Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Generally, in the USA, a modification, temp or permanent, that defeats a built-in safeguard would violate a warranty--if the manufacturer knew about such a mod.

But this all seems too desperate too soon. I'd think somebody who depends on highest quality 4k video would have dedicated equipment.

Basically, what I'm seeing are people who have expendable funds playing with gear that has been tagged as problematic and/or controversial. Some of the "experiments" have been illuminating! Such as running to an external monitor without the cards in the body, resetting the overheating timer by removing the internal battery...Makes one wonder if Canon's own engineers are at least this clever!

Also makes me wonder when Canon is going to have some breakthrough news about this mess. Can't google for new reviews without seeing the blasted overheating hyperbole popping up.
It only really affects 4k 60p, 8k. I just know what temperature my camera is and never alow it to reach the waning temperature, which in my case at ambient temperature of 85 - 90 F is at 115F at the back of the camera. In which case I've recorded 45 min and 32 minutes on 128GB CFexpress and 128 V90. No problem for me. If I want anything longer I will just use an Atomos Ninja 5 or a fan unit. No need to worry about the Cool down timer if it never overheats. At alarm temperature the card slot can get anywhere from 112 - 120 F. Canon will most likely change the Cool down timer, but not the alarm threshold. I set up an Excel chart with all my modes, settings, threshold temps, and times. I'm good. I don't need any hacks. I will never record more than 30 minutes anyway. If I do, I won't use 40 60p.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I would not overided the Cool down timer. Simply establish where the temperature thresholds are for the desired modes are and record them. They occur at same temperature in each mode, when measuring with a thermometer or imaging device. At least they have for me so far. I have just completed 4k 60 All-I working from the lower modes first. I'm still testing and recording internal temperatures after thresholds etc. And temps in 2 minutes intervals.

Upvote 0
This is just sad. Defeating a warning is not solving the problem. If I broke the seat belt warning in my car, does that mean I'm now safe not wearing one?

So, so tired of all these fools who know nothing about electronics components, cooling, or firmware. More sick of those repeating it for web profit. These people are only looking for clicks and refuse to accept the camera as designed. Not a shred of engineering experience among them apparently.

Every armchair fool has the solution or knows better than a dedicated team of engineers. Seems to be the world today- just having an opinion is somehow permission to deny logic or facts. Start with a baseless emotional premise and shout the loudest.

Let's take another example, a fold out knife with safety. If some idiot thinks the safety is limiting and defeats it then calls that a solution, when they get cut is it the manufacturer at fault?

Defeating the overheating limit is not a solution, it is bypassing design limits. Only the fool crowd who refuses to understand even the basics of physics or engineering thinks everything in the world can be solved with a couple lines of software or that they are some victim being cheated even if they don't own this product. They think infinite capability is possible and owed to them in a tiny camera for less. Why aren't these idiots bashing gopro or anyone else for their limitations? Once people latch on to a trend or emotion they never let logic in.

The guy is not trying to solve the problem, nor does he suggest it as being a solution. All he is trying to provide is the possible proof, that there might be an artificial timer used, instead of the thermal read-out.

You are too bold to mark all internet being just armchair fools. Many ppl might have some technical backgroud. E.g. I am an IT guy for 30 years, we have built Astro CCD camera, doing the HW, firmware, software and all that.

While I don't feel competent enough to judge the current situation, I would not downplay other's experience. There is definitely something fishy here, like sitting in menu for one hour, doing few pics and not getting even a 1sec of a 4K HQ video, measuring 43C temperature, whereas getting to 63C during the 8K video and getting 20 minutes of the shooting time from the cold start.

The problem might not be the limitation of the lenght of particular video modes, those got advertised, but weird cool down times, most probably not being based upon a temperature reading or not a temperature reading alone (the timer stuff). Simply put - noone wants to use camera for stills in a lightly manner for cca half to one hour, and get zeroed on the 4K HQ video capability.

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
Generally, in the USA, a modification, temp or permanent, that defeats a built-in safeguard would violate a warranty--if the manufacturer knew about such a mod.

But this all seems too desperate too soon. I'd think somebody who depends on highest quality 4k video would have dedicated equipment.

Basically, what I'm seeing are people who have expendable funds playing with gear that has been tagged as problematic and/or controversial. Some of the "experiments" have been illuminating! Such as running to an external monitor without the cards in the body, resetting the overheating timer by removing the internal battery...Makes one wonder if Canon's own engineers are at least this clever!

Also makes me wonder when Canon is going to have some breakthrough news about this mess. Can't google for new reviews without seeing the blasted overheating hyperbole popping up.

But the R5 is even better - it has 8K!!

I'd think a company that put 8K in its still camera would have wanted to at least have all its 4K modes not to take so long to fully recover from overheating.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But the R5 is even better - it has 8K!!

I'd think a company that put 8K in its still camera would have wanted to at least have all its 4K modes not to take so long to fully recover from overheating.
The R5 can record 4K all day for those that need it. However for those that need it the R5, indeed any Canon hybrid short of the 1DC, would be a poor choice as apart from that 1DC they all have a 29:59 single shot limit unless shooting to external, which virtually everybody shooting long form 4K would be doing anyway. Of course by that point, recording externally, the R5 has been demonstrated to be able to shoot 4kHQ (full capture downsampled 8k) pretty much without time limits too.

