More Canon announcements coming in 2020

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
So you want all of these along with the excellent bodies in just 2 years? Are you even serious? Who else have done all these things from ground up in under 2 years?

I mean, let's cultivate patience.

In fairness, the EF 300mm 2.8L IS II is getting towards its replacement time. I'm pretty certain an R1 would come with an RF supertele, and the 300mm 2.8 is a great candidate for a smaller sports supertelephoto.

Would love to own an R1 and RF 300mm 2.8L in a year or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Video / Photography, China & Hong Kong
Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
This tiny cell that keep the time and other parameters when the camera battery is removed.

When the camera overheat and you remove the battery, the camera keep you waiting for a fake "cool down time"
But if you remove this battery cell (and so the time is also lost) suddenly, you can shoot again!!!

The camera actually cool down in about 5mn instead of fake 2 hours wait.

All the readings also shows that the CF card or the sensor are not the main heat producer.

Now, I would love to hear what these youtube review think about that...

You can see the cell on this picture. It's on the processor board, on the sensor side, so you need to remove both last board to do it.

Attachments

• canon-EOS-R5-timer-reset.jpg
    canon-EOS-R5-timer-reset.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 0
Oh wow, thanks for the explanation. That at the same time good news and bad news. Good news cause it looks like this how debacle could be fixed by firmware, bad news because now we can assume canon purposely limited the camera and won’t solve it for us.
but then does this mean that removing the cell battery also resets the custom shooting modes programmed by the user and essentially resets the camera to factory default?
is It difficult to remove? any tools required?
cheers

edit: never mind, impossible to remove it during a run and gun shoot lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This tiny cell that keep the time and other parameters when the camera battery is removed.

When the camera overheat and you remove the battery, the camera keep you waiting for a fake "cool down time"
But if you remove this battery cell (and so the time is also lost) suddenly, you can shoot again!!!
There's several other factors that Canon could be accounting for.

The theory that the timer is simply set as already been debunked many times by people popping their R5's into the freezer and the 2 hours goes down to 25 minutes if it was a straight timer, the time obviously would not change. However, don't expect THAT narrative from the source of this nonsense.

it is temperature based, but it's probably attempting to allow for ambient and external cooldown based upon the actual camera being .. well, not in pieces and in open air (such as how this test is performed). The thermal differences between an enclosed sealed container and open air are just a TAD bit different.. Canon has to minimize the external shell heat - it's not as simple as people are making this out to be. The external surface of the camera cannot exceed 48C, and the sensor itself cannot exceed ... oh, if I had to guess probably somewhere around 50C without a dramatic dynamic range and noise impact.

That all being said, the software does seem to be overly conservative. To claim it's deliberate is wrapping the tin foil too tightly because there's too many variables at play here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
++++ I’ve personally shot 8 hours straight with the R5 in 4K HQ and the body while warm was never uncomfortable to the touch.
A.M.: 8 hours straight in 4kHQ... are you sure? :)
Well I started streaming @8am and finished streaming @4pm so yes I’m pretty sure. And I’ve been doing this every day. I have been testing the R5 as a replacement for my Blackmagic Micro Studio Cameras. So one of my 4 shots is now the R5. But all cameras roll continuously.
Here’s what no surprise... the R5... like all Pro Canon bodies, just works. It doesn’t have a additional thermal pads or a heat sink, because Canon figured out a way to keep thermals under control, so that they were not needed. The Canon Engineering team designed a great camera... then for some reason a decision was made to add a timer that would cripple it. Deliberately cripple what is probably the most amazing mirrorless camera ever crafted. I find that absolutely infuriating. OVERHEATING IS FAKE!

Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
The theory that the timer is simply set as already been debunked many times by people popping their R5's into the freezer and the 2 hours goes down to 25 minutes if it was a straight timer, the time obviously would not change.
Could you share the link to this? Or it's another "noise"

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
There's several other factors that Canon could be accounting for.

The theory that the timer is simply set as already been debunked many times by people popping their R5's into the freezer and the 2 hours goes down to 25 minutes if it was a straight timer, the time obviously would not change. However, don't expect THAT narrative from the source of this nonsense.

it is temperature based, but it's probably attempting to allow for ambient and external cooldown based upon the actual camera being .. well, not in pieces and in open air (such as how this test is performed). The thermal differences between an enclosed sealed container and open air are just a TAD bit different.. Canon has to minimize the external shell heat - it's not as simple as people are making this out to be. The external surface of the camera cannot exceed 48C, and the sensor itself cannot exceed ... oh, if I had to guess probably somewhere around 50C without a dramatic dynamic range and noise impact.

