menu option to turn it on or off. And yes, it is similar to smoothing out in iMovie.

Upvote 0
Canon was mocked for recycling 18MP sensor but no one seems to pay attention to recycling of 24MP sensor.

In fairness, Canon started getting mocked when...
a) It had been doing the recycling for >4 years, and
b) It claimed with each new camera an "all-new sensor," when just the microlenses (or similar plumbing) were tweaked

Upvote 0

I found the Sony 1.4x TC to be comparable to the Canon version III, which is to say excellent. Both were noticeably better than the Sigma TC. But on the 2x versions, the Sony was slightly worse than the Canon, and both degraded quality noticeably. When shooting Canon, I'd occasionally (when reach limited) use the 2x. I learned not to use the Sony one at all, as image quality would be best with the 1.4x and cropping.

Of course, that's just my copies of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well, yes, but with the important difference that Nikon started using on-sensor ADCs many years before Canon. So even if the Z5 reuses the sensor from the D750 as it is being rumored, that sensor will outperform the R, RP, 6dii, and 5div in terms of low iso DR by a significant margin.

5DIV - by 0.6 stops. It's noticeable but not very significant. RP and 6DII will lag way behind, yes, but they are in different category, they shouldn't be put alongside the 5DIV and R.

And if you compare it to the R6 which has the same sensor as 1DXIII, the difference will be barely noticeable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0