Industry News: Sony Alpha a7S III coming July 28, 2020

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sony is going to officially announce the Alpha a7S III on July 28, 2020. This camera is probably as highly anticipated as the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 were.
Not much is confirmed about this new Sony, but most of the specifications should leak over the coming week or so.
Sony Addict has reported that the camera will likely come with 4K/60P, 4:2:2, and RAW video. along with passive cooling, though the camera won’t have the same level of weather sealing, as it reportedly has vents on either side of the camera. This design choice helps dissipate heat without the use of a fan, which does create noise.
It is also rumored to have a 12mp image sensor, which puts it well below...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Good. This should considerably reduce the amount of salt from angry Sony users towards Canon products, and the weird group of camera users who exist to complain about camera features on things they're not going to buy will have something new to focus on.

I agree. The negative is always louder than the positive on the internet.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Good. This should considerably reduce the amount of salt from angry Sony users towards Canon products, and the weird group of camera users who exist to complain about camera features on things they're not going to buy will have something new to focus on.
Yup, whole lotta faux outrage from people who couldn't afford the R5, never planned on buying the R5, don't shoot video, use slow SD cards, and/or don't even have computers than can handle 8K video.

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Sadly, it won't. That crap is in their DNA.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
I think Sony also is going to make a good camera, just like Canon have done with both the R5 and R6. It will be interesting to see how the A7s III matches the Sony Cinema lineup, and if it will get good autofocus like the Fx9. Will we see hints in the camera of what FX6, Fs5 iii or similar will offer?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I read that Sony uses around 600mbps for 4K120 when Canon has almost 1900 mbps. I’m not into video, but doesn’t that mean quite a bit of difference in IQ?
Yes, I cannot verify those numbers, but in theory the end result may be better image depending on codec used and editing workflow, and the higher bit rate is also likely more heat. Every toggling bit is a small amount of heat. That is why I keep telling all these whiners to talk about equivalent data rates and stop with their inane arguments and comparisons.

Apples to Apples the R5 and R6 are incredible offerings for video without compromising a thing for stills like these other cameras are. Everyone hated the outdated and heavy 5D4 codec (MP4), but it is detailed and easy on computers as it doesn't require transcoding. While the loss in quality of a lighter and more modern but still compressed codec may be minimal it still may be relevant to some.

An iphone or GoPro can shoot 4K60 for a long time compared to some of these 'limits' but is hardly comparable in quality to a full frame 45MP sensor with 15 stops of DR and big glass. Every time I see equivalent things compared properly, most of these brands are very close to one another in what they can get out of sensors, readout hardware, thermal dissipation, etc.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
In my mind this is much more of a low light niche camera than the R6. I hope it pleases Sony fanboys.

I think this is more video camera than stills camera, but it covers the bases I need and I already have the native lenses. I was considering a system swap this year until the R5/R6 limitations became clear it woudn't work for me. Really wanted my first RF lens this year, but my incoming Komodo doesn't support the RF protocol yet, so I guess I can wait a bit longer!

I read that Sony uses around 600mbps for 4K120 when Canon has almost 1900 mbps. I’m not into video, but doesn’t that mean quite a bit of difference in IQ?

Probably, but from a personal opinion, I do feel MILC hybrids should have balanced specs. I don't need top end specs that burn through media cards, and by the time I want maximum bitrates or RAW, MILCs aren't really suited for the task at that point. YMMV

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Sadly, it won't. That crap is in their DNA.
Certain brands are that way. It always turns me off from those brands. They seem to be form and flashy feature over function and draw in the type of people who treat brands like a religion, as if buying something makes any of us special. Just use what you want and shut it. The real useful discussions are constructive critique, feature wishes, trading tips, or just enjoying our craft together, but there is a massive segment of society that has learned to complain and be a victim about every facet of life. It is getting really grating listening to the irrational few put out so much noise that the rest of us cannot have an adult conversation about anything. You ask people to be constructive and rational, and they accuse you of being a fanboy or not allowing criticism. What can you do?

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Yup, whole lotta faux outrage from people who couldn't afford the R5, never planned on buying the R5, don't shoot video, use slow SD cards, and/or don't even have computers than can handle 8K video.

Certain brands are that way. It always turns me off from those brands. They seem to be form and flashy feature over function and draw in the type of people who treat brands like a religion, as if buying something makes any of us special. Just use what you want and shut it. The real useful discussions are constructive critique, feature wishes, trading tips, or just enjoying our craft together, but there is a massive segment of society that has learned to complain and be a victim about every facet of life. It is getting really grating listening to the irrational few put out so much noise that the rest of us cannot have an adult conversation about anything. You ask people to be constructive and rational, and they accuse you of being a fanboy or not allowing criticism. What can you do?

People that actually shoot a lot are those that will have something constructive to share mainly through personal experiences or knowledge. It will be clear quite soon who those are. Not saying they are always right in their opinions... But those that clearly don't or never planned to buy anything become quite evident after a handful of posts. Those people can simply be ignored and that goes to both Sony/Fuji/Panny/etc. and Canon shooters. Canon shooters shouldn't by default get a pass here on a Canon-focused discussion group if they purposefully stir the pot for those that shoot the competition. Maybe I'm just too sensitive... :p:p

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is a videocentric camera, it´s absolutely nonsense to compare it with either EOS R5 or R6 which are photo cameras with remarkable video features. From a photo and video user, there is no comparison, of course R6 and R5 will me a lot better because it can deliver both of the worlds! For a videocentric use, the A7s3 would be better and it must be! It´s a video mirrorless camera. But....Saying this. My believe is that the EOS R5 will not stand behind the A7s3. I believe the 4k of the Canon will be better quality even with the 4k120fps. Sony is rumored to make 4k120fps raw externally but i think it will only make 8 seconds burst.

The only flaw of Canon is the potencial overheating, but like i said before, we still need to see how big of a problem is! I don´t believe it will be much of a problem! At least not for me! And if or when the R5 overheat I will use the R6 cause I´ll get both! :D

Upvote 0
More bitrate, more information, more quality of the file. This is the cold reading however bitrate and quality may vary depending on the codec used.
Dunno why they don't just stick a SIM card in it, add some Selfie modes, and be done with it...
Cause it will overheat!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Good. I hope it's the perfect camera and solves everyones problems so those who feel it necessary to judge someone else's camera buying decisions can instead just use this and be satisfied. I know a lot of Sony users have been waiting patiently for this body, and I hope it is what they were waiting for.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0