At some point all these straw man criticisms of the R5 will collapse, genuine users rather than keyboard cowboys with nothing between their ears but air will find workflows for whatever it is they need and there will be no end of top quality content coming from them. Meanwhile the cowboys will have moved on to the next target of their collective angst, however I have a better suggestion for those cowboys, face into a mirror and see where the real issues and lack of creativity lie, it isn’t in the ‘limitations’ of any particular piece of equipment.

i was trying to think of the last time a Canon body release got this much hate, it doesn’t take much looking as it was the R, not a good word was said about it at release, six months later many of those mouthpieces had adopted it and were praising its abilities.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
This is just sad. Defeating a warning is not solving the problem. If I broke the seat belt warning in my car, does that mean I'm now safe not wearing one?

So, so tired of all these fools who know nothing about electronics components, cooling, or firmware. More sick of those repeating it for web profit. These people are only looking for clicks and refuse to accept the camera as designed. Not a shred of engineering experience among them apparently.

Every armchair fool has the solution or knows better than a dedicated team of engineers. Seems to be the world today- just having an opinion is somehow permission to deny logic or facts. Start with a baseless emotional premise and shout the loudest.

Let's take another example, a fold out knife with safety. If some idiot thinks the safety is limiting and defeats it then calls that a solution, when they get cut is it the manufacturer at fault?

Defeating the overheating limit is not a solution, it is bypassing design limits. Only the fool crowd who refuses to understand even the basics of physics or engineering thinks everything in the world can be solved with a couple lines of software or that they are some victim being cheated even if they don't own this product. They think infinite capability is possible and owed to them in a tiny camera for less. Why aren't these idiots bashing gopro or anyone else for their limitations? Once people latch on to a trend or emotion they never let logic in.

In his video he does warn people that this is not a long-term solution and not advisable until we learn more about what Canon was doing "because it can screw up your camera".

He also straight out says he is not a scientist.

So just ...C H I L L...(wish Canon would, lol)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
not as many that need the 4K modes that overheat
And you can shoot good quality 4K with the R5 even after it has a heat warning on it for HQ formats, try doing that with a Sony.

Or you can just shoot good quality 4K all day long with an R5, there are so many solutions to these ‘issues’ it really is sounding rather desperate.... and repetitive......

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I saw this video last night and made my comments over at this thread https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/new-twist-in-the-r5-overheat.39163/

TLDR version is the cmos battery trick was interesting from a technical perspective, but not feasible for the masses. This trick is feasible for mass experimentation. I also think it gives the insight on why recovery times seem to be what they are. And that it could be adjusted via firmware.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And you can shoot good quality 4K with the R5 even after it has a heat warning on it for HQ formats, try doing that with a Sony.

Or you can just shoot good quality 4K all day long with an R5, there are so many solutions to these ‘issues’ it really is sounding rather desperate.... and repetitive......

Sounds like my judgment in putting him on ignore continues to be affirmed.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Defeating the overheating limit is not a solution, it is bypassing design limits. Only the fool crowd who refuses to understand even the basics of physics or engineering thinks everything in the world can be solved with a couple lines of software or that they are some victim being cheated even if they don't own this product. They think infinite capability is possible and owed to them in a tiny camera for less.

Your rant ignores the possibility that Canon is simply lying about the extent of the overheating problem to provide cover for once again needlessly crippling a camera body. It doesn't take an advanced engineering degree to look at data that suggests actual internal temperatures are completely uncorrelated to temperature warnings and shutdowns and conclude that the whole situation is simply the result of a software cripple dressed up as a design necessity. Even if you're fine with Canon's decision to intentionally cripple the R5, I don't know how you can defend lying about it.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Your rant ignores the possibility that Canon is simply lying about the extent of the overheating problem to provide cover for once again needlessly crippling a camera body. It doesn't take an advanced engineering degree to look at data that suggests actual internal temperatures are completely uncorrelated to temperature warnings and shutdowns and conclude that the whole situation is simply the result of a software cripple dressed up as a design necessity. Even if you're fine with Canon's decision to intentionally cripple the R5, I don't know how you can defend lying about it.
Right.

This has much more to do with the company and integrity. I own many Canon lenses and Cameras. I now own some Sony. I would like to thoroughly know the path of Canon through their methods as I make my next purchases.

Yes I would rather not but Canon seems to be coming up short in some strange places to omit certain features or to have limitations, yet the rest of the market is trending the other way. It’s interesting to say the least.

I will say , I do not like Sony’s Raw files or auto white balance, always pushes me back.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Right.

This has much more to do with the company and integrity. I own many Canon lenses and Cameras. I now own some Sony. I would like to thoroughly know the path of Canon through their methods as I make my next purchases.

Yes I would rather not but Canon seems to be coming up short in some strange places to omit certain features or to have limitations, yet the rest of the market is trending the other way. It’s interesting to say the least.

I will say , I do not like Sony’s Raw files or auto white balance, always pushes me back.

totally agree!!

Something very fishy is going on with CanNot

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Does doing this void your warranty if the camera sustains damage due to overheating?

I was thinking the same thing - if you do this and it overheats, Canon won't cover it.

Now, the algorithm that Canon uses regarding heat in the camera may be overly cautious, and may be subject to some firmware tweaking, but the overheat warning and prevention scheme is there for a reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Implementing multiple thermocouples and associated electronics, plus the additional testing required may have pushed Canon engineers decide to go with a simpler timer arrangement. May have allowed them to get to market more quickly. We will probably never know. I, for one don’t care.
However... I come across multiple reports that EXIF of the R5/R6 files contains pretty accurate temp backed into it.

Upvote 0