Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R1 development [CR2]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yellowstone National Park. We were there 9/27-10/13. We were supposed to return home on 10/10, but extended to catch snow and a drop in temps the night of 10/10. Great decision, got significant drop in terms with light snow which had wildlife out moving around on 10/11, seeing pretty much everything including Great Gray, Griz + cub, and a black wolf at 70yds to end the day. R5 is great, no regrets moving from 1dx II. I do miss my 200-400 f4, but the 100-500 is a dream to carry. I don't like the way it works with an extender - 700mm is great but tremendous loss of versatility. I am keeping my 100-400 to put on a second body when I have the extender on the 100-500. If you don't have the R5, buy the grip and an 2 extra sets of batteries if you are on a trip with a lot of shooting. The EVF instant on / always available needs to be addressed in the R1 for a true 1dx II/III replacement.

I was at Yellowstone on the 26th, so we managed between the two of us to put an R5 there that entire weekend. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Please god not another lame 20MP sensor, global shutter or not. 30MP+ and then I'm very interested.

Global shutters have not been released until now for FF becuase DR is much worse than rolling shutter. Canon, Sony and Panasonic have patented different solutions for greatly improved DR so looks like Canon has finally got it ready for prime time. Wonder if it based on the previously released patent or they have something else up their sleeve. Or they could be like Nikon with the D6 and not really care about DR in the class of camera.
Dont count on it. Someone at Canon is into releasing cameras before they are ready. Cripple the first release, get the bugs out repeat.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Yellowstone National Park. We were there 9/27-10/13. We were supposed to return home on 10/10, but extended to catch snow and a drop in temps the night of 10/10. Great decision, got significant drop in terms with light snow which had wildlife out moving around on 10/11, seeing pretty much everything including Great Gray, Griz + cub, and a black wolf at 70yds to end the day. R5 is great, no regrets moving from 1dx II. I do miss my 200-400 f4, but the 100-500 is a dream to carry. I don't like the way it works with an extender - 700mm is great but tremendous loss of versatility. I am keeping my 100-400 to put on a second body when I have the extender on the 100-500. If you don't have the R5, buy the grip and an 2 extra sets of batteries if you are on a trip with a lot of shooting. The EVF instant on / always available needs to be addressed in the R1 for a true 1dx II/III replacement.
A great collection of photos. Thx for sharing them with us. Can you share your cam and lens data that most of them were shot with, with us?

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Not an IC engineer, but I presume fabbing such a thing is much trickier, especially the wiring. Also readout and analysis of the phase data gets more complicated.
I think would be more slow and expensive to make the sensor.
But... Would it be slower/more expensive/trickier than the Quad Pixel?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I am not sure these specs add up for a flagship camera body.

As I understand it, on Canon's current DP sensors the focus-half of the pixel is not used in image generation but additional software can take the data from that half of the pixel to increase DR by up to a stop. So looking at Quad-Pixel, the technology will probably reduce DR in the same way (half to one stop maybe). And if I understand correctly, global shutter will also reduce DR by up to a stop.
This means that if the R1 is not to lose image quality or ISO performance, then Canon would have had to have developed a sensor that will have an inherent 1.5-2 stops advantage over their current sensor technology. Or they have improved DR a bit and improved the processing capabilities such that they can actually use the data from the focussing pixely-bits.
Either would present significant leaps in sensor performance - and IMO would be beyond the sort of leap Canon has done so far.

And on top of this, people are asking for an increase to 30-45 MP.

Upvote 0
Ok I'll bite.

Any ETA (year?) on when such Apple high end camera would make an appearance?

C

===

The MF camera is sitting on my desk at this very moment! (i.e. it's probably A VERY BAD IDEA for me to admit that on a public forum but anyways ....!!! )

but otherwise I am BEGINNING TO BELIEVE the 3D printers and New 64-bit RGBA colour super-workstations are coming first BASED UPON rumours heard within Apple itself.

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sony makes quite a lot of phone camera sensors.
I am guessing they make a lot more money doing that than they do selling cameras.
Neither Canon nor Sony need to sell cameras to survive.

---

True! Canon makes a LOT of money on medical optics, copy/printing machines and micro-precision manufacturing systems so they COULD survive without the consumer camera and lens division quite easily. Same with Sony! With them being part of the Mitsui Keiretsu they have ENORMOUS ENGINEERING, INDUSTRIAL and BANKING RESOURCES available to them if anything goes wrong on the sales side. They're biggest moneymaker is Playstation Services and Image Sensors divisions. The NEW Apple super smartphones AND Apple MF camera ALL use low-light capable Sony Exmor-style Global Shutter sensors (i.e. expensive BUT VERY VERY GOOD IMAGE QUALITY!)

The problem is that Apple IS cannibalizing Sony pro imaging sales and even their consumer goods divisions via iPhone and iPad. Only Sony Sensors is really making any money and ONCE APPLE creates and builds their OWN image sensor (i.e. that internal rumour is RAMPANT around here!) they can cut Sony out completely! Apple did that with Qualcomm and Intel, so THEY ABSOLUTELY CAN take out Sony's sensor division with their OWN IMAGING HARDWARE !!!

