Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
YouTuber J. Marcus Photography has done a video showing a bit of a hack using Scotch tape to reset the overheating timer for the Canon EOS R5.
In the video, you’ll see him put Scotch tape over the area of the battery compartment that tells the Canon EOS R5 that the battery compartment door is closed, except that it isn’t!
While recording, the EOS R5 gives an overheating warning. Instead of shutting the camera down, the battery is removed while the camera is still. The battery is then put back in after 10 seconds and the overheating warning is gone. This tells us that removing the battery that way doesn’t give the camera time to write the thermal information to the mainboard, so everything just resets back to 5 minutes of recording time.
Check out the video above and make your own conclusions.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Does doing this void your warranty if the camera sustains damage due to overheating?
Generally, in the USA, a modification, temp or permanent, that defeats a built-in safeguard would violate a warranty--if the manufacturer knew about such a mod.

But this all seems too desperate too soon. I'd think somebody who depends on highest quality 4k video would have dedicated equipment.

Basically, what I'm seeing are people who have expendable funds playing with gear that has been tagged as problematic and/or controversial. Some of the "experiments" have been illuminating! Such as running to an external monitor without the cards in the body, resetting the overheating timer by removing the internal battery...Makes one wonder if Canon's own engineers are at least this clever!

Also makes me wonder when Canon is going to have some breakthrough news about this mess. Can't google for new reviews without seeing the blasted overheating hyperbole popping up.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Might Canon be depending on timers instead of thermometers because they couldn't make thermometers work reliably within the body? If they found that the temperatures could not be accurately measured, they just went with timers based on scenarios they experimented with during design and testing?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
When he removes the battery and restarts recording it gives only 5 mins. That tells me Canon have a temperature sensor and firmware limitation combined. I do not believe Canon will remove this limitation with a firmware update.
They may improve it with a firmware update, but some limits will stay.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Might Canon be depending on timers instead of thermometers because they couldn't make thermometers work reliably within the body? If they found that the temperatures could not be accurately measured, they just went with timers based on scenarios they experimented with during design and testing?
I don't think it's just timers. i was in our garden one morning and took pictures of birds, not videos. we had about 25 degrees that morning. after a while i switched to video, with the change the overheating symbol lit up. how can that be if there are only timers?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I don't think it's just timers. i was in our garden one morning and took pictures of birds, not videos. we had about 25 degrees that morning. after a while i switched to video, with the change the overheating symbol lit up. how can that be if there are only timers?
Because it seems stories like yours are very common, that ANY use of the camera initiates a timer. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the same thing happening were the ambient temps 10 degrees lower. I really wonder if the camera is obtaining any kind of accurate temp info inside or outside the body, which might explain why the timers seem so aggressive and consistent. They are based on high temp scenarios as a safeguard.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jayhenington

NorthSideTog
Sep 13, 2019
You took pictures of birds. That also activates the timer in testing. Even using the menu alone reduces the amount of time it will allow you to shoot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Okay, this I did not have thought. This is very sadly.

I have to say, I did not have at the moment the time to move out and use the Camera all over the day, because I have bruised ribs and a lot of pain.

But for real. I love the R5 with the Imagequality and the IBIS the AF...... so the overheating is for me far away, at the moment. But it sounds very sadly if some rumors are true.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Implementing multiple thermocouples and associated electronics, plus the additional testing required may have pushed Canon engineers decide to go with a simpler timer arrangement. May have allowed them to get to market more quickly. We will probably never know. I, for one don’t care.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
This is just sad. Defeating a warning is not solving the problem. If I broke the seat belt warning in my car, does that mean I'm now safe not wearing one?

So, so tired of all these fools who know nothing about electronics components, cooling, or firmware. More sick of those repeating it for web profit. These people are only looking for clicks and refuse to accept the camera as designed. Not a shred of engineering experience among them apparently.

Every armchair fool has the solution or knows better than a dedicated team of engineers. Seems to be the world today- just having an opinion is somehow permission to deny logic or facts. Start with a baseless emotional premise and shout the loudest.

Let's take another example, a fold out knife with safety. If some idiot thinks the safety is limiting and defeats it then calls that a solution, when they get cut is it the manufacturer at fault?

Defeating the overheating limit is not a solution, it is bypassing design limits. Only the fool crowd who refuses to understand even the basics of physics or engineering thinks everything in the world can be solved with a couple lines of software or that they are some victim being cheated even if they don't own this product. They think infinite capability is possible and owed to them in a tiny camera for less. Why aren't these idiots bashing gopro or anyone else for their limitations? Once people latch on to a trend or emotion they never let logic in.

• Haha
Reactions: 29 users
Upvote 0