More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

Loibisch said:
Don't try mounting EF-S lenses on Fullframe unless you know exactly what I mean or it could wreck your camera. :)
Did this once with my 5DII. Mirror knocked out of position. Very easy to fix (of course not recommended, but no actual disaster or damage). Don't know if it would be the same for the motor-mirror of the 5DS/R and 5DIV however.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
tama said:
Well, after 42 years: bye bye Canon.

Disappointed! No flip screen, no C-log, no zebra/focus peaking, ...
Could be simply possible; Canon, ask help from innovative customer-oriented people like Magic Lantern,
and don't put sluggish old fashioned cardslots (why not SCSI?) in this camera. I'm a customer and
photo/video-grapher and don't care for your C-range. So refuse to take this crippled dslr and pay a
futuristic price for some about the date tech and specs, less or barely on par with competitors.
Canon could easily make this the top-of-the-bill ff dslr photo/video camera (you have DP raw!) like the 5D MKII.
Only positive for me is DPAF and more pixels than needed (24MP).

Hello metabones and ...

(P.s. Our photo/video club started with 18 members, 72% Canon. Now 34 members, 38% Canon and declining...)

Wow, I guess Canon is doomed. Bummer.

(P.s. H&G ::) )

First post talking about a crippled camera?
Sounds familiar....

Upvote 0
No, Canon is not doomed. Just on the wrong track for some.

First post indeed after many years of reading this and other sites. Never feel the need to respond.
Just now (once) because it hurts after all those years, with some sidesteps.
Had a lot fun with Canon cameras. Still good cameras for stills, but not up front others anymore.
And this update becoming way too expensive.
Its Canons good right to protect the C-line but there are people out there that want stills+video.
Something Canon happily started, but now probably leaves. If they only had given Magic Lantern
a chance with decent slots!
Suppose BMW put no ABS and radio in there 5-series to protect the 7-series...

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
tama said:
No, Canon is not doomed. Just on the wrong track for some.

First post indeed after many years of reading this and other sites. Never feel the need to respond.
Just now (once) because it hurts after all those years, with some sidesteps.
Had a lot fun with Canon cameras. Still good cameras for stills, but not up front others anymore.
And this update becoming way too expensive.
Its Canons good right to protect the C-line but there are people out there that want stills+video.
Something Canon happily started, but now probably leaves. If they only had given Magic Lantern
a chance with decent slots!
Suppose BMW put no ABS and radio in there 5-series to protect the 7-series...

An alternative reading is that canon has produced a stills camera with video functionality that a vast majority of videographers will love and will find meets their needs.
But there is a small number who see any videography that does not meet their needs as being a deliberately crippled camera. What a sad, self-centred, egotistical way of looking at it.

Your ABS analogy is totally screwed up:
the bottom of the range BMW has ABS but the higher end of the range has better ABS. It is not either/or.
If you want better ABS then buy a different car.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Also -- again: ignorant with video -- I understand the kick in the butt/pride/hopes some of the video specs are, but those are wishes / keeping up with the joneses sort of things.

But this 1.74x crop for 4K seems a bit of a death sentence, doesn't it? Are documentarians and field reporters going to bounce to Sony for this?

Someone please explain to me (use small words, I'm a dolt with this) how 1.74x crop will work for videographers. Do you just slap an 11-24L on there and just tape it down at 11mm? (You can only back your feet up so much, right?)

#vidiot #acknowledgmentofignorance #pleaseeducateme

- A

I would say the crop is not ideal for an all in one hybrid camera, but probably workable. A 16-35 2.8 would be 28mm-ish which would be wide enough for most applications. You have more flexibility to re-frame than to find 2x the amount of light in certain venues with the F4 lens.

1.7ish crop is pretty standard for the market segment of cameras I've either purchased or are considering in the next 2-3 months. The Ursa Mini 4K I've shot on is around that crop factor with EF lenses. Shooting 120fps high speed on that camera is 3.4x crop (windowed). The Red Raven is 1.76 or so with EF lenses. But these cameras can't shoot stills and I wouldn't take them with me to any run'n'gun, wedding or eng assignment.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jayphotoworks said:
ahsanford said:
Also -- again: ignorant with video -- I understand the kick in the butt/pride/hopes some of the video specs are, but those are wishes / keeping up with the joneses sort of things.

But this 1.74x crop for 4K seems a bit of a death sentence, doesn't it? Are documentarians and field reporters going to bounce to Sony for this?

