KUVRD launches the world’s first Universal Lens Hood, and it’s pretty cool.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Universal Lens Hood is the world’s first all-fitting, multi-functional lens hood that’s easy to pack, install and use.
It’s designed to fit over 99% of camera lenses and remain compatible with any lens’ focal length/range without creating vignetting in the corners of the frame, which means less gear to carry around and more room in your bag.
It removes glares and reflections when shooting through windows and holds any size circular filter, allowing you to use your largest filters with your smallest lenses.

A69I9603-168x168.jpg

A69I9670-2-168x168.jpg

DSC01184-168x168.jpg

AF6I0294-2-168x168.jpg

Truly a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hmm.
Interesting. I rarely if ever use a lens hood, as that they just take up so much room when trying to pack a bag tight with equipment already.

However, I hear a lot of people out there use lens hoods a LOT as a protective device for their lenses, and well, this rubber one just wouldn't do that.

I missed the early birds, but this thing is only $30 for 1 or $50 for 2 of them.....might be worth a try.

The part about it acing as a sort of "universal" filter holder might prove interesting....hmm.

Thoughts?

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
Don't know where the worlds first comes from I've seen these around over the years although never owned one. I seem to recall one of the pro's I follow the personal work of (forget who, possibly mcnally) saying years ago he liked using one because universal, didn't take up much room in kit bag and not prone to breaking like hard lenshoods. Call me cynical but half the stuff I see on kickstarter I feel already existed and the campaigns are basically just group buys with a huge markup for folks who didn't want to do research/hunting around and rather just throw money at it. Although there is a place for that, my issue is more I see a lot of crowd funding campaigns made out it is an idea of the project team that needs backing to make it reality when in fact they already often are albeit lesser known things.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
OK so people saying this exists - link us to one. I'd like to see/compare.

For those saying it doesn't protect - isn't the primary function of a lens hood to block unwanted light reflections? I would think a purely protective hood would already be generic, even from lens manufacturers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
I'll probably get one, just to see if it truly does allow you to shoot through windows etc without reflections.
Plus, if you are like me and want to travel as light as possible, then this seems to be a good option. I rarely take the lens hood when I travel by plane somewhere, so I might just with something like this.
Plus the idea of using it to protect your camera as you change a lens, or put it down, is neat too.

Plus I'm sure you can use it to protect your hand from your overheating R5 so it has that going for it too..... I guess once it emerges from the EOSHD fridge it might be RIGID though ;-) (You are welcome)

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
OK so people saying this exists - link us to one. I'd like to see/compare.

For those saying it doesn't protect - isn't the primary function of a lens hood to block unwanted light reflections? I would think a purely protective hood would already be generic, even from lens manufacturers.

See below link from Taobao:
4.0fu致内容$hKxHc4n3JUG$打開τa0寳或掂击炼接 https://m.tb.cn/h.VyiEA91?sm=4abab3 至浏.览览.器【金属环软橡胶三用软胶伸缩遮光罩49/52/55/58/62/67/72/77/MM】

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I'll probably get one, just to see if it truly does allow you to shoot through windows etc without reflections.
Plus, if you are like me and want to travel as light as possible, then this seems to be a good option. I rarely take the lens hood when I travel by plane somewhere, so I might just with something like this.
Plus the idea of using it to protect your camera as you change a lens, or put it down, is neat too.

I have one of this for blocking reflections when shoot through windows https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...rderId=8012351208758626&productId=33031511319

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
My take, this is just BS. Manufacturers make lens hoods in distinct pattern for each lens for a reason. This IMO in some cases will not prevent flares and in other cases will vignette. It make work for a few tele lenses. Obviously this is purely my guess and my opinion.

Agreed. I love how one feature is it won't be seen in corners or cause vignetting, but the ones tailor made for each lens will. Or completely ignoring the protective benefits of a rigid hood. And they just don't look aesthetically pleasing at all for me personally. I only see this for someone how normally doesn't use a hood...but then wouldn't they just keep not using a hood?

