More Canon announcements coming in 2020

It's almost like trapping air in some form of pockets (Let's say, between fabric or layers of clothing) makes for a great insulation :LOL:

Nonetheless, if you have the link at hand to your source for how the time to fully cool down is affected by putting the camera in a fridge or freezer it would be nice if you could post it. I have seen a video where a guy tested record times and put the camera into a fridge between recordings to reset it, but that wasn't actually part of his experiment so not useful to make any deductions.
yeah it was part of my writeup on all this nonsense.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This Chinese guy experiment shows something that it need to be noticed.
Even if the camera is open during the experiment, and, obviously, the cooling will be easier this way.
It shows that the picture EXIF file temperature is the same than the actual body temperature at its hottest point.
Yes, the ARM CPU's in the system are probably designed to cut off at around 60C to prevent significant problems with the camera.
Canon knows the thermal coefficients and how much they can run the camera, especially if they are indeed limited on sensors.

If canon had a bazillion temp sensors in there they could more reliably judge the temperature. What I suspect is that they have very few, and are making some judgment calls based upon what they feel is nominal operation. In other words - assumption if temp here hits x degrees for so long, then this should be around n degrees and this should be y degrees, and if so, it takes on average n minutes for everything to cool down.

Canon may also shutdown the camera when they think that stills will be impacted and not necessarily only video. No idea.

We really don't know all the factors Canon is considering in this. Andrew doesn't have an objective cell in his body for this, and nor any technical knowledge or background. He's jumping wildly to assumptions without all the facts. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets contacted by a Canon lawyer. While reporting his findings is one thing, accusing Canon of criminal behavior is another.

Upvote 0
I think it's very possible that Canon knows something we don't about the overheating issues, and even if there is some sort of internal timer rather than actual temperature reading, this may be based on some sort of judgment call for how much heat they expect to build up within the system over time.

With that said, among the people who think that Canon is deliberately crippling the camera, the assumption seems to be that it is specifically to avoid cannibalizing the cinema line. If they think that having 8K in a mirrorless body will keep people from buying the cinema cams, isn't the logical solution to that just to make 8K cinema cameras? The fact that the rumored new additions to the cinema cam line are 4K, combined with the fact that we know Canon has a good 8K sensor available, appears to indicate they think many cinema cam customers are happy with 4K for now.

Alternatively, if indeed Canon is "intentionally crippling" the R5, maybe there's another explanation? They can't keep up with demand for the R5 right now, and even most RF lenses are currently sold out, despite the overheating issues. Maybe Canon is just waiting for supply to catch up with demand before releasing a firmware update that will add new features and fix existing issues?

Just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The funny thing is Canon is lying about the overheating. The R5 can shoot 8K raw without issue. The overheating warning is driven purely by a timer. Actual temperature has nothing to do with it. Pull the internal coin cell battery and the timer is reset. Nothing to do with temperature at all. I’ve personally shot 8 hours straight with the R5 in 4K HQ and the body while warm was never uncomfortable to the touch. It’s all just deliberate firmware timer crippling to segment this amazing body from the Cinema line.
Here’s a link to where a user pulled the battery while constantly monitoring the cameras with a thermal imager.

Canon did it, they made a mirrorless that can shoot all day long in 8K raw... without overheating... and then they purposely crippled it.

Still waiting on those links to the used R5s...

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Andrew doesn't have an objective cell in his body for this, and nor any technical knowledge or background. He's jumping wildly to assumptions without all the facts. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets contacted by a Canon lawyer. While reporting his findings is one thing, accusing Canon of criminal behavior is another.

This.

I can't believe people keep citing this guy as some kind of valid reference for anything except pointless drama.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Well I started streaming @8am and finished streaming @4pm so yes I’m pretty sure. And I’ve been doing this every day. I have been testing the R5 as a replacement for my Blackmagic Micro Studio Cameras. So one of my 4 shots is now the R5. But all cameras roll continuously.
Here’s what no surprise... the R5... like all Pro Canon bodies, just works. It doesn’t have a additional thermal pads or a heat sink, because Canon figured out a way to keep thermals under control, so that they were not needed. The Canon Engineering team designed a great camera... then for some reason a decision was made to add a timer that would cripple it. Deliberately cripple what is probably the most amazing mirrorless camera ever crafted. I find that absolutely infuriating. OVERHEATING IS FAKE!

2.5 hours is what others were reporting with battery grip attached. 4 hours external recording with no cards in NTSC. 8 hours is a news...

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
thats nice and all but you announced a R5 back in the begining of July that I still cant get cause every camera store doesn't have one, has no clue when theyre getting any either, try and fufill your previous announcements before you start announcing new things. The funniest part is on the Canon sites they have "The wait is Over" No its NOT! lol

Well, it appears that B&H are shipping them out as fast as they get them, first come first server....try one there maybe?

B&H R5 Canon camera for sale

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0
When the camera overheat and you remove the battery, the camera keep you waiting for a fake "cool down time"
But if you remove this battery cell (and so the time is also lost) suddenly, you can shoot again!!!

Yes, you can continuing shooting by bypassing the protection features, but you will likely kill your camera by operating your camera at high temps. Enough information has been posted by CanonNews explaining everything.

