Nikon D5 Specifications, Announcement Today

Re: Nikon D5 Specifications, Announcement Tonight

This is, what dpreview writes actually:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2370616853/nikon-fills-in-the-blanks-on-professional-grade-d5-dslr

"The upgrade to the AF system is significant: combined with Nikon's industry leading object tracking ('3D tracking'), we'd expect phenomenal ability of this camera to follow your subject and keep it in focus no matter where it moves to within the frame. Whether you're shooting sports, weddings, or candid portraiture, the higher density of points should provide higher precision in tracking your subjects with pinpoint accuracy, an area Nikon already leads the industry in. More cross-type points means better AF performance in tough lighting situations with challenging subjects, such as in low light or backlit scenarios. Freelance sports photographer Matthias Hangst claims that 'the D5 has the best AF system. Tracking of erratic moves is brilliant.' Nikon hasn't made any statements about low light limits of the AF system, or increases in precision with faster lenses (a la Canon), though."

For me, the new D500 will be more interesting. If Canon comptetes....

Upvote 0

Reading dpreview's article confirms my supposition that they don't even understand the difference between precision and accuracy. Nikon doesn't even have dual cross type AF sensors, not even in their newest model, the D5. This model is at best, a slightly inferior 1Dx, at least, from the specification list. Of course we don't know how it actually performs in the field yet.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Reading the specs posted, it appears pretty slick. Although as someone already questioned, "Just how good are all these 153 AF points/99 Cross Type?" The 200 shot RAW buffer is pretty crazy. Hats to them on that one I suppose.

I think the 1DX2 gets announced now VERY VERY soon (next few weeks) and once head-to-head in the field, the Canon is going to steal that little fat kid's lunch money every day.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

LOLOLOL ;D ;D :eek: ::) :p :p

Canon Rumors said:
pedro said:
I just wonder how their 3.280.000 max ISO extension will look like...if this setting is usable in any form...Canon has quite a potato to chew on...

https://twitter.com/JZdziarski/status/684417107946258432

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012

PureClassA said:
Reading the specs posted, it appears pretty slick. Although as someone already questioned, "Just how good are all these 153 AF points/99 Cross Type?" The 200 shot RAW buffer is pretty crazy. Hats to them on that one I suppose.

I think the 1DX2 gets announced now VERY VERY soon (next few weeks) and once head-to-head in the field, the Canon is going to steal that little fat kid's lunch money every day.

200 sounds great. Since memory price keeps dropping every year, if you keep sensor size same(ish) at 21M, it's good idea to add enough memory to improve buffer. I would guess today they get double the buffer for same price as the previous gen launch price.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Meanwhile, in a story about the surprise 7D2-killer they just announced...

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/nikons-reveals-the-d500-dslr/

...happens to have a D5 tell:

"The D500 has a 100-51,200 ISO range that's expandable o a ridiculous 50-1,640,000 ISO equivalent, and like the D5, also sports a brand new tiltable touchscreen."

Their flagship sports rig has a tilt-screen? Is this confirmed?

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Impressive looking sucker for Nikon on paper for sure.

ahsanford said:
Meanwhile, in a story about the surprise 7D2-killer they just announced...

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/nikons-reveals-the-d500-dslr/

...happens to have a D5 tell:

"The D500 has a 100-51,200 ISO range that's expandable o a ridiculous 50-1,640,000 ISO equivalent, and like the D5, also sports a brand new tiltable touchscreen."

Their flagship sports rig has a tilt-screen? Is this confirmed?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Drilling down into the D500 info site: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/

You can review the D500 PDF here:
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

Which has further D5 tells -- this is a gold mine:

• D500 has tilt + touch screen, but the D5 is only a touch screen. D5 does not have a tilt screen.
  • For stills, the D500 gets antiflicker technology, but the D5 doesn't. Ouch.
  • For video, both have anti-flicker technology.
  • -4 EV center AF point and -3 EV for the rest (for both the D5 and D500)
  • 200 shot raw buffer for both the D5 (@ 12 fps) and the D500 (@10 fps)
  • The D5 can shoot 4k for 3 minutes (the D500 can for 29:59)
  • D5 ISO limits: "ISO 100 to 102400, expandable to Lo 1 (ISO 50 equivalent) and Hi 5 (ISO 3280000 equivalent)"

Huge leak from the Nikon camp, direct first-party marketing materials no less. That's unusual for them.

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

I'm kinda getting a kick outta skimming over some of the remarks on the Sony Alpha Rumors facebook post on the D5. "Nikon is so stupid. The DSLR is dead. Who is gonna buy this stupid thing??" is my cliff notes version. I can't wait to see what level of moron is gonna troll the DX2.

Upvote 0

I knew the 153 AF points was too good to be true....from the press release only 55 (35 x-type) are user selectable. The rest I would assume are there to track in some of the Auto AF modes.

"Of these 153 points, 55 AF points/35 cross-type points are selectable by photographers to quickly and easily frame any shot. The system is configurable in 153, 72 and 25-point coverage when used with Continuous AF, allowing for stellar AF tracking performance of even the most rapidly moving subjects throughout the frame."

I haven't seen a picture of the AF grid but I wonder if it will only show the 55 points....that also probably confirms that the actual AF spread won't be that much greater than the D4s.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

arbitrage said:
I knew the 153 AF points was too good to be true....from the press release only 55 (35 x-type) are user selectable. The rest I would assume are there to track in some of the Auto AF modes.

"Of these 153 points, 55 AF points/35 cross-type points are selectable by photographers to quickly and easily frame any shot. The system is configurable in 153, 72 and 25-point coverage when used with Continuous AF, allowing for stellar AF tracking performance of even the most rapidly moving subjects throughout the frame."

I haven't seen a picture of the AF grid but I wonder if it will only show the 55 points....that also probably confirms that the actual AF spread won't be that much greater than the D4s.
If only 35 x-type points are selectable.. :eek: wtf?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

17 mil eye point on a 0.72 magnification viewfinder ?? Jeez ! With so many people wearing glasses I'm amazed they've come out with this spec. For refererence the 5DIII is 21 mil with 0.71 magnification and the 1Dx 20 with a 0.76 magnification.

Upvote 0
Here is the AF layout from the D500...should be identical on the D5 except for a lot more empty room around them from the FF sensor....

This is from the D500 PDF: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 1.42.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 1.42.35 PM.png
    329.8 KB · Views: 1,047
Upvote 0

arbitrage said:

This seems like it's not much different in practice from Canon having the AF points all pretty much overlapping each other a bit, and offering a spot mode to narrow them down to just the marked area. Marketing people gone wild

Upvote 0