Mushrooms And Fungi Of Any Kind

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Don't do much mushroom shooting, but was on a family forest walk a few weeks ago and saw a wide variety of fungi. Had only my iPhone with me.

View attachment 200950 View attachment 200951

Went back a couple weeks later with my EOS R and EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS.

View attachment 200952 View attachment 200953
You were the ~last person I was expecting to see on this topic!!!
Nice photos and judging by the number of the posted species I think you can make lots of enrichment here (well - when it's the season)!
Maximilian should be very proud starting the topic (and by reason!)!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Are there survivors in the Playhouse:oops:?!

And yes- it's Agaricaceae, particularly genus Macrolepiota (judging by the double ring on the first photo). For ID on species level it moves so fast - I can't get the necessary info ;)!

Great question about survivors and the playhouse...it is about two decades old; our two daughters spent a lot of time there.

They're both now in graduate school and enjoy whatever pix I send in which their playhouse is in the background.

So they indeed survived. Me? I wish they were still here!

Pix to aid in the ID of this solitary mushroom in the backyard:

IMG_7825 - Copy.JPGIMG_7872 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
See, if you had just got there earlier you could FINALLY have inaugurated the Mushrooms in Flight thread.
SteveC: your response brings a big (huge?) smile to my face...in these troubled times this sort of thing is necessary for me and my equilibrium...very important. Thanks.

Mushrooms in flight: why didn't I think of that!

Now for the (not-so) important ;) stuff:

I see from your list of equipment that you have a mix of 'big' and 'small' Canon gear.

I've grown weary of trying to explain the huge benefits of virtually the entire 'M' ecosystem here on CR: in fact the images for the .gif you are referring to were collected with an M6 when mated to the unbelievably great EF-M 11-22 IS lens.

I'm genuinely interested in the views and opinions of you and those who read this sort of thing who have both really good Canon full-frame equipment as well as the the M-format gear.

I really enjoy using the M6 MkII and look forward to the MkIII...what say you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
SteveC: your response brings a big (huge?) smile to my face...in these troubled times this sort of thing is necessary for me and my equilibrium...very important. Thanks.

Mushrooms in flight: why didn't I think of that!

Now for the (not-so) important ;) stuff:

I see from your list of equipment that you have a mix of 'big' and 'small' Canon gear.

I've grown weary of trying to explain the huge benefits of virtually the entire 'M' ecosystem here on CR: in fact the images for the .gif you are referring to were collected with an M6 when mated to the unbelievably great EF-M 10-22 IS lens.

I'm genuinely interested in the views and opinions of you and those who read this sort of thing who have both really good Canon full-frame equipment as well as the the M-format gear.

I really enjoy using the M6 MkII and look forward to the MkIII...what say you?

I really wanted an M5 MkII actually, but the 6-II has served me well. I certainly use it more than the R5.

The R5 for me was intended to be my big breakout into full frame, but I just haven't had much occasion to use it. (I tend to be an episodic photographer, taking lots of pictures on a trip or a special occasion, then nothing for months on end.)

Many here DO understand the benefits of the M system, but there are a few haters out there. Some seem to feel that it's a threat to their hopes of an RF APSC camera.

One of the main gripes against it is a fairly limited lens selection (and I'm sympathetic to that complaint), However I don't imagine there's much more they could do in that 61mm outside diameter format. (Long zooms? No way!) Besides, one can always adapt EF lenses...that in fact is the primary reason I *won't* get the RF 100-500, because my 100-400 will adapt to the M6 and it's just about as good image-quality-wise. And 32/45 MP (depending on which system I'm on) will certainly let me crop to what a 500 mm would have given me. But my usual solution is to use the Tamron 18-200 made for the EF-M mount (some say it doesn't work on their M series cameras, but I've not had any problems with it). Yeah that's a fairly big lens for that camera, larger than Canon would like perhaps, but it's small enough to fly with. (That and the 11-22 cover most contingencies, and in fact I can stick the 11-22 on my M50.)

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks @ISv, and thanks to all of you!

I never expected so much response and participation of you. Keep posting. I really like your pictures.
Don't be so enthusiastic :))): for most of the guys the season is over! Next year it starts again! I can support you with mostly old photos - I don't have the nerve to look down instead up (for the birds). Otherwise it is +/- good season here for fungi (in all the weak but persistent rains!).

• Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Great question about survivors and the playhouse...it is about two decades old; our two daughters spent a lot of time there.

They're both now in graduate school and enjoy whatever pix I send in which their playhouse is in the background.

So they indeed survived. Me? I wish they were still here!

Pix to aid in the ID of this solitary mushroom in the backyard:

View attachment 200974View attachment 200975
After your comment "Me? I wish they were still here!" I lost my enthusiasm about the mushrooms! On other hand the fledglings are leaving on their own way and we are getting older (and older...)! What ever - nice photos! Make more of them for your daughters (and for yourself!)!
BTW I have just one daughter but the feelings are the same (if not twice more intense?!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful pictures, Maximilian. I especially like the first one for the little higher POV.
It's about the ID: the lower POV is showing better the underneath of the mushroom. Really good job if you are curious about the ID!!
Keep that way Maxi - you got better sharpness/detail (I really had a problem with some of your photos...) and now you are getting pretty reasonable with the purpose of your (mushroom) photos!

Upvote 0