These new large sensor Super-Smartphones using Sony GS sensors is merely buying APPLE ENOUGH TIME to develop their OWN 8K+ CMOS image sensors. I should also note the 32 inch OLED is being modified heavily BY Apple from an LG display and the internal rumour mill has it that Apple may open THEIR OWN DISPLAY MANUFACTURING FACILITY in Texas or Arizona to build customized and VERY HIGH END OLED displays. Do note they have within the last 10 years bought or licenced OLED/LED display power management, colour management and display manufacturing systems patent portfolios from Philips, Nokia, NEC and even Eizo!

Apple has been VERY BUSY these last 18 months! Very Secretive AND VERY BUSY on the imaging, display and 3D printing side of things!

V

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As I understand it, on Canon's current DP sensors the focus-half of the pixel is not used in image generation
I think your premise there is simply not matching what's actually going on. It would be news to me if the image signal of each pixel wasn't just the sum of the two half-pixels' values.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
A great collection of photos. Thx for sharing them with us. Can you share your cam and lens data that most of them were shot with, with us?
Thank you. They were all shot with Canon gear. I have been shooting Canon since 2003 and went the full route of 10d-20d, 1ds, 5d - 5d IV and 1dx (rented for big trips) through 2016. I purchased the 1dx II & 5d IV when announced and those have been my primary bodies until I purchased the R5 in July. I have always invested in glass with a preference for the flexibility of zooms 24-70 I & II, 70-200 I & II, 100-400 I & II, 1.4x TC II/III, 2x TC II/III (when needed). I had the original 600mm F4, but sold it after 3 years due to the weight (almost 14lbs). The Africa photos are predominately 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x TC - rented for the first Africa trip until I purchased a factory refurb at the end of 2016 (great price). I have rented lenses like the 500 & 600 I/II for trips where I knew my owned lenses would not give me enough reach. I would say the quality of the glass has been the most significant contributor to the quality of the images w/ sensor second and the zooms have improved significantly over time. The glass is one of the reasons I have stayed with Canon even when there have been better sensor/body options on the market. I think other vendors have rounded out their glass either natively or 3rd party and Canon doesn't have quite as much edge. I sold my 200-400 because I wanted to reduce weight, but would buy back in for a 200-500(600) f5.6 @ 6lbs (my wish list). I believe the 200-400 w/integrated 1.4x is the most versatile and high quality wildlife/safari lenses on the planet because you are f4 f200-400 and with the flip of switch 280-560 with a max f5.6. I was hoping the 200-400 would get the big white III weight loss program.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DR won’t be worse really but iso usually gets hurt. It will be interesting to see how this works. If they pull off good iso with a global shutter this could replace most low end cinema cameras. It will be interesting to see how they cripple this to protect other cameras. If they do 120fps around 4K with a global shutter you will see a lot of sad cinema camera owners, if they pull a 1dc and have no record limit with a global shutter and stellar iso performance above 12800 iso with 12 stops of DR all I can say is take my money

But so far with the R5 and R6 canon hasn't been crippling anything.

Not to mention that from what I remember canon has NEVER crippled the 1DX line. It is literally their"throw everything including the kitchen sink camera" and they price it accordingly. With the C70 it is obvious that they can basically build a cinema oriented camera. Basically expected a non-crippled R1 followed by the a cinema camera build around that tech. Form factor does matter after all.

Upvote 0
But so far with the R5 and R6 canon hasn't been crippling anything.

