New Gear Resolutions 2016

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
I bought a lot in 2015, but there are a few things I'd like to get in 2016 to finish my conversion to FF.

1. 16-35 F??? - waiting to see if a new f2.8 will be announced this year.

2. 300 F2.8 used - I was prepped to buy a used 300 f2.8 IS last year, but at the last moment I opted to go for a 6D + 100-400mk II. There are days I'd much rather have the 300 + my 1.4MkIII.

3. 24-70 f2.8 - not sure which I would use more, this lens or the 16-35. I wanted to start with the WA to see if I would miss the 35-70 range since I have a 50 1.4. If I get this lens, I would most likely sell my 24-105 to get it.

This isn't gear, but my photography growth resolution is to get my work in at least two restaurants or banquet rooms this year. I also want to get a bird photo into the Wild Delight bird calendar for 2017.

Last, I also need to trim down my kit.

Upvote 0
tcmatthews said:
mackguyver said:
This year's resolution - be happy with the gear I have. Save more money. Avoid reading about the 1DX II and the new 5D. Shoot a whole lot more than last year now that my health is finally taken a turn for the better - last year was miserable - I only made it outdoors 9 times to shoot the whole year.

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. When creating this thread I though about how long it had been since the last time I had read a post by you. I hoped you were feeling ok. So it is very good to see you here. And best wishes I hope you can get out and make the most of your resolution.

+1 MacGyver, good to see you back on the CR forum and that you are feeling better!

Upvote 0
I already have too much gear ... so my resolutions are really (1) one item in, one item out (at least), goes for lenses and bodies, and (2) buy less, but buy good.

That said, the next purchase for me will be the Canon 35mm 1.4L II. No rush for this, I'm doing more than OK with the Sigma for now, so I'll wait for the price of the Canon to drop a bit if possible (it hasn't budged at all in my country since it became available).

I'm also still looking for an improved 85mm ... but here I'm waiting for more options. So Canon, Sigma, Tamron, anyone coming up with something convincing in that range, I'm ready for you.

Finally I'll be taking a long hard look at the 5D IV when/if it comes this year. I don't really feel limited by my current bodies in any way, so this would be pure GAS, but if Canon makes it too tempting ... (here's hoping).

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
tcmatthews said:
mackguyver said:
This year's resolution - be happy with the gear I have. Save more money. Avoid reading about the 1DX II and the new 5D. Shoot a whole lot more than last year now that my health is finally taken a turn for the better - last year was miserable - I only made it outdoors 9 times to shoot the whole year.

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. When creating this thread I though about how long it had been since the last time I had read a post by you. I hoped you were feeling ok. So it is very good to see you here. And best wishes I hope you can get out and make the most of your resolution.

+1 MacGyver, good to see you back on the CR forum and that you are feeling better!
Thanks for the message and good to see you again as well.

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
mine is much more humdrum

Go FF.

if that's a 6D, fine, but as I won't top £1000 until Christmas I'm keeping up interest in the possibilty of the 6DII.. I'll have to see what price it comes in at and how soon it turns up grey.

well, I'm there already.. I didn't expect that when I posted the above. 6D bought.
and a 50STM.

next:

probably lightroom
then a wireless Flash, probably a Yongnuo YN600 or similar

Upvote 0

Sportsgal501

Got hit in the face by a skateboard got the shot!
No new gear unless I trade up the Canon SL1 | Canon G16 for that new Canon SL2.
Squeeze more class time in this year, was very busy last and missed more classes than I wanted.

Hoping to get some photographs|photo story in a gallery this Spring that I've been working on since November.

Upvote 0
I have more than I need and more than my skills deserve, but you only live once ... ::)

Even though the 1DXII seems to be a minor upgrade from the 1DX, I expect to get one. Full AF at f8 will be very useful. If AF tracking also improves, I'll be happy. I'll keep my 1DX as a number 2 body.

I also expect to get a 5DIV as a walk around and travel body. I will keep the 5DSR, but that is now primarily used with the Zeiss glass, with a precision matte focusing screen, so it is less useful for the slower lenses.

Lenses? I do't need any, but if the 600 f4DO comes or an upgrade to one of the key L-primes (24, 50, 85, 135), I suppose my weak character will show its qualities again ...

I would have loved to buy the Zeiss Otus 28/1.4, but I think it is simply too big and heavy.

I will travel more (not business), including Middle East, Iceland, South Africa and Botswana and consentrate more on shooting than buying though.

Upvote 0