M5 @ Photokina hands-on reports

Have there been any hands on reports of speed of focus?

The big problem I've had with the M and M3, is that there is always a button to firing delay that I just have never seen with Canon's on the DSLR side of things.
I don't typically own super high end cameras, but my Canon T1i, 70D and now 80D have always never been lagging in the focus department, but the M(horrible) and the M3(better) have always felt slow.

It's hard to tell from any of the early videos of the camera in action if they've solved that issue completely. Hopefully they have.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
thetechhimself said:
overniven said:
Have there been any hands on reports of speed of focus?

The big problem I've had with the M and M3, is that there is always a button to firing delay that I just have never seen with Canon's on the DSLR side of things.
I don't typically own super high end cameras, but my Canon T1i, 70D and now 80D have always never been lagging in the focus department, but the M(horrible) and the M3(better) have always felt slow.

It's hard to tell from any of the early videos of the camera in action if they've solved that issue completely. Hopefully they have.

"I also liked the M5's speed of operation. It boots up quickly and, thanks to Canon's dual-pixel focusing system, finds focus quickly. It obviously beats my Sony shooter, but that's too easy a comparison given my current camera's age and lower price" - TheVerge

It's in the link.

The Verge didn't like the IQ, but, considering the LCD preview stinks on the M3, and images are crisp when imported, that doesn't say much about the M5 which I suspect is the same turf.

The reviewer states that he didn't think that the image quality was that much better than the Sony/zeiss combo that he's used to. Bit of a liberty as he's comparing an expensive zeiss lens with a canon kit lens.

Upvote 0
And another question,

Do these mirrorless systems have a similar concept as "back-button focus" as in DSLRs? Can I set the focus point on the screen somewhere, focus there, and then recompose and shoot without refocusing after recomposing? And can I refocus repeatedly for that selected point via a button (not touching the screen again)? If mirrorless systems have this concept, does M5 support it? Or is this need somehow altogether obsolete in the mirrorless domain?

I have no previous experience with mirrorless systems, but I am getting interested in this M5...

Upvote 0
photennek said:
And another question,

Do these mirrorless systems have a similar concept as "back-button focus" as in DSLRs? Can I set the focus point on the screen somewhere, focus there, and then recompose and shoot without refocusing after recomposing? And can I refocus repeatedly for that selected point via a button (not touching the screen again)? If mirrorless systems have this concept, does M5 support it? Or is this need somehow altogether obsolete in the mirrorless domain?

I have no previous experience with mirrorless systems, but I am getting interested in this M5...

Yes, kind of possible. Since the original M it's been possible to set the star button on the wheel (exposure lock) as the AF-ON button instead. This essentially makes it BBF but I found it not as ergonomic and went back to the standard focus on my M and M2 as most of the time I just need it to focus on the nearest object and landscapes are pretty easy to handle compared to moving targets.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
photennek said:
And another question,

Yes, kind of possible. Since the original M it's been possible to set the star button on the wheel (exposure lock) as the AF-ON button instead. This essentially makes it BBF but I found it not as ergonomic and went back to the standard focus on my M and M2 as most of the time I just need it to focus on the nearest object and landscapes are pretty easy to handle compared to moving targets.

M5 seems to have the star button as an independent button, so perhaps it inherits the same configurability and can now be better used for bbf. I can imagine the original M star location on the wheel is not very ergonomic.

Sounds good, I'm hopeful.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
photennek said:
M5 seems to have the star button as an independent button, so perhaps it inherits the same configurability and can now be better used for bbf. I can imagine the original M star location on the wheel is not very ergonomic.

Sounds good, I'm hopeful.

On the M3 the star button can be defined as a back focus button to set the focus independently of the shutter button. Its position is nicely under the thumb, so if you like to use a back focus button, this would work well.

Upvote 0