Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Sep 20, 2020
Agreed. I'm not a professional but I've printed and sold 8x10" bird photos from very tight crops taken from a 24mp Canon 800D. Hell I have a friend who got back into photography recently and is doing event and portrait shoots with a humble 12mp Canon 450D.

The fact that people are making livings off 20mp cameras like the 1DX and R6 must be mindblowing to some people here. It's the photo that makes the photo, not the megapixels.
In their defense, out in nature, there is often not time to change lenses and the R5 let me crop in and take shots that I would not have gotten.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The A7R III also easily survives HEAVY rain and mist, just like the Nikon D850 and Canon 5D...You may disagree, but the facts are just that simple. The a7 series is completely weather sealed and there is nothing wrong with it.

You didn't actually watch the second video link you posted. The A7R III failed that test. In the first round water got into the battery compartment. In the second round the A7R III malfunctioned.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Can we at least agree it's not a flagship and therefore shouldn't be constantly compared to another brands flagship? The glass half full here is we get another body available for those who want and need it. It's pure win.
But then it shouldn't be priced as a flagship right? If they price it at $6k, it should have flagship features.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Agreed. I'm not a professional but I've printed and sold 8x10" bird photos from very tight crops taken from a 24mp Canon 800D. Hell I have a friend who got back into photography recently and is doing event and portrait shoots with a humble 12mp Canon 450D.

The fact that people are making livings off 20mp cameras like the 1DX and R6 must be mindblowing to some people here. It's the photo that makes the photo, not the megapixels.
Like anything else in photography, equipment doesn't matter until it does. There is a reason for higher resolutions. There are use cases. And even when it's not mandatory, it is nice.

That said: 20-24mp FF is plenty for most subjects at common print sizes. Especially when it's FF with Canon's new, weaker AA filters. 1DX mark III and R6 IQ look great unless you have to push them to a view size (or crop + view size) where 20mp isn't enough. How often do people do that? More importantly: how often do professional sports photographers delivering images for online content and magazine content do that?

The R3 will sell without a doubt.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That said: 20-24mp FF is plenty for most subjects at common print sizes. Especially when it's FF with Canon's new, weaker AA filters. 1DX mark III and R6 IQ look great unless you have to push them to a view size (or crop + view size) where 20mp isn't enough. How often do people do that? More importantly: how often do professional sports photographers delivering images for online content and magazine content do that?
I print myself with a 24” printer, I use 20mp cameras. I have never really been happy with images over 20”x30” printed from them.

I recently had a client print some of my images to 30”x40” and you can put your face to them, indeed they are in a space where people have very short viewing distances and they are encouraged to look close, and the detail is stunning. I don’t know what program was used to upsize it, it looked like vector based rather than a rastor based enlargement.

But looking at those 30”x40” prints up close convinced me that I just don’t need more than I have 99.9% of the time for commercial work, even for large high quality prints.

Upvote 0
jeah, later in the video he does exactly that =)

I think this didnt happen, because the heatpipe in the camera is so bad and the plastic on the back is such a bad conductor for heat. Thats why a fan on the backside just wont help much. The problem can only be (somewhat) fixed by changing the heatpipe inside. Than you may apply some more aircooling to the back which completely eliminates the heat problem :)
Ah, that's why I couldn't find it! I wonder what the temperature on the back side would be if the surface material was heat conductive!!

For me, the "obvious" solution was a heatpipe to the tripod mount. When a specific grip is added, then the heat pipe is activated and the grip contains the extra battery and fan for heat dissipation. Canon charges $350 (8%) for BG-R10 grip and $1k (25%) for WFT-R10A so maybe $1k for a grip specifically for videographers with heat transfer... no need for portrait controls of course. Still be cheaper than A1 :)

I checked the bandwidth for the WFT-R10A and it could transfer 8k-lite (maybe 8k raw??) but seems to be only setup for image transfers and not video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't really agree with that.

It would be true if there were a long list of features and capabilities to announce, but lately Canon has been previewing those headline grabbing features several months in advance and leaving something like the resolution as the great unknown until the announcement date.

With the 1Dx III, we knew most of the features in advance except the resolution. The resolution was disappointing and dominated a lot of the release chatter.

With the R5, Canon hyped a video spec they couldn't deliver on without massive overheating and that overheating dominated a lot of the release chatter.

Now, with the R3, we know most of the features except the resolution and the underwhelming resolution (if it is 24mp) is likely to dominate a lot of the release chatter.

If I were advising Canon, I would have told them to either leak the resolution of the 1DX III and (if 24mp) R3 out early and take the hit in advance, or hold back on big features like eye-control autofocus and try to bury the resolution in with the discussion of these other features. In the case of the R5, I would have told them not to hype the 8K, but rather emphasize that it can shoot "up to 8K under certain conditions," while hyping features like IBIS and animal eye focus.
But maybe Canon don’t really care? As you say they are reading the same playbook as the 1DX III. Maybe they figure the actual intended market will be ok with whatever the resolution is and any chatter by others is just noise that keeps the Canon name a point of interest.

Lets be honest the 1 series, new, has always been an expensive niche, and a lot of people saying they want an R1 with 50-60mp are mostly talking nonsense as they are never truthfully in the market for one.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
"Flagship" is a marketing term (well, OK, it's a naval term that's been appropriated for marketing use). It conveys no special attributes or implied capabilities. If Canon prices the R3 north of $6K US, that's definitely A1 territory and comparisons are valid.