Someone please explain to me (use small words, I'm a dolt with this) how 1.74x crop will work for videographers. Do you just slap an 11-24L on there and just tape it down at 11mm? (You can only back your feet up so much, right?)

- A

I would say the crop is not ideal for an all in one hybrid camera, but probably workable. A 16-35 2.8 would be 28mm-ish which would be wide enough for most applications. You have more flexibility to re-frame than to find 2x the amount of light in certain venues with the F4 lens.

1.7ish crop is pretty standard for the market segment of cameras I've either purchased or are considering in the next 2-3 months. The Ursa Mini 4K I've shot on is around that crop factor with EF lenses. Shooting 120fps high speed on that camera is 3.4x crop (windowed). The Red Raven is 1.76 or so with EF lenses. But these cameras can't shoot stills and I wouldn't take them with me to any run'n'gun, wedding or eng assignment.

Super helpful, thanks.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
tama said:

So because the 4th generation of a camera which line has only existed for a quarter of the time you have used and presumably owned Canon equipment doesn't have a few features, you're going to buy new cameras from a different vendor?

I mean, okay, more power to you. I have a metabones and sony camera in addition to my canon stuff, but FWIW, the grass isn't greener, it's just a different shade.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
neuroanatomist said:
tama said:

Disappointed! No flip screen, no C-log, no zebra/focus peaking, ...
Could be simply possible; Canon, ask help from innovative customer-oriented people like Magic Lantern,
and don't put sluggish old fashioned cardslots (why not SCSI?) in this camera. I'm a customer and
photo/video-grapher and don't care for your C-range. So refuse to take this crippled dslr and pay a
futuristic price for some about the date tech and specs, less or barely on par with competitors.
Canon could easily make this the top-of-the-bill ff dslr photo/video camera (you have DP raw!) like the 5D MKII.
Only positive for me is DPAF and more pixels than needed (24MP).

Hello metabones and ...

(P.s. Our photo/video club started with 18 members, 72% Canon. Now 34 members, 38% Canon and declining...)

Wow, I guess Canon is doomed. Bummer.

(P.s. H&G ::) )

Any psychiatrists on the thread that would like to fully explain why people are compelled to sign up to a forum to broadcast their Canon doom and gloom pronouncements? And then, there is what goes on that compels us to respond? ;) Maybe we could have mental health improvement classes on CR so we don't go nuts while managing this disease. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
Any psychiatrists on the thread that would like to fully explain why people are compelled to sign up to a forum to broadcast their Canon doom and gloom pronouncements? And then, there is what goes on that compels us to respond? ;) Maybe we could have mental health improvement classes on CR so we don't go nuts while managing this disease. :)

Jack

I'm no psychiatrist, but I have to believe it's similar to folks who put up too much money on an investment that does not mature (thank goodness I don't have the try-to-get-rich-quick-on-the-market sickness -- I hear the forums on that subject are radioactively vicious).

Besides any surface-level trolls you can skate right past, the deeply emotional 'after X years I'm leaving Canon' folks (I'm just speculating) represent folks with considerable money sunk into Canon gear that cannot be migrated to another platform. It represents trapped money and invested patience that is never fulfilled -- waiting endlessly for the perfect product that will validate their continued financial support of Canon becomes heavier and heavier the longer they wait to bail out. Eventually (for some) the levee breaks and people cut and run. Most who do this (or threaten to do so) give an epic rant before they bounce.

I could totally be wrong, of course.

- A

Upvote 0
As a still shooter, after watching the live panel discussion, I find the following new features interesting:

1) focusing points more spread out vertically and horizontally than any previously released Canon, making rule of third focusing possible. (No need to focus and recompose)
2) extracts shadow details better than any Canon we have seen (other than 1DXmk2) i.e. better dynamic range
(yes, DXOmark's number for 1DXmk2 means something :) )
3) looks like dual pixel raw can give "subtle" image improvements, either in focusing or in bokeh shifting.
4) touch screen focusing in video recording is nice but it is not new.
5) better and faster noise reduction engine
6) face-detection seems to help set exposure but it is not new
7) focusing seems super accurate and sensitive on mk4... (-4EV) sounds better than the excellent mk3
8) AI-level accuracy seems to have improved too.
9) the frame rate button and the "focus area/ISO" button
10) frame-grab from 4k video in camera - real nice... talking about capturing the moment!
11) wifi, love it but not new.
12) HDR video... idea from ML??

