Issues with RF100-500

YuengLinger

Godzilla needs boxing lessons.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I actually just saw this 2 minutes after happily ordering the lens after I got a very rare 15% discount offer - and the seller still had one lens in stock :love: . Now I'm in doubt if it was wise to be lured by the otherwise excellent reviews. :eek:
Yes, it is possible to get a lens that is subpar, but you very likely have nothing to worry about!

Linked below is a shot of two birds bickering about a feeder full of bird seed. I took it with the 100-500mm. You will get shots like this. If for some reason you can't within the first ten days of owning it, and you are using an R5 or R6, then just send it back and try again.

When properly functioning and used correctly, the lens is amazing and RELIABLE. Anything else you might read is due to user error or the rare bad copy. Otherwise, somebody is blowing smoke. (And the same is true for the R5/R6, no matter how many "other stories on other forums" we might be peppered with.)

Cheers!

Reactions: SteveC

kimster

EOS M50
Jul 9, 2020
Yes, it is possible to get a lens that is subpar, but you very likely have nothing to worry about!

Linked below is a shot of two birds bickering about a feeder full of bird seed. I took it with the 100-500mm. You will get shots like this. If for some reason you can't within the first ten days of owning it, and you are using an R5 or R6, then just send it back and try again.

When properly functioning and used correctly, the lens is amazing and RELIABLE. Anything else you might read is due to user error or the rare bad copy. Otherwise, somebody is blowing smoke. (And the same is true for the R5/R6, no matter how many "other stories on other forums" we might be peppered with.)

Cheers!

If you read my posting, you will see that I took images with the RF100-500 and the RF70-200. These clearly show a problem with the RF100-500. Why they are asking for my R5 again I have no idea. Canon themselves say that there is an issue. It is NOT user error in this case. I also added that the lens seems to be amazing. Just not my copy. And yes, I highly recommend that people test new lenses as soon as thy get them. That was not the case with my purchase, sadly. But hey, have some fun at my expense Yeng.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If you read my posting, you will see that I took images with the RF100-500 and the RF70-200. These clearly show a problem with the RF100-500. Why they are asking for my R5 again I have no idea. Canon themselves say that there is an issue. It is NOT user error in this case. I also added that the lens seems to be amazing. Just not my copy. And yes, I highly recommend that people test new lenses as soon as thy get them. That was not the case with my purchase, sadly. But hey, have some fun at my expense Yeng.

He was responding to Fischer, not to you.

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
I really don't understand why people feel the need to be sarcastic when someone provides a well-documented post about an issue with a Canon product. Obviously Canon knows there is a problem and they are trying to figure it out. It's unfortunate that you are the unlucky one, but since this is clearly an anomaly or a one-off, hopefully they will get it resolved or replace the lens.

Reactions: AlanF
<-- start Taboola -->