More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I think in the 11 months since the R release, Canon has introduced a nice amount of glass plus a 2nd body. However, reading here, you would think it's been around 5 years and Canon is lagging. Some of you people are unrealistic and downright impatient. It will happen, it just isn't magic or knee jerk reaction R&D. Do yourself a favor and study up on product cycles in the imaging industry.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Yes, it definitely occurred to me as I was typing that it might not even be a half-bad idea. On the smaller bodies, changing the AF point using the main touchscreen apparently works very well, but on a larger camera the main screen is a bit too far away. Additionally, a digital joystick isn't really the right control anymore when you have thousands of AF point positions to select from. An analog stick or a touchpad should work much better—now that I think about it, I wouldn't even be surprised if the "new type" ends up being either of those. Or, hell, why not a trackball (one with enough friction to prevent unintended movements)?
A trackball would be awesome, except for that pesky getting dirt in a trackball thing. :)

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I think in the 11 months since the R release, Canon has introduced a nice amount of glass plus a 2nd body. However, reading here, you would think it's been around 5 years and Canon is lagging. Some of you people are unrealistic and downright impatient. It will happen, it just isn't magic or knee jerk reaction R&D. Do yourself a favor and study up on product cycles in the imaging industry.
I agree. The anticipation of a pro mirrorless body has overshadowed all the impressive progress Canon is actually making. They're setting themselves up for long-term success in my opinion...even though they're currently behind on the mirrorless game.

Upvote 0

But I'm not buying the Canon Inc. I'm buying a camera for myself.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I agree. The anticipation of a pro mirrorless body has overshadowed all the impressive progress Canon is actually making. They're setting themselves up for long-term success in my opinion...even though they're currently behind on the mirrorless game.

This makes sense--when the Big One comes out (and precisely what that is depends on whether you want a mirrorless 1D, 5D, or 5DS or even 7D) the lenses are already there. Unlike with EOS-M where the lenses are somewhat lacking and (I suspect) likely to be limited forever unless Canon decides to make them physically wider.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
I believe the "new type of joystick" is going to be an eight-directional touchpad controller building on the tremendous success of the touch bar on the R. Remember, you heard it from me first! ;)

I heard it’s a retro Atari joystick that plugs into the USB port. Guaranteed to make you feel like a kid again. You can play asteroids on the back screen too when you are done shooting. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Rumors, your push notifications pop up banner is incredibly intrusive and annoying. I always click on "Don't Allow", but every next time I visit here, this pop up appears again.
Why do you keep torturing your readers like that?

Do you have cookies turned off? It doesn't "torture" users.... There are more than 30,000 people subscribed to those notifications. It's something on your end that keeps them coming up for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
Joystick is very welcome addition.
Would be nice to have user selectable high speed (higher frame rate) crop mode.
Also one point AF area the smaller, the better.
Eye/face recognition would be very welcome as well.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Do you have cookies turned off? It doesn't "torture" users.... There are more than 30,000 people subscribed to those notifications. It's something on your end that keeps them coming up for you.

I believe he's referring to the thingamabob (highly technical term) that comes up when one first visits the site and asks if you want to allow it to push notifications...not the notifications themselves. (Correct me if I'm wrong, bellorusso)

In an ideal world, the site would look at who is logged in, and not pop the banner up--rather than using a cookie to figure out which machine is visiting it. Thus new users on a shared machine would see it once, and the user who said No won't see it when he logs on from another machine. Of course, this would fail for people who don't log in (lurkers, etc.)...so maybe it's best the way it is.

That being said, that would be beyond the control/knowledge of the plug in that's doing it (sometimes a totally different party than the people who wrote the software that "powers" the site).

Upvote 0
I’d have to imagine the video specs will be mundane considering the resolution as clearly this isnt built for video. That said I’d also imagine this is where we see the new IBIS system being rumored to work in tandem with lens IS for some crazy good combo IS with even more than 5 stops of performance. My only real complaint with my 5DSR is that it’s (understandably) nearly impossible to hand hold shoot and get maximum effectiveness of the high-res without some really high shutter speeds which arent always possible even at times with an IS lens. An 83MP sensor would even further exaggerate this issue without some amazing IBIS (short of having to tripod shoot all the time). Cant wait to see what they come up with!

Assuming they had the read speed, they could do FF read out and get 4K with 3x oversampling, otherwise even 8K would require large crop ~ 1.5x. They'll have to offer 4K and Sony does FF 4K from the 61MP A7RIV so curious if they go for better solution or gimped solution.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hope is my isn’t larger than the EOSR. I think the R’s size should be the limit for mirrorless cameras. I think camera manufacturers need to think about that.
They do think about that. Personally, I wouldn't mind them being bigger. That the camera is mirrorless has nothing to do with it, rather, what Canon senses their market wants. The wildlife and sports people with big lenses, I assume, will want a larger frame without having to add a grip.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I blame microwave ovens and TV dinners for the lack of patience. People have got used to getting things right now.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The wildlife and sports people with big lenses, I assume, will want a larger frame without having to add a grip.

I did a double take because I misread that as "get a grip." Which some people do need to do, but not necessary "wildlife and sport people" so I had to reread it.

The one thing mirrorless buys you is less depth, dimensionally (back to front of camera); I don't see why the camera would necessarily shrink in the other dimensions. (If I am just ignorant, please educate me.)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I did a double take because I misread that as "get a grip." Which some people do need to do, but not necessary "wildlife and sport people" so I had to reread it.

The one thing mirrorless buys you is less depth, dimensionally (back to front of camera); I don't see why the camera would necessarily shrink in the other dimensions. (If I am just ignorant, please educate me.)
I don't think I need to educate you. You seem smart enough, and I am not.

The R is far smaller in weight, length, and height than the 5D Mark IV and 1DX Mark II and even the 7D Mark II.

What I meant was that people with big whites might want a larger body (Taller) for more balance and purchase for their right hand. Of course, if they use a gimble, I guess it doesn't matter. I have the R and it is great for the size lenses I use.
R = 660g. 136 x 98 x 84 mm
5D Mark IV = 890g. 151 x 116 x 76 mm
1DX Mark II = 1340g. 158 x 164 x 83.
Then again, there are people who use the 7D Mark II = 910g. 149 x 112 x 78 mm which is still a lot bigger than the R.

If I were shooting handheld with the R and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II I'd probably prefer a larger body or want a battery grip for the R.

Hope is my isn’t larger than the EOSR. I think the R’s size should be the limit for mirrorless cameras. I think camera manufacturers need to think about that.

So what I was responding to was somebody who said that Canon's FF mirrorless should be limited to the size of the R, just because they are mirrorless, and that Canon should think about that.

I think the higher end will be larger. The R is pretty small. The RP is very small.

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Capture 4.JPG
    Capture 4.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
An LCD that can be tilted up into waist level viewfinder position sounds natural to me, but why would an EVF be tiltable?

I guess for the same reason the Angle Finder C exists. And the EVF-DC1 is tiltable as well. Though a tiltable rear screen largely makes those obsolete, I guess.

Upvote 0