Moon photos

If I may I'd like to add my image of the moon taken with my old 30D on my scope a few years ago.

Processing boiled down to a huge effort to get the sharpening right.

Colour is calculated and set to match the exact moon colour (which is approx 7% bighter red than blue.. i.e very very faintly pink) when I first did this the image came alive for me, so I've kept to this colour. The image is a link to the full res shot, please feel free to explore. I also padded the image on left and right so I could use it as a desktop wallpaper.

What I need to do is take a long series of shots, stack with dither then sharpen, as it would produce a much sharper and more detailed image after processing.. something for 2016, as it is this is simply a carefully processed single image.

moon001.jpg

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
I shot this first image a couple of nights ago while getting the feel for the 500mm f4 with a 1.4x extender. It is OK considering the equipment. I am, however, and old hand at lunar photography and have a fair number of worthy (IMHO) imagery attempts. The most interesting of my mosaics are too large for this forum, unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_6467_v2.jpg
    IMG_6467_v2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Shot with Canon 60D body mounted on an 8-inch Cassegrain telescope on July 19, about 9:30PM. 100% crop.
Biggest image I've been able to get. With my camera and a X2/200mm lens, the size of the moon on the photo is no bigger than 1/20th this size!
Thanks to Neal and Kay, my neighbors who owns the telescope, for the opportunity!
Next stop, when the night sky is clear, Saturn. What Neal wants.
-r

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks Valvebounce!
Look, I'm Chinese, I was looking for Chang'e (Google her) and her white rabbit ::) ;D.
What I like to get is a simple way of focusing the set up, as it is now, the gear in the telescope is just too stiff and sensitive. A tiny twist will move the focus too, too much. So it is with the telescope alignment, too. I miss the ease of focus (manually or auto) of a camera lens. Then, my magnification is poor.
-r

PS., I read recently somewhere that the American flag planted on the moon is deteriorating after these nearly 50 years. Time to replace it!

Valvebounce said:
Hi Lion rock.
Nice shot, still can't see the lunar rover, let alone the flag. ;D ::)

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0