Multiple cameras coming to the new Cinema EOS R lineup. Along with a new XC series camera. [CR2]

Aug 26, 2015
No way it will be that. F4 at best, I think. But it will probably be a variable aperture lens, the XA50 for example goes from F/2.8 to F/4.5. But that one is 15x optically, but still has a 1-inch sensor.
There is no reason why it can't be that, just like RX10 or RX10M2 with their 24-200mm equiv. f/2.8 lenses, with the newer technology and slightly reduced sensor circle (16:9 ratio full width instead of full width 3:2, maybe multi-aspect) they might be able to push it to 240mm. Of course they will raise the price, too.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I understand why a production company would prefer a video camera without IBIS so it could stay cooler and it's on a quality gimbal anyway.

But, there will be a lot of wealthy enough average-people who buy into a range of video cameras that want IBIS since they want to walk around with it. A good quiet fan can keep everything cool enough for a quality video camera. Then you can enjoy your gimbal or walk around at your leisure. And when it's cool you have the option to disable the IBIS if you want to.

I think it's great if Canon can focus on a wide $ range of video-intended units (with some stills ability), while also coming out with great stills cameras (with some video ability). That's your separation - and how you compete with Sony head on!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I understand why a production company would prefer a video camera without IBIS so it could stay cooler and it's on a quality gimbal anyway.

But, there will be a lot of wealthy enough average-people who buy into a range of video cameras that want IBIS since they want to walk around with it. A good quiet fan can keep everything cool enough for a quality video camera. Then you can enjoy your gimbal or walk around at your leisure. And when it's cool you have the option to disable the IBIS if you want to.

I think it's great if Canon can focus on a wide $ range of video-intended units (with some stills ability), while also coming out with great stills cameras (with some video ability). That's your separation - and how you compete with Sony head on!
I do not think so.

Upvote 0
This might be the case. But I also wonder if the new CFexpress A card could be used and it was mistaken for SD? Sony just barely announced it so its possible. But it definitely doesn't have the CFE speeds. Just a thought
CFe A cards are seriously expensive compared to type B cards! Sony making some extra money from these new cards

Upvote 0
I'm thinking in the same way the 5D Mk IV didn't had Canon Log at launch. They may offer as a future paid firmware upgrade?
Canon then bundled in Clog for newer cameras and upped the price by $100. An interesting option though... introduce a lower cost camera and see the reaction if people want to spend the extra for an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Not a video guy, but seen a lot of videos on the R5 lately.....is the lack of IBIS in these cameras a result of the weird artifacts it creates when panning in video? From what the reviewers were showing it can change the framing ever so slightly as it bumps the sensor around, and can be noticeable in some types of shots.
Not an expert, but it seems that internal ND filters make difficult IBIS.

Upvote 0

andrewtowecreative

Cinematographer | R5 | C300 MK iii
This doesn't even say 5% of the full picture. But if I'm going to base this off of the current EOS EF line, that R300 should be equal to C300 mark iii or 25% better. That's also a quarter of the equation... I need rumors about RF glass, accessories and third party partners for day one support.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It is not a speedbooster, it is an adapter
It was previously written as EF to RF focal length reducer, so it is the same thing, whatever it's called.
When you have space between the RF and EF and a smaller sensor, why wouldn't you utilise it, they are widely used on the crop sensor E-mount camcorders as well.

Upvote 0
It was previously written as EF to RF focal length reducer, so it is the same thing, whatever it's called.
When you have space between the RF and EF and a smaller sensor, why wouldn't you utilise it, they are widely used on the crop sensor E-mount camcorders as well.

Metabones has an EF-RF Speedbooster / Focal reducer. Its purchasable right now so I wouldn’t be surprised if Canon came out with their own and it may have better optics.

Upvote 0
They might also be looking at heat and throughput to the cards. The real question is how many people actually use RAW without using an external recorder? That number might be lower than you think.
Every RED user, a whole lot of Blackmagic users, also the whole lotta of ARRI users that asked for ARRI to have ARRIRAW from day 1 into the LF/Mini LF. External RAW is not ideal - it used to be the only way, but things changed. If you had any experience with the original C500 and the Odyssey 7Q you'd see what I'm saying about reliability.

