No 5D Mark III on Novemeber 3 [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
willhuff.net said:
On another site, I read someone's hands on review of the 1DX and he said he overheard two Canon employees hinting at the November announcement. The writer said that it would make a lot of people happy.

It's a Hollywood announcement. Maybe it's an X Mark I Electronic Clapperboard that will make a lot of 2nd ACs happy... :p

Upvote 0
HurtinMinorKey said:
Totally different markets? I doubt that. They'd have to nerf the 5dmrkiii pretty bad for it not to cannibalize any 1DX sales. I agree with neuroanatomist when he says that "time" is a good way to differentiate the two. Plus the mrkii is still selling well. So for all of the reasons mentioned, the probability of getting your hands on a 5Diii within a year is very low.

If Canon don't release any other FF camera in the near future the 1DX will obviously benefit as some may buy it even if its features don't totally suit them but I don't see that as "cannibalizing" 1DX sales if they release something more suitable for those users.

The markets just seem far more different than the 1Ds mk3/ and 5D mk2, there you had two bodies sold on MP first with the higher end one also giving some of the 1D functionality(decent FPS, high end AF, high end double grip build). Not everyone may have been happy with the 5D's AF and build but equally the 1Ds mk3's AF and build/size plus the prenuim they came at was probabley overkill.

But for the sake of discussion, say they did want to differentiate it with fps. Would people be happy with 36MP at 2fps(slower than its predecessor)?

The 1DX processor seems to hint that 3 FPS for 36 megapixels which would I'd guess keep most users happy and make sure it stayed well away from the 1DX.

If your getting below 3 FPS then I'd say that would depend on the cameras market, if its the only FF body besides the 1DX thats perhaps too low but if theres also a lower megapixel 5D sized body with higher FPS then the ultra high megapixel body would I'd guess be mainly selling to the landscape/studio market were FPS isnt that important.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
willhuff.net said:
On another site, I read someone's hands on review of the 1DX and he said he overheard two Canon employees hinting at the November announcement. The writer said that it would make a lot of people happy.

It's a Hollywood announcement. Maybe it's an X Mark I Electronic Clapperboard that will make a lot of 2nd ACs happy... :p

The 5D line does of course have some connection with hollywood though so both the high end videocam and it being annouced at the same time might not be impossible.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
moreorless said:
neuroanatomist said:
willhuff.net said:

The 5D line does of course have some connection with hollywood though so both the high end videocam and it being annouced at the same time might not be impossible.
i agree i certainly think its a possibility the 5dmk2 is what made it for canon in the video scene sounds like the perfect venue to announce its successor i would say 75% chance we will see a 5d mk3 on november 3rd.

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

moreorless said:
neuroanatomist said:
willhuff.net said:

"Some connection?" The 5D2 has a HUGE connection to Hollywood. I've worked in TV in Los Angeles for 10 years, and the 5D2 / 7D was the most important "video" camera that Canon has ever made. It's ability to do shallow focus at an affordable price has drastically altered the independent film landscape and many things on TV (more low budget projects of course) are shot on the Canons.

So I'm hoping for a Full Frame Stills/ video hybrid on Nov3rd.

Not holding my breath though.

Upvote 0
bornshooter said:
moreorless said:
neuroanatomist said:
willhuff.net said:

i agree i certainly think its a possibility the 5dmk2 is what made it for canon in the video scene sounds like the perfect venue to announce its successor i would say 75% chance we will see a 5d mk3 on november 3rd.

I'll bet you karma you won't see the successor then. I still think we'll see two dedicated video cameras. The lower end compatible with the EF lenses and 4:2:2. And the upper end 4k(fingers crossed) with PL lenses. Red Camera is announcing that day, so clearly Canon is trying to upstage them.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
So...people waiting for a 5DIII - do you want it announced on November 3rd, if it has 26 MP, 4 fps and the exact same AF as the 5DII? Do you want it announced in March when the 1D X comes out, if it has 30 MP, 4.2 fps, and the 9 cross-type points of the xxD line? Or do you want to wait for a late 2012 announcement with 2013 availability, if it has 36 MP, 4.5 fps, and 15 cross-type points?

Neuro, thanks for asking! Best thing to happen is to have the first announced on Nov 3rd - most will be happy with 24-6 MP and a better IQ/lower noise/higher DR/gapless microlenses etc etc (although I don't need AF at all I can't believe they'll be using the current AF again) = 20 % better everything and probably 20% price increase...
And next year (after Nikon's try) Canon can release whatever MP count professionals want; if 36 will be the near high-end of the FF format that's not going to come in just one step from now. Gradual evolution... more money.

Upvote 0
M

mreco99

Theres no way a 5DMK3 will be announced before Xmas imho

Theres no way a 5DMK2 replacement will be announced before Xmas imho

If the 1DX availability is so far in the future from actual announcement, i cant imagine the 5DMK2 replacement will be available before the 1DX.

Therefore why announce the 5DMK2 replacement before Xmas and potentially kill a hell of a lot of prosumer Xmas sales. People like to buy themselves a present as Xmas, some sort of justification, and the 5Dmk2 price point is exactly that.
The 1DX announcement didnt matter before Xmas as its not the sort of camera that sells as Xmas presents, so getting the word out there that Canon have some amazing new tech (in thier opnion) will help save face and customers.

I think Canon are struggling more than they let on imho.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.