New Sigma Lenses Coming Today

Re: New Sigma Lenses Coming Shortly? [CR1]

privatebydesign said:
unfocused said:
privatebydesign said:
Canon doesn't care what Sigma sell for, they price their lenses where they need and go about their business. Sigma are no competition what so ever in a tiny third party lens market.

That implies that Canon is stupid, non-competitive and not innovative. I don't believe that's the case. The quality gap between OEM lenses and third parties has shrunk significantly in the past few years. Innovations like docking stations make it much harder for Canon and Nikon to cripple third party lenses (plus that implies a cavalier attitude toward their own customers that would be self-destructive.) supplemental lenses are always a tiny niche market (most cameras sold will never have a second, much less a third or fourth lens mounted on them) But with the collapse of the point and shoot market, all manufacturers are facing stiffer competition for the lucrative enthusiast market and Canon Would be foolish to cede any portion of that market. I don't think they are foolish.

No it doesn't, it might have a slight impact where Canon devote a small part of their R&D, but in a comparatively small market they know better than anybody how many they sell and how much it costs to make any item. If they see a market they will make a lens for it, if they don't they won't.

I know everybody pulls car analogies to pieces but think of it like this. Ford make 'off road' SUV's, so do Mercedes, Mercedes don't care what Ford sell their SUV's for, they might have a passing interest, but it doesn't form a solid reason for them to change what they do or the prices they charge. Mercedes also don't see a lucrative for them market in six wheel drive SUV's and pickups but they are happy to help AMG make them, and even though those 6x6's sell secondhand for nearly twice the new price Mercedes still don't see it as a money making opportunity. In making those specific business choices Mercedes are not stupid, non-competitive or lack innovation. They are smart business people who don't compete in the Ford market or the AMG market for reasons they decide are best for them.

The market price of the lens is set based on how much they can sell them for. If there is a legitimate competitor then they may have to reduce their price. Companies have to adapt to changing markets over time or they become extinct. This plays out over and over again. If the Sigma is a legitimate threat to Canon they will address the issue. The only lens I really care about is the 500 f4, which may be such a limited market Canon just yawns.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

reef58 said:
privatebydesign said:
unfocused said:
privatebydesign said:
Canon doesn't care what Sigma sell for, they price their lenses where they need and go about their business. Sigma are no competition what so ever in a tiny third party lens market.

That implies that Canon is stupid, non-competitive and not innovative. I don't believe that's the case. The quality gap between OEM lenses and third parties has shrunk significantly in the past few years. Innovations like docking stations make it much harder for Canon and Nikon to cripple third party lenses (plus that implies a cavalier attitude toward their own customers that would be self-destructive.) supplemental lenses are always a tiny niche market (most cameras sold will never have a second, much less a third or fourth lens mounted on them) But with the collapse of the point and shoot market, all manufacturers are facing stiffer competition for the lucrative enthusiast market and Canon Would be foolish to cede any portion of that market. I don't think they are foolish.

No it doesn't, it might have a slight impact where Canon devote a small part of their R&D, but in a comparatively small market they know better than anybody how many they sell and how much it costs to make any item. If they see a market they will make a lens for it, if they don't they won't.

I know everybody pulls car analogies to pieces but think of it like this. Ford make 'off road' SUV's, so do Mercedes, Mercedes don't care what Ford sell their SUV's for, they might have a passing interest, but it doesn't form a solid reason for them to change what they do or the prices they charge. Mercedes also don't see a lucrative for them market in six wheel drive SUV's and pickups but they are happy to help AMG make them, and even though those 6x6's sell secondhand for nearly twice the new price Mercedes still don't see it as a money making opportunity. In making those specific business choices Mercedes are not stupid, non-competitive or lack innovation. They are smart business people who don't compete in the Ford market or the AMG market for reasons they decide are best for them.

The market price of the lens is set based on how much they can sell them for. If there is a legitimate competitor then they may have to reduce their price. Companies have to adapt to changing markets over time or they become extinct. This plays out over and over again. If the Sigma is a legitimate threat to Canon they will address the issue. The only lens I really care about is the 500 f4, which may be such a limited market Canon just yawns.

My point was Sigma is to Canon as Ford is to Mercedes.

Mercedes do not care how many vehicles Ford sell or how much they charge for them, they, and the market, decide Mercedes are in a different market segment despite selling essentially the same product. All 500mm f4 IS's are not equal, even when they are the same on paper.....

All Canon need to do to continue selling their 500mm f4 IS at the price they set is to keep making it as they do, Sigma 500mm f4 sales will largely compete with secondhand Canon 500mm f4 sales not new ones.

Yes Canon have to adapt in certain segments, they are taking the mirror less segment more seriously now they want to, but anybody that thinks Canon are going to lower the cost of the 500mm f4 IS MkII before they projected to in it's life cycle because Sigma come out with a 500mm f4 is smoking crack.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ryananthony said:
LordofTackle said:
Ryananthony said:
AlmostDecent said:
The MSRPs were already announced, no?

85 f/1.4 Art - $1199 (that seems quite pricey)

12-24 f/4 - $1599

500 f/4 - $5999

Link? I imagine USD. I would be happy if those were CDN pricing. Seems too pricy too me.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30875.0#new
;)

Of course I missed that. Thanks! ;D

You are welcome :)

both the 12-14 and the 500/4 are actually cheaper than I expected...
but let's wait for the prizes in germany :/

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
reef58 said:
privatebydesign said:
unfocused said:
privatebydesign said:

My point was Sigma is to Canon as Ford is to Mercedes.

Mercedes do not care how many vehicles Ford sell or how much they charge for them, they, and the market, decide Mercedes are in a different market segment despite selling essentially the same product. All 500mm f4 IS's are not equal, even when they are the same on paper.....

All Canon need to do to continue selling their 500mm f4 IS at the price they set is to keep making it as they do, Sigma 500mm f4 sales will largely compete with secondhand Canon 500mm f4 sales not new ones.

Yes Canon have to adapt in certain segments, they are taking the mirror less segment more seriously now they want to, but anybody that thinks Canon are going to lower the cost of the 500mm f4 IS MkII before they projected to in it's life cycle because Sigma come out with a 500mm f4 is smoking crack.

Maybe you did not get my point. They will lower the price if the Sigma lens is good enough to eat into their sales. I don't know if it will be that good or not. It appears Sigma is proud at $5999, so it should be expected to be a good performer. What if it is better than the Canon version in every way (doubtful)? Do you really think Canon sits idle? That being said I think Canon has enough cache over the 3rd party lens manufacturers at this point to go status quo, however some of the newer lenses have been well received. As many folks have pointed out Canon's lens lineup is a big factor in body choice. If that is nullified certainly not good news. All speculation at this point.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
GuyF said:
I recently sold my 85mm f1.4 partly due to the inconsistant focusing and partly due to the (at the time) impending announcement of the Art replacement. In the meantime I've been using Canon's 70-200mm f2.8 IS II for portraits and love it so don't know if I'll get the new Art.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_85_14/features/

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_85_14/gallery/

Pretty sad little collection of sample images at that gallery link, but going by that one portrait image, the 85A certainly seems to have better control of LoCA than the 85L, which is probably my biggest bugbear with the 85L.

Upvote 0