Nikon D5 Specifications, Announcement Today

xps said:
tr573 said:
arbitrage said:
I knew the 153 AF points was too good to be true....from the press release only 55 (35 x-type) are user selectable. The rest I would assume are there to track in some of the Auto AF modes.

"Of these 153 points, 55 AF points/35 cross-type points are selectable by photographers to quickly and easily frame any shot. The system is configurable in 153, 72 and 25-point coverage when used with Continuous AF, allowing for stellar AF tracking performance of even the most rapidly moving subjects throughout the frame."

I haven't seen a picture of the AF grid but I wonder if it will only show the 55 points....that also probably confirms that the actual AF spread won't be that much greater than the D4s.

This seems like it's not much different in practice from Canon having the AF points all pretty much overlapping each other a bit, and offering a spot mode to narrow them down to just the marked area. Marketing people gone wild

15 (5 cross) Sensors at f8 is an fine plus, if you use an converter

I'm curious how many of those are actually real selectable points(the pdf they published doesn't say) - but surely it will be more than the 1 Canon gives you, so yeah it's a nice bonus.

Upvote 0
tr573 said:
xps said:
tr573 said:
arbitrage said:
I knew the 153 AF points was too good to be true....from the press release only 55 (35 x-type) are user selectable. The rest I would assume are there to track in some of the Auto AF modes.

"Of these 153 points, 55 AF points/35 cross-type points are selectable by photographers to quickly and easily frame any shot. The system is configurable in 153, 72 and 25-point coverage when used with Continuous AF, allowing for stellar AF tracking performance of even the most rapidly moving subjects throughout the frame."

I haven't seen a picture of the AF grid but I wonder if it will only show the 55 points....that also probably confirms that the actual AF spread won't be that much greater than the D4s.

This seems like it's not much different in practice from Canon having the AF points all pretty much overlapping each other a bit, and offering a spot mode to narrow them down to just the marked area. Marketing people gone wild

15 (5 cross) Sensors at f8 is an fine plus, if you use an converter

I'm curious how many of those are actually real selectable points(the pdf they published doesn't say) - but surely it will be more than the 1 Canon gives you, so yeah it's a nice bonus.

Find it here: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf
(taken from an posting from Mr. Arbitrage below)

"Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, fine-tuning,
and 153 focus points (including 99 cross sensors and 15 sensors that support f/8),
of which 55 (35 cross sensors and 9 f/8 sensors) are available for selection"

Upvote 0
xps said:
Find it here: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/d500/common/pdf/technology-digest.pdf

and 153 focus points (including 99 cross sensors and 15 sensors that support f/8),

I meant how many are selectable @ F/8, apologies. The doc says "15, 5 cross" for F/8 lenses, but doesn't specify how many are selectable - probably at least 5 which is still better than 1 :)

Upvote 0
tr573 said:
xps said:

I meant how many are selectable @ F/8, apologies. The doc says "15, 5 cross" for F/8 lenses, but doesn't specify how many are selectable - probably at least 5 which is still better than 1 :)

9 (the text says 9)

Upvote 0
xps said:
tr573 said:
xps said:

9 (the text says 9)

Thanks, found it now. Need to do more reading closely. That is pretty awesome - especially if it's laid out like a cross (center + 2 out in each direction) Gives you a lot more options with a TC attached

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
wsmith96 said:
These spec's should help bring the competition from Canon. Their D500 had nice specs too. Do you think that the 7D Mk II may be upgraded early?

-w

No chance. Canon hates the announcements of higher end rigs stealing thunder from other releases. They want each rig to get an announcement, marketing materials push, pre-order period, release and reviews before they threaten sales with another option.

Think of the all the rigs we already know are coming...

1DX II
5D4 + possible video-centric 5D rig
6D2
(possibly the 80D)

...and you can imagine some marketeer at Canon needing to change his shorts, exclaiming something akin to "Crap, this will juggle the whole pipeline" in Japanese.

- A

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
no exclamations of DR improvements???

This and the D500 announcement feels a lot more software engineering than sensor break troughs.

Given the massive pushes and minor pulls - there might be some meaningful DR improvement.

200 frames at 12 fps = 16+ seconds..... interesting

What a fun time to be taking pics.

Upvote 0
For me, the only real surprise from Nikon was the D500 with a recommended launch RRP of US$ 1,999. Now that is one hell of a deal, and plenty of nice features.

