Mountains, Lakes and Rivers

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm no landscape photographer and it is humbling to see y'all's fine photos. A good landscape photo is hard to get.

I got this the other day. The lens is Tamron's SP 15-30. The sun is directly to the left so there is some flare. To me, portraits are far easier. There are a lot of things the good landscape shooters do that I don't know how to do.

Navajo Bridge, Arizona, US 89a. The Colorado river is below. This isn't far from the Glen Canyon Dam (up river) or the Grand Canyon (down river). This photo made me wish I had got the Canon 11-24 instead of the Tamron. Never thought I would need the 11-14 portion of that lens. The landscapes are just so big out in the desert southwest. It would have been nice to have been able to get all of the bridge structure.

The bridge on the right is the same as the one on the left. Their uses are different. The bridge on the left is for vehicle traffic and the one on the right is used strictly for pedestrian traffic.

Attachments

• Navajo Bridge Arizona.jpg
    Navajo Bridge Arizona.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
I'm no landscape photographer and it is humbling to see y'all's fine photos. A good landscape photo is hard to get.

I got this the other day. The lens is Tamron's SP 15-30. The sun is directly to the left so there is some flare. To me, portraits are far easier. There are a lot of things the good landscape shooters do that I don't know how to do.

Navajo Bridge, Arizona, US 89a. The Colorado river is below. This isn't far from the Glen Canyon Dam (up river) or the Grand Canyon (down river). This photo made me wish I had got the Canon 11-24 instead of the Tamron. Never thought I would need the 11-14 portion of that lens. The landscapes are just so big out in the desert southwest. It would have been nice to have been able to get all of the bridge structure.

The bridge on the right is the same as the one on the left. Their uses are different. The bridge on the left is for vehicle traffic and the one on the right is used strictly for pedestrian traffic.

Nice picture CanonFanBoy!
Gives a new perspective on the bridge and environment; I stood on the pedestrian bridge 3 months ago but didn't think of using this point of view... (too focused on the river and the steep banks). Well done!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I really appreciate the kind comments, guys. I'll be going back through there in another few days. It would be very nice to find a way to get the river in the shot. Maybe a very tall light stand looking down and using my intervalometer to trigger?

I usually drive straight through from Mesquite, Nevada to Irving,Texas (1,240 miles / 19 hours), but I'll be taking my time this next time. Only have a few months left here so want to get some memories. Went to Zion national Park a couple of days ago, but it is very complicated for me to get shots there with all the dark canyons and bright skies / mountains. Might have to learn to bracket and layer.

Again, the real landscape guys do some amazing things.

Upvote 0