More EF-M lenses in the future

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
dcm said:
Another tidbit from this Photokina article regarding EOS M, Canon's third lens ecosystem.

The newest range of Canon lenses is the EF-M series for the company's new "mirrorless" cameras, a line that's more compact than traditional SLRs. Canon only has a handful of EF-M lenses, but during a press conference here, the company committed to adding more.

That's notable, since it indicates that Canon is playing a long game with its mirrorless models, which were late to market compared to many rivals' models and thus far haven't spread widely.

http://www.cnet.com/news/canon-reveals-details-for-future-telephoto-lens-line/

What would Canon announce instead? And did they happen to mention in which century these lenses would be introduced? If Canon had introduced something like the Panasonic GM5 at Photokina, they might have some credibility but, as it stands now, there is no reason to believe them.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I am fairly happy with the selection of EF-M lenses. It's only 4, but all of them are good and affordable.
No need whatsoever for another 2 EF-M 18-200/6.3 consumer zooms every month (like Sony or mFT).

I am only missing a 70 to 80mm EF-M portrait pancake ... similar to either Pentx 70/2.4 Limited or Pentax 77/1.8 Limited. Plus possibly a smaller/lighter EF-M version of the EF-S 60/2.8 Macro.

Really missing is a much better EOS M body. With top-notch EVF, way better AF system, fully aritculated LCD and LP-E6N battery in a slightly larger grip.

And I don't care at all, whether it is called mirrorless or EVIL or anything else. As long as it comes without a flippin' mirror. Acutally I'd like to get a mirrorless camera with a fully electronic, non-mechanical shutter and an electronic aperture. I'd call that one "solid state camera" ... or in short S.S.C. ;D :p:)

Upvote 0
I'm currently reviewing two EF-M mount lenses from third party manufacturers: Tamron 18-200 VC and Rokinon 12mm f/2. They are both very good lenses: the Tamron does a little bit of everything quite well. But the little Rokinon (manual everything) is a true treat. It is basically a better version of the 14mm f/2.8: less distortion, similar sharpness, and can use traditional filters. I LOVE it! The only thing holding it back is the basic limitations of a crop sensor (as compared to a FF sensor).

My full reviews will be live in the next couple of weeks.

I'm glad to hear of further development for the M. It definitely has limitations, but it produces surprisingly good images. I actually used a 60D for a recent review of a crop sensor lens and was surprised by how much less "clean" the images were compared to the EOS M images. I haven't used a 70D/7DII yet, but I suspect the images from the M will be closer to the 70D than the 60D (I do anticipate the 70D/7DII having the best IQ of the three).

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I'm currently reviewing two EF-M mount lenses from third party manufacturers: Tamron 18-200 VC and Rokinon 12mm f/2. They are both very good lenses: the Tamron does a little bit of everything quite well. But the little Rokinon (manual everything) is a true treat. It is basically a better version of the 14mm f/2.8: less distortion, similar sharpness, and can use traditional filters. I LOVE it! The only thing holding it back is the basic limitations of a crop sensor (as compared to a FF sensor).

I'm glad to hear of further development for the M. It definitely has limitations, but it produces surprisingly good images. I actually used a 60D for a recent review of a crop sensor lens and was surprised by how much less "clean" the images were compared to the EOS M images. I haven't used a 70D/7DII yet, but I suspect the images from the M will be closer to the 70D than the 60D (I do anticipate the 70D/7DII having the best IQ of the three).

I'm not sure I'd be willing to spring for a MF lens for this camera (esp since I have the most excellent 11-22mm), but I greatly look forward to your review of the Tamron. I guess I'll find out how useful that 1/3 less MFD than the Canon turns out to be.

Upvote 0

good to hear!
you are probably gonna make me spend money aren't you?
with these reviews

but what i really want to see canon bring out is an EF-M 15-85 IS that will be killer without all the compromise of a super zoom especially if it is as good as the 11-22 then the 12mm rokinon would fill in the wider end quite nicely.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:

good to hear!
you are probably gonna make me spend money aren't you?
with these reviews

but what i really want to see canon bring out is an EF-M 15-85 IS that will be killer without all the compromise of a super zoom especially if it is as good as the 11-22 then the 12mm rokinon would fill in the wider end quite nicely.

That would be nice. The 15-85 IS was my favorite EF-S lens.

Upvote 0