The D5 is pretty much what a lot of people expected, and may indicate that the 1DX II will not get such a big FPS jump as some had predicted.

I guess we can expect 4K, touch screen, slightly better FPS, and definitely a lot more AF points etc. Which is what we are all thinking (though perhaps not wanting) anyway.

If it does have a touch screen I just hope it is very easy to disable as I would only ever (and even then only maybe) use it in the office.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Re: Nikon D5 Specifications, Announcement Tonight

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm wondering if the memory card option is due to a potentially large buyer like Reuters demanding a camera that works with their multi million dollar stock of cards and readers.

The cost for a large organization to switch card types to something non standard that none else is using could be substantial.

Their may also be a big customer who wants the QXD cards, possibly broadcast folks who want 4K?

Some broadcasters are waiting for 8K before spending a billion dollars on switching.
There is really only one use for 8K and that's oversampling to 4K. Native 8K images mean your so close the the screen that it's impossible to see all the image without the eyes panning & scanning the scene.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
dilbert said:
Busted Knuckles said:
200 frames at 12 fps = 16+ seconds..... interesting

From the press of the trigger on the starters gun to all the runners being over the line, that's the 100m sprint at the Olympics over and done with in less time than the buffer fills.

My 1DX takes only 171 in 30 seconds, so that is quite improvement. Never hit the buffer limit though, but still I wouldn't mind better buffer.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I'm wondering if the memory card option is due to a potentially large buyer like Reuters demanding a camera that works with their multi million dollar stock of cards and readers.

I doubt it. Reuters and Associated Press both have very few staff photographers left. Most are contract employees and provide their own equipment or they are in the employ of member newspapers not the news services themselves.

It probably has more to do with Nikon having a piece of the XQD pie. In fact, the XQD slot is nothing new for Nikon. The D4 and D4S had dual CF and XQD slots.

Upvote 0
My grandson is over there, as he works for Sony (not in the camera segment). He just wrote an mail. Big excitement at Nikon today. Really big eyes at the atendees of their press conference. Especially the D500 got very much attention as it will be an class of its own with their features.
Sony did not annnounce an new high-end body, but will do so in some weeks. A new A99 with much better specs. Maybe not in the 1Dx segment, but around the 5D priceclass with superior features and an excellent bionz sensor.
And Canon? Canon announced interresting products too, but not for the enthusiastic market. And their managers just say that their products are sold well. No need to hesitate.

Upvote 0

The cost for a large organization to switch card types to something non standard that none else is using could be substantial.

Their may also be a big customer who wants the QXD cards, possibly broadcast folks who want 4K?

Some broadcasters are waiting for 8K before spending a billion dollars on switching.

Why? How big a TV would the average household need in order to get the benefit from something recorded in 8k? Half the side of a house? Or a whole side?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

davidmurray said:

Why? How big a TV would the average household need in order to get the benefit from something recorded in 8k? Half the side of a house? Or a whole side?

Benefits from pixel density have been grossly underestimated in the past. The standard "retina" measurement only counts the resolution of lines in a grid, and not outlines of high contrast subjects (vernier resolution).

An 80" 8K screen actually fits within the original specification for IMAX video if you sit less than 6 feet away (both in screen size and resolution, it's pretty much the same). And ignoring the field of view, my eyes (slightly better than 20/20) don't lose fine detail until 9 feet out at that pixel density (80" 8K is about the same density as my laptop screen, so I can measure the effects of high resolution at a distance using that).

Now, six feet doesn't leave a lot of room for most home theaters, but for one or two people you would be just fine.
Also consider that practically nothing achieves the full potential of the resolution recorded. 4K content streaming usually looks like proper 1080p, and 1080p a step below that.
But practically speaking, they're never going to force 8K on anyone, my assumption is they're going to use it to differentiate between "premium" content and "standard" content. That said, I'm betting you'll pretty much always have the option to just not use 8K and save money doing so.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
If it does have a touch screen I just hope it is very easy to disable as I would only ever (and even then only maybe) use it in the office.

It will be user selectable - and you will also learn to like it (if it comes to your next camera) - touch simply gives you more input options.

On the 5DS/R you can decide what settings are shown on-screen, so with a touch screen you could have your own pre-selected special settings directly at hand instead of having to go into a menu and start scrolling around. Why not use that option?

Upvote 0