In truth, the products to compare are the ones you will consider purchasing because they have the capabilities you need.
The "flagship" is whatever Canon says it is, and right now they contend it is the 1Dx III.

Upvote 0
But maybe Canon don’t really care? As you say they are reading the same playbook as the 1DX III. Maybe they figure the actual intended market will be ok with whatever the resolution is and any chatter by others is just noise that keeps the Canon name a point of interest.
All publicity is good publicity? The R5/6 sales are higher than expected but bodies seem to be generally available now vs lenses.
Can't make everyone happy. I wonder how much the overhyped overheating issue lost Canon actual sales.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would really prefer to stay in the Canon ecosystem, but if the R3 is actually only 24mpx and the R1 is over a year away I will be eagerly waiting to see if Nikon will be able to lure me over with the Z9.
I’ve been with Nikon the last 12 years. Mirrorless is a whole new world, a world in which Nikon will either not survive or will always be behind. Wouldn’t recommend jumping to them. I’m switching to Canon. The Nikon of the DSLR age that I love is dead. The Z9 will be great, but Sony already came out with their Z9 basically last year. Canon came out with it with the R5 so to speak. The Z9 will be the only flagship Nikon comes out with in the next 5 yrs and it’s already how many yrs behind? Take a deeper look at their lenses too. Canon and Sony is the future, for me it’s Canon

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
All publicity is good publicity? The R5/6 sales are higher than expected but bodies seem to be generally available now vs lenses.
Can't make everyone happy. I wonder how much the overhyped overheating issue lost Canon actual sales.
I’m not sure it cost them many sales, it did cause them to lose face a little, which is just as bad! So I’m sure the R3 won’t have any gottchas like the R5 heating, which could be one reason there are so many R3’s out there being used in extreme situations.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
But maybe Canon don’t really care?...Maybe they figure the actual intended market will be ok with whatever the resolution is and any chatter by others is just noise...

Lets be honest the 1 series, new, has always been an expensive niche, and a lot of people saying they want an R1 with 50-60mp are mostly talking nonsense as they are never truthfully in the market for one.

I’m not sure it cost them many sales, it did cause them to lose face a little, which is just as bad!...
Generally I agree. But I have thoughts/comments.

The 1 series "market" was professional photojournalists and sports photographers. But, that market has been devastated over the last few years. I can't imagine how Canon can sell two bodies (R3 and R1) to that market. I would think that both have to appeal to a larger audience of enthusiasts in order to turn a profit. The enthusiast market does care about resolution and has the resources to buy. Perhaps Canon has decided that the R3 will be the "true" sports and photojournalism mirrorless and the R1 will be the luxury model for those who are not price sensitive -- in which case we might actually see a 50-60mp R1.

Are R5/R6 sales higher than expected? Or has Canon simply benefited from COVID Induced shortages? Certainly Canon has been able to maximize its per-camera profit thanks to COVID. In a normal cycle by now we'd be seeing price reductions from dealers. Instead Canon has been able to maximize it's direct to consumer sales, which it admitted has resulted in more per-product profit for the company. With the bizarre year we've had, I don't believe anyone, including Canon, can really know what the market will be like once things return to normal (if they ever do).

I agree that Canon definitely does not want a repeat of the overheating issue. Contrary to the saying, all publicity is not good publicity.

I'm still trying to sort out my own decision. I'd really like to ditch the 1D for a mirrorless body, mostly so I don't have to keep lugging around so much duplicative equipment and keep switching back and forth between formats. I'm willing to take a hit on the 1Dx III, for the convenience of a single mount. I've never had a problem with the 20mp of the 1Dx III, so from that perspective 24mp is not a sacrifice, but it's also not really a step forward. I never believed the 45 mp rumors, although I would have found that appealing. 30 mp seemed like a reasonable option, as it would have matched the R and the 5DIV and I appreciate the cropping room of those bodies over the 20 mp of the 1Dx.

I just looked up the shutter life of the R5 and found it's equal to the 1D series. If I'm shooting in the rain, I protect my bodies, so the 1 series weathersealing versus 5 series is not that big of a deal to me. I know many people prefer the ergonomics of the 1 series, but I'm perfectly fine with slapping a grip on the R5 when I need extra battery life and enjoying a smaller body when I'm not. I've been loving the 1.6 crop of the R5 and know that isn't really going to be a good option with the R3, but when and if Canon ever delivers on the 100-500, that gives me an extra 100 mm, which would help with outdoor sports on a 24 mp body.

Decisions. Decisions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The Nikon of the DSLR age that I love is dead.
As a DSLR user, I do hope you are wrong.
I hope that the bad luck Nikon is having in mirrorless keeps them in the DSLR game and that keeps Canon in the DSLR game.
Although the Zfc is sold out everywhere which does show Nikon is having some mirrorless success.

By the way, as a long-time Canon user, I welcome you and you will have to get used to a lot people who say they are going to switch from Canon.
It comes with the territory.
Grass greener and all that.

Upvote 0
Folks when you say things like:

The lower MP will allow for better iso, 24mp is still good for prints, 24mp has served me well for x amount of years etc. All these things may be true, but the your doing justification for the product and you are the paying consumer. This is going to be an over 5k body, it's your money expect the most out of it. If we expect more they will gives us more. Can you really say the R3 has a SD card slot and a CF slot because of the price point? Is it not PRO enough to have 2 matching card slots? Folks who buy a 5k body cant afford a CF express B cards (which was 550 for 2TB cards at BH this week daily deal!!)

Upvote 0