Upvote 0
Please! oh pretty please CANON, do put in a decent passive AND/OR active cooling system into ALL your new cinema and stills cameras! AND please introduce an f/4-f/5.6 135mm to 650mm zoom lens with PREMIUM QUALITY glass for all APS-C, Full Frame and Medium Format R5, R6,R7 and R1dx/R1mf stills camera and your upcoming Cinema EOS RF-mount/PL-mount video cameras!

I have a PROPOSED HEAT SINK DESIGN which MAY work for you!

It costs about $120 US to add to a camera, but YOU (i.e. Canon!) should be able to bring that costs down to less than $60 US per camera. We end-users would be MORE THAN HAPPY to pay that $60 US if we can shoot lots of stills and videos at DCI 4K 120 fps and DCI 8k 30 fps and/or 60 fps UNHINDERED by heat problems for a full 12 hour production day, which is the NORM these days for commercials, studio work and even weddings!

See below attached image for proposed heat sink design!

Down below is an attached JEPG image that details an OPEN SOURCE hardware design under GPL-3 licence terms that is for a general purpose heat sink applicable to still cameras, video cameras, smartphones, tablets, standalone computers, embedded devices and peripherals with ALL them being of any form factor and design!

You can use multiple thermal conductor and/or thermal insulator materials which SHOULD BE MATCHED to the thermal radiation rates of the components, the heat transfer pipe/plate pathways and the desired amount of thermal storage capacity for the camera runtime required.

Again .... THIS IS AN OPEN SOURCE GPL-3 hardware design created by me on August 13, 2020 and is free for use under open source GL-3 licence terms!

OF COURSE YOU MUST DO YOUR OWN THERMAL ANALYSIS, SIMULATION AND TESTING before you make your products using this or any derived design available for sale or use as this design is a mere unfinished testing and design prototype and has NO WARRANTY and NO expressed or implied fitness-for-use made by me HarryFilm! This means Use and/or Modify it at your Own Risk and Own liability! I ain't responsible in any form or manner for what happens!

MODEL IT AND TEST IT ON A COMPUTER BEFORE YA USE IS MY WARNING TO YA !!!!

V

Attachments

• Open Source GPL-3 Heat Sink Design covering Stills-Video Cameras, Phones, Tablets, Computers i...jpg
    Open Source GPL-3 Heat Sink Design covering Stills-Video Cameras, Phones, Tablets, Computers i...jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Please! oh pretty please CANON, do put in a decent passive AND/OR active cooling system into ALL your new cinema and stills cameras! AND please introduce an f/4-f/5.6 135mm to 650mm zoom lens with PREMIUM QUALITY glass for all APS-C, Full Frame and Medium Format R5, R6,R7 and R1dx/R1mf stills camera and your upcoming Cinema EOS RF-mount/PL-mount video cameras!

I have a PROPOSED HEAT SINK DESIGN which MAY work for you!

It costs about $120 US to add to a camera, but YOU (i.e. Canon!) should be able to bring that costs down to less than $60 US per camera. We end-users would be MORE THAN HAPPY to pay that $60 US if we can shoot lots of stills and videos at DCI 4K 120 fps and DCI 8k 30 fps and/or 60 fps UNHINDERED by heat problems for a full 12 hour production day, which is the NORM these days for commercials, studio work and even weddings!

See below attached image for proposed heat sink design!

Down below is an attached JEPG image that details an OPEN SOURCE hardware design under GPL-3 licence terms that is for a general purpose heat sink applicable to still cameras, video cameras, smartphones, tablets, standalone computers, embedded devices and peripherals with ALL them being of any form factor and design!

Again .... THIS IS AN OPEN SOURCE GPL-3 hardware design created by me on August 13, 2020 and is free for use under open source GL-3 licence terms!

OF COURSE YOU MUST DO YOUR OWN THERMAL ANALYSIS, SIMULATION AND TESTING before you make your products using this or any derived design available for sale or use as this design is a mere unfinished testing and design prototype and has NO WARRANTY and NO expressed or implied fitness-for-use made by me HarryFilm! This means Use and/or Modify it at your Own Risk and Own liability! I ain't responsible in any form or manner for what happens!

V
As I looked at this design in detail, I thought only "Harry-whatever" could have come up with something like this! Then I wondered who did post it, and shazam! - there he was! You never know whether his posts are real and brilliant, or so ridiculous that you feel embarrassed over taking them seriously. I prefer to take them as entertainment - well done, Harry! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0