Upvote 0
My take, this is just BS. Manufacturers make lens hoods in distinct pattern for each lens for a reason. This IMO in some cases will not prevent flares and in other cases will vignette. It make work for a few tele lenses. Obviously this is purely my guess and my opinion.
Wide angle lenses are generally the issue. I haven't seen a hood for a 16-35 type of zoom lens that does anything useful and they are generally a pointless piece of plastic. I love the reverse zoom feature of the ef 24-70mm f2.8 L (mkI). The barrel extended at the wide 24mm end and was compact at the long 70mm end. It meant that canon could design a large hood that fixed to the body and not the front element so that worked effectively across it's massive zoom range. It was a marvellous design that really worked very well. It also meant that the lens / image actually magnified as your focussing got closer to MFD than loosing magnification. It was a pretty special lens once understood. It's a pity Canon ditched this idea for the mkII.
I agree that this product is a sales / marketing gimmic and another photo gizmo that looks useful until about 5 mins of using it on a shoot.
I think the "removes glare" should read "can reduce glare". I also don't understand the blanket statement of "can use any sized CPL"...that's a very broad statement. I've had a Sigma 105mm CPL, a 150mm CPL from wunapanna but currently use both 82mm, 77mm and 72mm CPLs depending whihc lens I'm using. I'd rather have a dedicated CPL for each lens...just in case i break or drop one...I'm then not stuffed for the day.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Agreed. I love how one feature is it won't be seen in corners or cause vignetting, but the ones tailor made for each lens will. Or completely ignoring the protective benefits of a rigid hood. And they just don't look aesthetically pleasing at all for me personally. I only see this for someone how normally doesn't use a hood...but then wouldn't they just keep not using a hood?

I fall into the latter group....in my office I have piles of the solid hoods.
I just never use them, they take up too much room when packing gear that I could use better for things I directly need to shoot images (digital and film).

I especially think of this when I'm shooting concert festivals (hope we get back to having those)....but I have to carry one bag all day with all bodies and lenses I need for the day. No room for lens hoods.

So, I might actually use these.

My lens protection is "me"....paying attention to where my camera and lenses are hanging....so, far, so good.

As far the vignetting ,etc....I don't think they made the claim that these rubber ones would not and the custom ones would....I didn't see that anywhere....I just saw that with the rubber ones, you could pop them in/out so that it would not be seen by the lens it was on.

I might use a hood if it collapsed fully and didn't take up much room in my bag...and that I could use one to fit on any given lens I had that day....

I might get 1-2 of them...only like $50/2 so, it isn't like its breaking the bank....I have bar tabs MUCH higher than that on any given night...hahaha.

Anyway, interesting conversation.

How many here actually regularly USE their lens hoods?

I honestly can't ever think of a time I have used one.

cayenne

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Wide angle lenses are generally the issue. I haven't seen a hood for a 16-35 type of zoom lens that does anything useful and they are generally a pointless piece of plastic. I love the reverse zoom feature of the ef 24-70mm f2.8 L (mkI). The barrel extended at the wide 24mm end and was compact at the long 70mm end. It meant that canon could design a large hood that fixed to the body and not the front element so that worked effectively across it's massive zoom range. It was a marvellous design that really worked very well. It also meant that the lens / image actually magnified as your focussing got closer to MFD than loosing magnification. It was a pretty special lens once understood. It's a pity Canon ditched this idea for the mkII.
I agree that this product is a sales / marketing gimmic and another photo gizmo that looks useful until about 5 mins of using it on a shoot.
I think the "removes glare" should read "can reduce glare". I also don't understand the blanket statement of "can use any sized CPL"...that's a very broad statement. I've had a Sigma 105mm CPL, a 150mm CPL from wunapanna but currently use both 82mm, 77mm and 72mm CPLs depending whihc lens I'm using. I'd rather have a dedicated CPL for each lens...just in case i break or drop one...I'm then not stuffed for the day.
Not only all of that, I just screw on hoods backwards like they are designed when I want to put my lenses in bag or storage.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I use my hoods on all glass except macro work, then I make sure I have protection for the front element in other ways. I am a firm believer that mitigating flare comes from distinct shapes designed for a particular lens. Then there is the issue of drops where a rigid hood will offer more protection. All in all, I just don't see this being a good way to spend my money, or for the sellers, it's very ho hum like their caps. Quite boring and hardly revolutionary.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I guess I'm an outlier because I use a lens hood all the time. I don't have any kind of filter on the front end of my lenses so I count on the lens hood to protect the front of the lens from damage as well as doing its usual job of preventing glare, etc when photographing. I do wildlife/nature photography so am out in all kinds of terrain and weather and am pretty clumsy and with my lenses hanging off of me and banging around they need protection (if I had to dig my stuff out of a camera bag and put it together whatever I was going to photograph would be long gone, so most of my gear is out and ready--and abused :rolleyes:) When packing for a trip, if the hoods won't fit reversed on the lenses in the camera bag, I nest them together in my suitcase and stuff them with clothes--never travel without them.
Catherine

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0