Interview: Canon addresses overheating concerns, workarounds and the Cripple Hammer

That seems unlikely. More likely either failed or operational. And >95% likely aren't shooting 8k to overheat on a regular basis. I have yet to shoot a single frame of video.
The shutter count has been the only indicator of usage/lifespan for second hand cameras to date. Video usage hasn't been an issue. Semiconductor lifespan decreases when run over their rated maximum operating temperatures. Canon clearly designs their SW to ensure long lifespan but these hacks can override this. It is probably unlikely to occur within the normal 1 year Canon warranty period unless they are doing crazy stuff but 5x more likely given the Canon Australia 5 year warranty.
I will be trying some 4k120 tomorrow for some underwater video for the first time :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
The shutter count has been the only indicator of usage/lifespan for second hand cameras to date. Video usage hasn't been an issue. Semiconductor lifespan decreases when run over their rated maximum operating temperatures. Canon clearly designs their SW to ensure long lifespan but these hacks can override this. It is probably unlikely to occur within the normal 1 year Canon warranty period unless they are doing crazy stuff but 5x more likely given the Canon Australia 5 year warranty.
I will be trying some 4k120 tomorrow for some underwater video for the first time :)
It will be interesting to learn of your R5 video experience in an underwater housing.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I, similar to Roger's comment in his blog, am pretty much over the whole overheating discussion.
I get that people want to extend recording times for 8K/30 and 4k/120. I suggest that waiting for Canon's firmware release with lower bitrates (probably compression/Cinema raw light) and externally recording wth no cards will increase record times for those desperately needing it. If that isn't good enough then there will be hardware hacks with drilling holes and peltier coolers etc for a specific use case - otherwise get another 8k video camera that does the job they want.
The main thing for me is short clips for 8k raw (30 fps frame grabs) or maybe some 4k/120 short clips but HD/120 would be enough without triggering overheating. It works to specifications and I am happy to live within them. Just waiting for H265 hardware acceleration to be available before upgrading my PC

most sensible comment I’ve heard in a long time!

Upvote 0
I am curious why they even bother to use a timer. None of this "reset the timer" hackery would have made any difference if they just measured the internal temperature, used some realistic time/temp rise calculation, and showed time remaining based on that.

If the goal is not to burn up the electronics, that seems to be the norm in the electronics industry based on the number of PC CPUs and harddrives do exactly that.

If the goal is not to burn the user, then put in a temp sensor on the frame. A decent I2C temp sensor is literally pennies.

Why go through the whole exercise of cooldown clocks, etc? Just measure the internal temp and show remaining recording time based on a predictive heat table.

FWIW, I don't really care at all. The only time I use the video function is for recording my waterski runs, 8 minutes at a time. Let's just say that I have some work to do to sort out the AF and the IS.

The clock is just to discourage professional video usage.

With all the reset hacks it is clear that the camera never read the internal temp.

Looks like we can put this camera on the oven, and it will turn on giving us 20 minutes.

Upvote 0
Let’s be honest.

1. the idea of a hybrid camera, in the R5/R6 is pretty good.

2.Canon dropped the ball on what it can do. The marketing was wrong and misleading

3. We do look at other manufacturers and we do feel like canon could make something a little more inline with what content creators want
E.g. longer record time, really great 1080 and 4K without having to be limited in anyways, A GOOD AUDIO SOLUTION and a decent dynamic range.

I do feel that the camera(s) that the have released are great and check many of the boxes we wanted but those cameras did Mia the mark slightly. The glass and auto focus are great. The ability to navigate through the menus are great but those aspects alone won’t make us not look at Sony. I love canon but Sony is listening. Like why no 1080p 120 or 240 frames. That’s easy to do through firmware.

I wish canon would stop “anticipating” what we want and actually listen to what we want

4.These are great cameras. Great hybrid cameras and we are happy Canon made them.

