Is Sony going to beat Canon to the ‘Pro’ mirrorless camera punch?

Feb 9, 2019
i saw lot of news about sony a7iii and a7riii shutter breakdown ... earlier sony tv had reliability issue too..my tv broke back n 2010 exactly n 2yr1mth and sony asked for a repair cost of $800 on a $1800 tv... i left sony on that day...

Canon never had reliability issue as per I understand..reliability is a big deal for many when you are spending your hard earned money ..specially if it goes beyond $1k-$1.5k for people like me...

Canon is still user friendly on body and reliability

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Ok

That is nice. Good for Sony. I can see the A9 with better battery life and CFExpress cards. The "no overheating" part cracks me up. Roger had it right, it is a box, if heat is generated in the box, it needs a way to get out of the box or the box will overheat. So, either Sony has a fancy way to minimize the rate at which the heat is generated or they have found a way to get the heat out of the camera. Or, that part of the rumor is BS.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I'd argue the 'pro' definition as there were plenty of pro bodies that didn't have integrated grips and with better battery technology I honestly feel they are not 100% required now we are into the umpteenth generation of digital. But I get the point and if you are starting a discussion it makes sense to have a baseline.

However I think it is hard to argue that Sony haven't already played their interpretation of the 'pro' card in the A9 and the owners I know like the option of big or small just as I did with the 1V/1VHS. I'd happily take an R1 without a grip as a 'pro' body if the optional grip gave me all the additional functionality.

The a9 is an ergonomic mess and battery performance is awful. It's not a 'Pro' camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Wait, I thought this was EOSHD for a minute with that seemingly clickbait title....

At this point, with so many great options out there, I'd argue it's less important who is first to market. Given the R5 "drama" it's probably more important for Canon to get this right. This end of the market is probably less swayed by a spec sheet battle too. Having used R5 now for a few months, I'm excited about what Canon could do with R1. They can take their time as far as I'm concerned....

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Also I don't see a typical 1DX user bother even a bit about 8K. It's practical to be able to take some videoclips, but 8K doesn't matter.
And yet the 1DXii was the first and only Canon camera with 4k60 for like 4 years...The 1DXiii has 5.5k60 RAW and 10-bit 4:2:2 in a time where most Canon cameras are barely getting 4k 8-bit 4:2:0.

History says an R1 is gonna shoot 8k because its $6999 price point doesnt worry Canon's cine line.

Upvote 0
I wonder why the writer feels it necessary for Canon to release a pro camera so far ahead of the next Olympic year? That of course is based on the 2020 games having the 1Dx III release for it. That leaves the better part of 3 years before a new pro body would really be expected.

Also, I'd be surprised to see Canon bring a 35+ MP pro body. So I'd assume any more 8K bodies will likely be on specialty cameras.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I wonder why the writer feels it necessary for Canon to release a pro camera so far ahead of the next Olympic year? That of course is based on the 2020 games having the 1Dx III release for it. That leaves the better part of 3 years before a new pro body would really be expected.

Also, I'd be surprised to see Canon bring a 35+ MP pro body. So I'd assume any more 8K bodies will likely be on specialty cameras.
The Olympics are every 2 years.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Personally I don't think that any mirrorless can be "PRO" for one main feature of PRO is that you can see the real iamge in the OVF. Any EVF won't give the same "feel" or "speed" of "PRO" camera.
Oooh that’s fighting talk !

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
'Pro' body designation means that the grip is integrated and they use much larger batteries.

Wouldn't it also mean "weather sealed" too? I mean, a pro has to shoot outdoors in less than optimal conditions at times, eh?

;)

But then again, that kinda negates high resolution video for the cooling problem, doesn't it?

cayenne

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Ok

That is nice. Good for Sony. I can see the A9 with better battery life and CFExpress cards. The "no overheating" part cracks me up. Roger had it right, it is a box, if heat is generated in the box, it needs a way to get out of the box or the box will overheat. So, either Sony has a fancy way to minimize the rate at which the heat is generated or they have found a way to get the heat out of the camera. Or, that part of the rumor is BS.
Not all designs generate the same amounts of heat, as long as the box can dissipate the amount of heat generated inside, it will not overheat. The Canon design generates a lot of heat internally, Sony has learned to reduce heat generation, a larger camera with more surface area can dissipate more, so I can conceive a much longer time to overheat as being possible at least. Remember, the Canon design is 2 years or more old, newer models will be improved.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'd welcome this. If this camera matched or exceeded the A9 II's specs while adding an integrated vertical grip, a more rugged body, and good battery life, it would be the first true pro mirrorless on the market and press Canon to really deliver with the R1.

My R1 wishlist:

-26-30 MP
-20 FPS electronic shutter
-super fast readout
-great dynamic range

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I dont necessarly agree with you on these 2 points:
An 8K camera has to be 40+ megapixels, and customers of 1DX and D6 are *asking* Canon or Nikon to keep it at 20 megapixels.
I think the main reason sports photographers want 20mpixel Bodies is the buffer and transfer speed. The R5 canon shoot 20 fps at 45 megapixel (!) So speed is certainly given. Buffer shouldnt be a problem as well, if they include in the R1 simply 2 CFast Slots like on the 1DX III and a full size and Speed LAN Port.
Also there is always the option that we get S-RAW. JPGs are always available in lower resolutions, so its no problem to get 20mpixel out of a 45mpixel camera. If we also get S-RAW with 22mpixel, everything would be fine. You can get 20mpixel out of a 45mpixel camera, but not the other way round. So speed shouldnt be an issue at all.
Second reason for lower MP count could be the low light performance. But in the last 10 years the fact that lower MP means better lowlight performance prooved more and more to be not true. So we could get nice ISO performances, just like we get from the R5 currently.

Also I don't see a typical 1DX user bother even a bit about 8K. It's practical to be able to take some videoclips, but 8K doesn't matter.
I am not so sure about that. The 1DX II was also about video and offered a very nice 4k image. The 1DX III now got 6k raw, which is pretty amazing. So I can total see 8k raw in the next "1" camera. Especialy since the R5 got it.

I agree though, I am not realy sure if its likely that the R1 will get 45mpixel and 8k - but time will tell.

Upvote 0