New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that a new 50mm lens from Canon will be announced alongside a “high end” mirrorless camera, which like means a Canon full frame mirrorless camera.  We weren’t told when we could expect such an announcement.
A few more people have told us that Canon has an EF mount mirrorless camera on the horizon and a new 50mm f/1.4 would fit nicely with such a release. As it would be smaller and lightweight and would suit both DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.
It was also mentioned that a new EF 50mm f/1.2L could be announced at the same time, as there are working prototypes out there.
A new Canon 50mm lens is definitely some kind of rumors unicorn and until we see one with our own eyes, all rumors on the topic will be rated [CR1]

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not necessarily reading this as a mirrorless only must. Canon has shown a penchant for putting out an EF-M product to then roll out an EF-S equivalent:

EF-M 22mm pancake --> EF-S 24mm pancake
EF-M illuminated macro --> similar for EF-S

I could see a mirrorless only 50 f/1.4 coming out and then an EF version to follow.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
There's also the possibility that Canon execs now have a far clearer read of the market, it's expectations, etc. after the Nikon Z reveal.

It's also possible that some of the information divulged at the Nikon launch caught Canon by surprise and it now being out there is a threat to Canon's plans.

That's when you leak a story about 'oh, we'll have that too' to cool the heels of the faithful.

This lens pipeline announcement surprised me, personally, in that it clearly is not prioritizing tiny f/2.8 primes and f/4 zooms. Nikon -- though perhaps not at a breakneck pace -- clearly intends to rebuild Nikon's staple pro glass in the Z mount, and soon.

Why do I bring this up? Note that not one but three 50mm-ish primes are on the docket:

Nikon_Z_Lens_Roadmap.png

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
There's also the possibility that Canon execs now have a far clearer read of the market, it's expectations, etc. after the Nikon Z reveal.

It's also possible that some of the information divulged at the Nikon launch caught Canon by surprise and it now being out there is a threat to Canon's plans.

That's when you leak a story about 'oh, we'll have that too' to cool the heels of the faithful.

This lens pipeline announcement surprised me, personally, in that it clearly is not prioritizing tiny f/2.8 primes and f/4 zooms. Nikon -- though perhaps not at a breakneck pace -- clearly intends to rebuild Nikon's staple pro glass in the Z mount, and soon.

Why do I bring this up? Note that not one but three 50mm-ish primes are on the docket:

Nikon_Z_Lens_Roadmap.png

- A

Totally agree with this- Canon is notoriously cautious when they make moves and now that they know what Nikon is doing, will adjust their plans and respond. Old habits die hard.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Totally agree with this- Canon is notoriously cautious when they make moves and now that they know what Nikon is doing, will adjust their plans and respond. Old habits die hard.

...or someone who lives online for this stuff thinks we'd believe that and fed that rumor to CR Guy. :unsure:

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Options for getting the modern 50 prime I want, in order of what is practical to what is less practical:

1) Go to store/Amazon/etc., walk in and pay good money for a first-party Canon lens that does what I need. (This lens does not exist.)
2) Roll the dice on Sigma, Tamron, etc. (Failure pile in a sadness bowl. Pass.)
3) Continue to wait for #1 to happen.
4) Contemplate a 50L refurb pickup as an interim move to serve me until #1 happens.
5) Start to think about an EOS M pickup because at least it will (soon) get a 50 prime equivalent that might be good.
6) Start to think about buying a competitive ILC, fixed lens rig or the new Canon FF mirrorless solely to buy one lens for it -- a proper 50 prime that those systems offer.

Ridiculous.

- A

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0