Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p> </p>
<p>Detailed specifications have leaked out ahead of today’s announcement for Nikon’s flagship D5 DSLR. What I find interesting is bringing out two different versions of the camera depending on which media you want to capture your images and videos to.</p>
<p>Specifications broken down by <a href="http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/05/nikon-d5-detailed-specifications-cf-and-xqd-versions-coinfirmed.aspx/#more-100830" target="_blank">Nikon Rumors</a>/<a href="http://digicame-info.com/2016/01/d5-8.html" target="_blank">Digicame-Info</a>:</p>
<ul>
<li>Two D5 body types: D5 XQD-type and D5 CF-type</li>
<li>New 20.82 MP CMOS sensor</li>
<li>EXPEED 5</li>
<li>4k video</li>
<li>153 AF points, 99-point cross sensor, F8 corresponding 15 points</li>
<li>Continuous shooting (continuous shooting up to 200 frames in 14bit lossless compression RAW): 12 fps in the AF / AE tracking</li>
<li>Continuous shooting speed at the time of the mirror up to 14 fps (AE / AF fixed)</li>
<li>Highest ISO: 102,400</li>
<li>Extended sensitivity Hi5: ISO 3,280,000</li>
<li>3.2-inch 2.36 million dots LCD touchscreen</li>
<li>Memory: card slots: D5 (XQD-Type) is double XQD, D5 (CF-Type): double CF</li>
<li>Shutter speed: 30 seconds to 1/8,000 sec</li>
<li>Finder coverage: 100% (FX), magnification: 0.72x</li>
<li>SuperSpeed ​​USB (USB3.0 Micro-B terminal)</li>
<li>Battery: EN-EL18a</li>
<li>Weight (battery and media included) D5 (XQD-Type): 1405g. D5 (CF-Type): 1415g</li>
<li>Shipping starts in March, 2016</li>
</ul>
<p> </p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Re: Nikon D5 Specifications, Announcement Tonight

pedro said:
I just wonder how their 3.280.000 max ISO extension will look like...if this setting is usable in any form...Canon has quite a potato to chew on...

https://twitter.com/JZdziarski/status/684417107946258432

Upvote 0

Jopa said:
The AF specs are quite impressive, but hope Canon will match :)

The 1Dx AF points are already superior, so there's no need to "match" other than adding more. More inferior points doesn't make the AF system better. The 1Dx II is going to blow the D5 out of the water.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Canon Rumors said:
I don't understand the point of AF points that aren't crosstype on a professional body. Who's going to have those 54 points turned on?

Maybe lots of people if all the cross-type points are in the middle, with only non-crosses at the periphery.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
I don't understand the point of AF points that aren't crosstype on a professional body. Who's going to have those 54 points turned on?

Maybe lots of people if all the cross-type points are in the middle, with only non-crosses at the periphery.

Perhaps, but people would be quite annoyed by that.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

For those who have/use a 1Dx, does it have multiple f8 autofocus points? If I read the specs correctly, the Nikon will have 15 f8 autofocus points. Depending on where they are in the frame, that would certainly be a welcome addition to the 5D and 7D lines and make using the 100-400 with a 1.4 converter much better.

Waiting to see the final specs also as Nikon Rumors originally said a touch screen, but I see that has been dropped from the latest specs. It's about time Canon and Nikon add touch screens to their XD line.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Canon Rumors said:
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:

Perhaps, but people would be quite annoyed by that.

I'd guess about as annoyed as people are with Nikon's current 51-pt AF on many cameras including the D4s, with the. 15 cross-type points in the middle.

img_34.png

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

unfocused said:
For those who have/use a 1Dx, does it have multiple f8 autofocus points? If I read the specs correctly, the Nikon will have 15 f8 autofocus points.

Definitely an improvement over the D4s / D810 (which already offer more f/8 points than Canon).

D4-D800focusModule.JPG

The points active at f/6.3 and f/7.1 are relevant because Nikon has a 1.7x TC.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

I'm wondering if the memory card option is due to a potentially large buyer like Reuters demanding a camera that works with their multi million dollar stock of cards and readers.

The cost for a large organization to switch card types to something non standard that none else is using could be substantial.

Their may also be a big customer who wants the QXD cards, possibly broadcast folks who want 4K?

Some broadcasters are waiting for 8K before spending a billion dollars on switching.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Canon Rumors said:
pedro said:
I just wonder how their 3.280.000 max ISO extension will look like...if this setting is usable in any form...Canon has quite a potato to chew on...

https://twitter.com/JZdziarski/status/684417107946258432

thanks, so better get very clean ISO 51 k for stills and you are done... 8)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Viper28 said:
On most prosumer and pro cameras the card slots are a seperately serviceable unit on the main board. Could be that if Nikon make both types of modules you could go for CF now and service update to QXD if you need to in the future?

The two types require totally different internal busses, and are physically different. A main board could have provisions for both, with just the card slot and external case or adapter required to switch. It might be cheaper to just sell / buy a different camera than pay Nikon $1500 to modify it,

Upvote 0

pedro said:
In case, the D5 will be announced tonight, will Canon announce the 1DxII this week as well?

Probably not....although I hope it is soon....Canon will sit back and laugh at the D5 specs and let people get excited before they drop the 1DXII bomb that will hopefully dominate the D5. Other than the AF points the rest of the D5 seems to be like the 1DX....well maybe high-ISO also...

Upvote 0