Not to mention that from what I remember canon has NEVER crippled the 1DX line. It is literally their"throw everything including the kitchen sink camera" and they price it accordingly. With the C70 it is obvious that they can basically build a cinema oriented camera. Basically expected a non-crippled R1 followed by the a cinema camera build around that tech. Form factor does matter after all.
No unlimited record time is crippling. The fact if I want to record in 10 bit it’s automatically log when I don’t want log but just more information, 1dxii auto focus was crippled from the start. Mind you I own 2 1dcs a 1dxii and now mkiii. I use these products all the time. Well not the mkii anymore. I’m not a fan boy but I do love the dslr and I like many people are critical of canon for promising and not delivering. The r6 color profile is crippled, and I’m not going to even talk about my experience of the r5 because last time this whole page lost their minds.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Thank you. They were all shot with Canon gear. I have been shooting Canon since 2003 and went the full route of 10d-20d, 1ds, 5d - 5d IV and 1dx (rented for big trips) through 2016. I purchased the 1dx II & 5d IV when announced and those have been my primary bodies until I purchased the R5 in July. I have always invested in glass with a preference for the flexibility of zooms 24-70 I & II, 70-200 I & II, 100-400 I & II, 1.4x TC II/III, 2x TC II/III (when needed). I had the original 600mm F4, but sold it after 3 years due to the weight (almost 14lbs). The Africa photos are predominately 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x TC - rented for the first Africa trip until I purchased a factory refurb at the end of 2016 (great price). I have rented lenses like the 500 & 600 I/II for trips where I knew my owned lenses would not give me enough reach. I would say the quality of the glass has been the most significant contributor to the quality of the images w/ sensor second and the zooms have improved significantly over time. The glass is one of the reasons I have stayed with Canon even when there have been better sensor/body options on the market. I think other vendors have rounded out their glass either natively or 3rd party and Canon doesn't have quite as much edge. I sold my 200-400 because I wanted to reduce weight, but would buy back in for a 200-500(600) f5.6 @ 6lbs (my wish list). I believe the 200-400 w/integrated 1.4x is the most versatile and high quality wildlife/safari lenses on the planet because you are f4 f200-400 and with the flip of switch 280-560 with a max f5.6. I was hoping the 200-400 would get the big white III weight loss program.
A nice window into your Canon gear adjustments and acquistions over the years. They have served you well. Back in the 80's, I switched from Minolta to Canon, after going into my local camera store and playing with a Canon EF 300mm F4 L lens. I just couldn't believe how quiet and fast this new USM tech was. That day, I was instantly hooked and bought my first Canon bundle, an A2-E body and the impressive 300mm F4L. I have been a Canon user ever since, primarily because of their awsome glass. My first digital camera was the Canon 20D, which I picked up on a trip to the V.I. in 2004. I loved and used that camera for several yrs., before giving it to one of my nieces, who still uses it to this day. Thx for sharing your Canon time line and the photos.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
---

True! Canon makes a LOT of money on medical optics, copy/printing machines and micro-precision manufacturing systems so they COULD survive without the consumer camera and lens division quite easily. Same with Sony! With them being part of the Mitsui Keiretsu they have ENORMOUS ENGINEERING, INDUSTRIAL and BANKING RESOURCES available to them if anything goes wrong on the sales side. They're biggest moneymaker is Playstation Services and Image Sensors divisions. The NEW Apple super smartphones AND Apple MF camera ALL use low-light capable Sony Exmor-style Global Shutter sensors (i.e. expensive BUT VERY VERY GOOD IMAGE QUALITY!)

The problem is that Apple IS cannibalizing Sony pro imaging sales and even their consumer goods divisions via iPhone and iPad. Only Sony Sensors is really making any money and ONCE APPLE creates and builds their OWN image sensor (i.e. that internal rumour is RAMPANT around here!) they can cut Sony out completely! Apple did that with Qualcomm and Intel, so THEY ABSOLUTELY CAN take out Sony's sensor division with their OWN IMAGING HARDWARE !!!

These new large sensor Super-Smartphones using Sony GS sensors is merely buying APPLE ENOUGH TIME to develop their OWN 8K+ CMOS image sensors. I should also note the 32 inch OLED is being modified heavily BY Apple from an LG display and the internal rumour mill has it that Apple may open THEIR OWN DISPLAY MANUFACTURING FACILITY in Texas or Arizona to build customized and VERY HIGH END OLED displays. Do note they have within the last 10 years bought or licenced OLED/LED display power management, colour management and display manufacturing systems patent portfolios from Philips, Nokia, NEC and even Eizo!

Apple has been VERY BUSY these last 18 months! Very Secretive AND VERY BUSY on the imaging, display and 3D printing side of things!

V
Hope your dreams come true, I own stock!

• Haha
Upvote 0
How can focus better than R5 and R6? It will focus even before you push the button? If focus where you point your eye in the evf? Lol

Did you know, this was actually a function in use on the EOS 3.. And that was an analog camera.. I wonder why it hasn’t shown up in digital cameras so far.. I mean, they stopped making the EOS 3 in 2003 or something..

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Because (I live in South Texas) 70% of the planet has never seen snow or ice, and are pretty clueless about the various sports being showcased at winter olympics (their loss, I agree, I grew up on skis in Switzerland). Summer Olympics are much more popular. I found this online: "The 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, Canada, were watched by 3.5 million people worldwide. The most recent summer games, held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, drew in an audience of 3.6 billion viewers."

It's not just more interest and more viewers. It's also longer and has more events and venues.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Because (I live in South Texas) 70% of the planet has never seen snow or ice, and are pretty clueless about the various sports being showcased at winter olympics (their loss, I agree, I grew up on skis in Switzerland). Summer Olympics are much more popular. I found this online: "The 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, Canada, were watched by 3.5 million people worldwide. The most recent summer games, held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, drew in an audience of 3.6 billion viewers."

3.6 billion (which was the entire population of planet Earth in the early 1970s!) versus 3.5 million? A better-than-thousandfold difference? Holy smokes.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I think your premise there is simply not matching what's actually going on. It would be news to me if the image signal of each pixel wasn't just the sum of the two half-pixels' values.

On the 5DIV that is certainly not the case - as evidenced by the fact that there is software out there that can use the data from both subframes and improve the dynamic range of the 5DIV by up to a stop. Unless something happened between the 5DIV and the EOS-R that I have not read about.

Upvote 0