The camera actually cool down in about 5mn instead of fake 2 hours wait.

If heat is being generated in the camera and you don't feel the heat through the body that means that the heat dissipation through the body is very minimal, so the long wait is not fake.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes, you can continuing shooting by bypassing the protection features, but you will likely kill your camera by operating your camera at high temps. Enough information has been posted by CanonNews explaining everything.

If heat is being generated in the camera and you don't feel the heat through the body that means that the heat dissipation through the body is very minimal, so the long wait is not fake.

Why confuse these people with logic? Canon bad, end of story as far as they're concerned. You're just going to break their concentration on their mantra if you keep throwing logical arguments at them, and they'll resent it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Still waiting on those links to the used R5s...

Sold listings are an impressive rebuttal against the bullshit. With an average sold price of $5,400 I don't know of another mass market camera that has sold for so much above list price.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I have the EF16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and 100-400. It will be too costly to migrate to the RF version.
I agree, not cheap at all. I did it slowly when the F2.8's were released, since I figured when the R5 came along lenses may be harder to get. Looks like this is true with the 15-35, not so much the others. So now I just need an R5 lol. And the RF's will probably drop a little in price, but I bet not much and very slowly.

There is nothing wrong with using those EF's on an R body, they work very well too!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I agree, not cheap at all. I did it slowly when the F2.8's were released, since I figured when the R5 came along lenses may be harder to get. Looks like this is true with the 15-35, not so much the others. So now I just need an R5 lol. And the RF's will probably drop a little in price, but I bet not much and very slowly.

There is nothing wrong with using those EF's on an R body, they work very well too!

I came into this recently enough to try to futureproof myself. The R5 is my *first* full frame camera--my others are an M50 and M6-II plus a T6i that's now dedicated for a single purpose. Knowing I'd go full frame when Canon released something I like (and the R5 was almost exactly what I was waiting for), I stopped buying APS-C (except native M) a couple of years ago. No issues with buying EF though, as I don't mind adapters (and they will work on both R and M cameras). I did get the 100-400 II L fairly recently, fully expecting to adapt it to both cameras (and I have). So when the R5 came out I found myself holding that 100-400 plus three very definitely non-L prime lenses (40mm pancake, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8) as the only lenses I could use on the camera. I had thoughts of buying the EF 16-35 mm (either f ratio), I ended up with an RF 15-35 f/2.8 L and an even deeper sucking chest wound in my finances. Still have no mid-range zoom though! (24-105 f/4L on backorder order from the refurb shop--comes with an RP accessory for super cheap.) I'm able to end up with two out of three of my zooms as RF, really, only because I got here late and don't have a lot of legacy glass.

Folks who've been around for a while have much bigger problems transitioning--but only if they really think they have to. The adapters work perfectly.

EF lenses may not see much development from here on out, but I don't see the existing models going away for at least 5 years or more, as they are useful on EVERY Canon ILC. I certainly don't consider them obsolete!

Upvote 0
Here is my wishlist for upcoming products.

R5s - or whatever the high MP, no AA filter option is going to be called. Will add this body in a heartbeat to my R5 currently on order (backorders need to speed up)
Lenses - Fast ultra wide angle. Would love a 12-24 f2.0 (but anything 2.8 or faster will be an instant buy). I would prefer something wider than 15-35 and would take a 14mm fast prime or wider for a fast UWA could be a game changer for my type of photography (landscape and astro).
70-200 f4 - already in the pipeline and this is an instant buy upon release.
Big Whites in RF mount - I have a 600mm f4 vII. Looking to upgrade/replace that lens with something similar that is RF native and hopefully much lighter. Also looking forward to using the RF extenders on this super-telephoto lens natively.

Those are my wish list items. Will buy them all upon release and hopefully it won't be much longer than the next 12 months.

Bob

Upvote 0
Here is my wishlist for upcoming products.

R5s - or whatever the high MP, no AA filter option is going to be called. Will add this body in a heartbeat to my R5 currently on order (backorders need to speed up)
Lenses - Fast ultra wide angle. Would love a 12-24 f2.0 (but anything 2.8 or faster will be an instant buy). I would prefer something wider than 15-35 and would take a 14mm fast prime or wider for a fast UWA could be a game changer for my type of photography (landscape and astro).
70-200 f4 - already in the pipeline and this is an instant buy upon release.
Big Whites in RF mount - I have a 600mm f4 vII. Looking to upgrade/replace that lens with something similar that is RF native and hopefully much lighter. Also looking forward to using the RF extenders on this super-telephoto lens natively.

Those are my wish list items. Will buy them all upon release and hopefully it won't be much longer than the next 12 months.

Bob
I will take your wish list and swap in there a 14-35mm F4L IS USM. a 2.0 would be too big, costly and impractical for me personally. I'd also like it to go to 35mm so it's more of a walk around versus swapping all the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So you want all of these along with the excellent bodies in just 2 years? Are you even serious? Who else have done all these things from ground up in under 2 years?

I mean, let's cultivate patience.

RF started not with a camera but with release of a 50mm F1.2 heavier than it's DSLR counterpart with more elements in more groups, bucking the compact lens mirror less lens theme outright and doubling down with an unprecedented F2.0 zoom lens. Thats guts!

Upvote 0