That all being said, the software does seem to be overly conservative. To claim it's deliberate is wrapping the tin foil too tightly because there's too many variables at play here.
It overheats in a refrigerator with an ambient temp of 4C and an internal temp of 30c... the cripple is real. I know... I own the R5.

Further more the actual cool down time is 2 minutes. Because there are no super insulated alien technology components in the R5. Just like pretty much everything else on earth... wait a couple of minutes and it cools down. Do you really buy it takes 2 hours for a chip that’s the size of a penny to cool down with no power running to it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
It overheats in a refrigerator with an ambient temp of 4C and an internal temp of 30c... the cripple is real. I know... I own the R5.
Useless fight with him.
Even in front of evidence, still saying all is normal.

Need to defend Canon, need to defend Canon... my precious...

Upvote 0

Further more the actual cool down time is 2 minutes. Because there are no super insulated alien technology components in the R5. Just like pretty much everything else on earth... wait a couple of minutes and it cools down. Do you really buy it takes 2 hours for a chip that’s the size of a penny to cool down with no power running to it?

Ambient trapped air does not cool down in a sealed space that quickly in a sealed space. ambient will slowly rise with an increase of heat based sources, and it will slowly decrease the same and find equilibrium. the fact that you have a delta T of 26C is pretty significant actually especially if the camera mass at a chance to reach 4C. what you don't know is what the processor and card temperatures were at that time. The temperature sensor is not the processor, nor the sensor, but usually an IO interface for the RF communications with the lens. That was at least the initial specifications of that field in the EXIF.

Also the theory doesn't make much sense when the camera will record nearly indefinitely without cards which are a significant contributor to heat.

Nor does it explain for instance, the fact that the cooldown times go from 2 hours down to 25 minutes if you seriously cool the camera either. Why? becuase you are cooling the mass, which in turn cools down the ambient trapped air inside of the camera quicker, thus also cooling down everything else.

There is more to it than what you suggest but think what you may.

I have repeatedly stated there seems to be something fishy about the software. Most cameras don't attempt to predict your future record times,etc. and it seems like that it is based upon assumptions that may or may not fit in with all environmental factors. There's also this looming european rules going into effect for low temperature handling of equipment - but to be honest, this has been stated by people, but I could neither confirm or deny it's existance. But apparently it was supposed to go in 2021.

My point is, you can't say it's deliberate because you, in fact do not (and neither do I) have all the facts on the matter.

But if you go out looking for "deliberate crippling", you can find them in just about anything these days if you have the right confirmation bias.

Edit:

Roger from lensrentals weighed in on this as well.

I consider Roger a pretty trusted unbiased resource, unlike someone for instance who has an axe to grind, like Andrew.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Ambient trapped air does not cool down in a sealed space that quickly in a sealed space.
It's almost like trapping air in some form of pockets (Let's say, between fabric or layers of clothing) makes for a great insulation :LOL:

Nonetheless, if you have the link at hand to your source for how the time to fully cool down is affected by putting the camera in a fridge or freezer it would be nice if you could post it. I have seen a video where a guy tested record times and put the camera into a fridge between recordings to reset it, but that wasn't actually part of his experiment so not useful to make any deductions.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It's almost like trapping air in some form of pockets (Let's say, between fabric or layers of clothing) makes for a great insulation :LOL:

Nonetheless, if you have the link at hand to your source for how the time to fully cool down is affected by putting the camera in a fridge or freezer it would be nice if you could post it. I have seen a video where a guy tested record times and put the camera into a fridge between recordings to reset it, but that wasn't actually part of his experiment so not useful to make any deductions.

Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
I consider Roger a pretty trusted unbiased resource, unlike someone for instance who has an axe to grind, like Andrew.
This Chinese guy experiment shows something that it need to be noticed.
Even if the camera is open during the experiment, and, obviously, the cooling will be easier this way.
It shows that the picture EXIF file temperature is the same than the actual body temperature at its hottest point.

With this in mind, you have to link to Andrew fridge experiment, and see how "conservative" the cooling down recovery time is.
All the pictures shows a EXIF temperature that do not change for 50mn, still, the camera is locked down and can't record video.

But using an external recorder shows temperature way higher than this... and the camera still record.

Is it a bug or a feature?

Upvote 0