Nikon announces the Z 28-400mm F4-8 VR

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY (March 27, 2024) Today Nikon Inc. announced the release of the NIKKOR Z 28-400mm f/4-8 VR, a supremely versatile high-power super-zoom lens for Nikon Z series full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras. This latest addition to the expanding line of NIKKOR Z lenses offers the highest zoom ratio in its class*1, making it a must-have for travel,

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon's MTF sound very optimistic...
I wonder which Pink Colored Glasses program they've been using to "calculate" them.
These are theoretical, but unlike Sigma who actually measures them as well, or Canon, they don't include diffraction effects in their calculations. You can knock 5-10% or more off them for narrower apertures.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Oh my, I hope it doesn’t require/force distortion correction at the wide end, or else it might as well be one of those horrible Canon RF lenses!
Such "rubber" zoom lenses never come w/o strong distortion, either on short or long focal lengths (most probably at the wide angle end). I think all manufacturers of such extreme wide angle to tele zooms rely on a heavy-sided in-camera correction of all sorts of distortion, vignetting, and aberrations to keep weight, size, and price within tolerable limits. Personally, I therefore prefer dedicated tele or wide angle zooms (if not primes anyway) with much more properly designed optics. Even Canon's new long RF 200-800 mm zoom was surely much easier to design with quite well-corrected optical aberrations - vignetting seems to be a bit pronounced but that's not a real issue.

Btw I still wait for my RF 200-800... :( Germany and/or Europe seems to be much less attractive for Japanese camera makers than it still was a decade ago, so we are the last ones to get new lenses - okay, people living in Tierra del Fuego may have to be even more patient, I guess.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Such "rubber" zoom lenses never come w/o strong distortion, either on short or long focal lengths (most probably at the wide angle end). I think all manufacturers of such extreme wide angle to tele zooms rely on a heavy-sided in-camera correction of all sorts of distortion, vignetting, and aberrations to keep weight, size, and price within tolerable limits.
Yet again I forgot the [sarcasm] tags on my post.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Such "rubber" zoom lenses never come w/o strong distortion, either on short or long focal lengths (most probably at the wide angle end). I think all manufacturers of such extreme wide angle to tele zooms rely on a heavy-sided in-camera correction of all sorts of distortion, vignetting, and aberrations to keep weight, size, and price within tolerable limits. Personally, I therefore prefer dedicated tele or wide angle zooms (if not primes anyway) with much more properly designed optics. Even Canon's new long RF 200-800 mm zoom was surely much easier to design with quite well-corrected optical aberrations - vignetting seems to be a bit pronounced but that's not a real issue.

Btw I still wait for my RF 200-800... :( Germany and/or Europe seems to be much less attractive for Japanese camera makers than it still was a decade ago, so we are the last ones to get new lenses - okay, people living in Tierra del Fuego may have to be even more patient, I guess.
Isn't the idea to make one lens so you never need to change it? I can understand people who might want this option, but lately, I'm thinking about The Three-Body Problem, one of those harnesses to hold two and one holster on the hip...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Nikon's MTF sound very optimistic...
I wonder which Pink Colored Glasses program they've been using to "calculate" them.
Given Nikon's quality issues harsh reality will make such MTF data very theoretical anyway:

This was not a downward outlier at the beginning of the production of that particular 300 mm lens. More than ten years ago, a thorough and rare lab test of superteles in a German photozine showed that Nikon teles from 300 to 500 mm suffered from decentered lenses. Consequently my wife, a Nikonian, decided to buy a Sigma 500 mm f/4.5 because that lens outperformed optically Nikon's actual 500 mm f/4 back then.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Isn't the idea to make one lens so you never need to change it? I can understand people who might want this option, but lately, I'm thinking about The Three-Body Problem, one of those harnesses to hold two and one holster on the hip...
Well, many users of ILC cameras just have only one zoom lens attached, that was typical back in the days of film SLRs. That's very okay, but in fact a fixed lens (bridge) camera would do the same job then. I sometimes use my EF 24-105mm STM when I want a lighter but versatile gear or no disturbing AF motor noise when I shoot video with an external mike. But then it's clear that the wide angle images need some in-camera correction or post-processing - at least when straight lines are part of the composition.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Given Nikon's quality issues harsh reality will make such MTF data very theoretical anyway:

This was not a downward outlier at the beginning of the production of that particular 300 mm lens. More than ten years ago, a thorough and rare lab test of superteles in a German photozine showed that Nikon teles from 300 to 500 mm suffered from decentered lenses. Consequently my wife, a Nikonian, decided to buy a Sigma 500 mm f/4.5 because that lens outperformed optically Nikon's actual 500 mm f/4 back then.
While I can't dispute your point and it's source can't be ignored, it is so long ago. Let's hope they've improved by now....

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
While I can't dispute your point and it's source can't be ignored, it is so long ago. Let's hope they've improved by now....
We had so many issues with our Nikon gear, with several digital cameras, lenses from different years, that I can only comment on Nikon's products in a sarcastic way, in particular as an ex-Nikon user. Really, my Canon gear proved to be so much more reliable in particular tough and raw environments, when shooting wildlife, that this can't be just lucky incidence. I would wish Nikon that they get their quality issues better controlled, but I am skeptical. There is a solid reason why Canon products are often more expensive that Nikon's comparable products since about 10-15 years, before it was the opposite. Canon still makes at least all prosumer and pro cameras and lenses in Japan, not in Thailand.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Well, many users of ILC cameras just have only one zoom lens attached, that was typical back in the days of film SLRs. That's very okay, but in fact a fixed lens (bridge) camera would do the same job then. I sometimes use my EF 24-105mm STM when I want a lighter but versatile gear or no disturbing AF motor noise when I shoot video with an external mike. But then it's clear that the wide angle images need some in-camera correction or post-processing - at least when straight lines are part of the composition.
Getting a bit off topic: On my pc, the distortion correction is much faster than denoising for photos (I almost never make a video). Is it the same in your experience for both photos and videos?

Upvote 0