For me, just #2 alone is a good enough reason to upgrade! (Tired of Nikon and Sony shooters who
have been able to do this for years lol!)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
PhotoCat said:
As a still shooter, after watching the live panel discussion, I find the following new features interesting:

1) focusing points more spread out vertically and horizontally than any previously released Canon, making rule of third focusing possible. (No need to focus and recompose)
2) extracts shadow details better than any Canon we have seen (other than 1DXmk2) i.e. better dynamic range
(yes, DXOmark's number for 1DXmk2 means something :) )
3) looks like dual pixel raw can give "subtle" image improvements, either in focusing or in bokeh shifting.
4) touch screen focusing in video recording is nice but it is not new.
5) better and faster noise reduction engine
6) face-detection seems to help set exposure but it is not new
7) focusing seems super accurate and sensitive on mk4... (-4EV) sounds better than the excellent mk3
8) AI-level accuracy seems to have improved too.
9) the frame rate button and the "focus area/ISO" button
10) frame-grab from 4k video in camera - real nice... talking about capturing the moment!
11) wifi, love it but not new.
12) HDR video... idea from ML??

For me, just #2 alone is a good enough reason to upgrade! (Tired of Nikon and Sony shooters who
have been able to do this for years lol!)

I missed that in the announcement. Canon's usually pretty sharp on not giving too much new hotness to the 5D that the 1DX line doesn't get, so I am surprised to hear this. Do we have any superimposed AF point spreads of the 5D4 vs. the 1DX2?

Only in LiveView is it -4 EV. For regular (OVF) use it will be -3 EV, which is the same as just about all recent SLRs since the 6D, I believe. But the LiveView -4 EV is new to my knowledge, which one might crack out at concerts or events where you can't use a flash. My 5D3's AF almost never lets me down, but concerts can be frustrating with it.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
PhotoCat said:

I missed that in the announcement. Canon's usually pretty sharp on not giving too much new hotness to the 5D that the 1DX line doesn't get, so I am surprised to hear this. Do we have any superimposed AF point spreads of the 5D4 vs. the 1DX2?

I'm pretty sure it's the same AF module as the 1D X II, so the statement as written is incorrect. FWIW, the 1D X II AF point coverage was expanded in both dimensions relative to the 1D X/5DIII/5Ds.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Jack Douglas said:
And then, there is what goes on that compels us to respond? ;)

Jack

Yup

Now I must exercise more will power to simply not respond or better still when tired just un-check "notify". Since I'm not pre-ordering I think I'll un-check and get some sleep!! :)

In case it doesn't show I am also frustrated that my own needs are not being met but I feel no urge to make bashing type statements. Of course I hope that Canon listens (but only to those who agree with my needs).

Jack

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
ahsanford said:

- A

The 1.74x crop is by measuring the difference of the diagonals. The 256:135 aspect ratio of DCI 4K in a 3:2 frame contributes a 1.06x crop on its own, so the horisontal size of the 4K mode corresponds to what you'd get with a 1.63x crop factor. That's very close to the 40D crop factor of 1.62x. So, what you've got is a mode where your EF-S lenses would be nice if they'd not be designed to be hit by the mirror. But if you go for lenses like the Sigma 18-35/1.8 or the 10-20/3.5 for example, they actually follow the EF mount physical specs but only cover the APS-C sensor size. Perfect for movies on the 5DmkIV I'd say.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
hne said:
But if you go for lenses like the Sigma 18-35/1.8 or the 10-20/3.5 for example, they actually follow the EF mount physical specs but only cover the APS-C sensor size. Perfect for movies on the 5DmkIV I'd say.

Fascinating, so those two deliver EF-S image circles but from the mount end resemble EF lenses. Does the AF still work when you do that?

- A

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
ahsanford said:
hne said:
But if you go for lenses like the Sigma 18-35/1.8 or the 10-20/3.5 for example, they actually follow the EF mount physical specs but only cover the APS-C sensor size. Perfect for movies on the 5DmkIV I'd say.

Fascinating, so those two deliver EF-S image circles but from the mount end resemble EF lenses. Does the AF still work when you do that?

I mentioned this before in this thread but you might have missed it. There are no EF-S mount lenses except those by Canon. All third-party lenses for Canon crop bodies have EF mounts and work 100% on FF bodies, modulo some amount of vignetting. And in this case vignetting is not a problem. There are quite a few crop lenses that people find more or less usable on FF even when the full sensor is used.

Upvote 0