5. we are still waiting for ourCanon holy grail camera for creators. One that looks good and doesn’t have many “artificial” limitations.
A camera we can be proud to endorse to other creators and friends without having to give a disclaimer before recommending the camera.
Show me your movie reel/still images and if you can sweat out something that resembles an image/video then you can shoot you wishes. Otherwise, just bugger off with your idiotic demands.

Upvote 0
Because its a custom regulation in europe and other countries. "video" cameras get an extra Tax which is substantial. Most photographers dont want to pay 20% for a camera, just for a feature that 98% of people never miss. Thats why nearly all dslr/dslm cameras are limited to 29:59
He would have made a fool of himself if he actualy ask such a basic question to a canon exec.

'Video camera recorders are subject to import duty of 4.9% or 14%, still image cameras are duty free'

I doubt there are many people here who don't already know why the limit was imposed, but as pointed out by a previous reply the extra tax should have already been lifted following a change in the tax legislation dictated by the Information Technology Agreement. There is no reason why this limit should exist anymore.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The decision not to include a frame rate that has been a popular standard for a century because of concerns it would make menus "too complex" is simply ludicrous. Anyone who doesn't care is using automatic modes, and anyone who does can tell the difference and afford the half second it takes to change the option.

Also, frame interpolating "features" on TVs need to die a horrible death. I love high frame rates but if content was recorded at 24/30fps with the intention of it being viewed that way, it should be watched that way.
Sorry, but 24 fps was chosen because that was as fast as they could get film to reliably pull down at the time. It is never displayed at 24 fps. Even film uses a 48 fps shutter in the projector (of course the image only moves at 24 fps). With television, it is far worse because of 3-2 pulldown. I.e. you see one captured frame for 3 frames of display and the next captured frame for 2 frames of display. In the interlace TV days, that meant that interlace fields were crossing between captured frames. In today's high resolution world (particularly 4k), any motion produces horrible motion judder unless you slow the capture shutter down to the point that all motion is just a blur. If you capture with a short shutter and display on a motion interpolating tv, the result is quite hard to distinguish from an actual high frame rate capture except in high motion areas where there will inevitably be motion aliasing. Also, there are psychophysical consequences from watching too much motion judder. It is bad for your eyes and bad for your brain.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...How difficult is it to swap an identical body out in the event that one overheats? If you’re going to capture at 8K, there are certain risks for shooting at technologies razor edge, yes?

Except that the length of time for the A camera to cool down is apparently a lot longer than the time you have to record on the B camera. So, instead of needing a second camera, you might need a third or a fourth camera.

I'm not a video person, I'm a stills shooter who only shoots video on rare occasions and never 8K. But I get really tired of other stills shooters telling video folks what they need or should expect.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am curious why they even bother to use a timer. None of this "reset the timer" hackery would have made any difference if they just measured the internal temperature, used some realistic time/temp rise calculation, and showed time remaining based on that.

the RTC (real time clock) runs no matter what. so it's pretty simple that the camera would save temp measurements and the time it was taken.

then when it takes a new measurement it samples the temp and the current time, then uses the two values to determine the current rate of increase / decrease. You can't do predictive measurement without a rate.

screwing around with the date/time obviously causes a software fault in that calculation.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don't get bit by a shark....or have a turtle snap off your...finger :p

• Haha
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I dont trust the answers. There have been reviews whereby temperature gun was used and there was not much increase in temperature during and after recording.
Oooooooooooooooooooooooo you don't trust the answers. So get a camera that isn't manufactured by some vast evil corporation and go out and take some photos.

Upvote 0
I guess now we know why the body itself isn’t a heat sink. Who would’ve thought Canon actually was way head of all the armchair *insert meme-man here* inginirs.

it's weird that Canon wrote that their magnesium body was a heat sink. It's the same material they always used for their higher end bodies.

From DPREVIEW:

"Canon starts off the notice laying out the steps it’s taken to ‘manage the potential for overheating’ in its EOS R5 and EOS R6 camera. Two bullet points in the notice read:

• Magnesium alloy was used in the body to dissipate heat away from internal components"

• Haha
Upvote 0