No 7D Mark II in 2013? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
privatebydesign said:
RLPhoto said:
As for the avatar, it says what needs to be said without having said it. YMMV.

It says, very clearly, you are a conflicted troll who can't live by your own perverse opinions.

Your opinion. My opinion of you would hold you in a much lower light but I'd rather not type that.

Upvote 0
This argument is now a pointless exercise. To me, RL you must care something about gear or you wouldn't be on a gear rumor site talking about gear and displaying your own gear list in your sig just -- only to argue that gear is not important. A minimalist approach to photography is one thing, and you make a good case for it, but imho you've taken this to the absurd level where its just not even entertaining anymore.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
dlleno said:
This argument is now a pointless exercise. To me, RL you must care something about gear or you wouldn't be on a gear rumor site talking about gear and displaying your own gear list in your sig just -- only to argue that gear is not important. A minimalist approach to photography is one thing, and you make a good case for it, but imho you've taken this to the absurd level where its just not even entertaining anymore.

Gear doesn't matter, it just a matter of convenience. I stand by that statement, but many other's don't. I'm not offended if you agree or don't agree, but it's what I work by.

Upvote 0
Lets move on. So with 7D2 coming in 14, and a 1 series high MP coming in 14, that would make for only two notable DSLR bodies next year (ok 70D would be three if it waits that long), plus the obligatory new Rebels, of course, which hatch frequently. I guess i don't see whats so spectacular about the number of 2014 DSLR Bodies, and what a great year it will be -- beyond of course the fact that we may see Canon's price interpretation of what a high MP body should command from the market, and whatever they reveal in the 7D2. is anyone anticipating more than this?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dlleno said:
Lets move on. So with 7D2 coming in 14, and a 1 series high MP coming in 14, that would make for only two notable DSLR bodies next year (ok 70D would be three if it waits that long), plus the obligatory new Rebels, of course, which hatch frequently. I guess i don't see whats so spectacular about the number of 2014 DSLR Bodies, and what a great year it will be -- beyond of course the fact that we may see Canon's price interpretation of what a high MP body should command from the market, and whatever they reveal in the 7D2. is anyone anticipating more than this?

Canon has repeatedly said that the 7D2 will be "a significant upgrade" and "a game-changer". The safest bet is new sensor technology and improvements to AF, burst rate, video, and remote control. At the minimum it should be the unveiling of sensor performance that the rumoured high-megapixel camera will have.... and it is possible that they will skip over the .18 micron technology to something else... who knows?

And that's the crux of it.... "Who knows?" In the meantime we wildly speculate. We have no hard evidence to back up our speculations, but it's fun to dream.

I'll probably get one when it is released.... but I am patient enough to wait, plus my 60D works just fine.... I bet it has at least another 15000 shutter releases on it before the 7D2 comes out :)

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
dlleno said:

Canon has repeatedly said that the 7D2 will be "a significant upgrade" and "a game-changer". The safest bet is new sensor technology and improvements to AF, burst rate, video, and remote control. At the minimum it should be the unveiling of sensor performance that the rumoured high-megapixel camera will have.... and it is possible that they will skip over the .18 micron technology to something else... who knows?

And that's the crux of it.... "Who knows?" In the meantime we wildly speculate. We have no hard evidence to back up our speculations, but it's fun to dream.

I'll probably get one when it is released.... but I am patient enough to wait, plus my 60D works just fine.... I bet it has at least another 15000 shutter releases on it before the 7D2 comes out :)

Yea I'd rather widely speculate on that then about what doesn't matter to rl. I'm wondering if we will see only 2 or more than 2 bodies

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dlleno said:
So with 7D2 coming in 14, and a 1 series high MP coming in 14, that would make for only two notable DSLR bodies next year (ok 70D would be three if it waits that long), plus the obligatory new Rebels, of course, which hatch frequently. I guess i don't see whats so spectacular about the number of 2014 DSLR Bodies, and what a great year it will be -- beyond of course the fact that we may see Canon's price interpretation of what a high MP body should command from the market, and whatever they reveal in the 7D2. is anyone anticipating more than this?

Apparently, any photo can be taken by any camera at all, a pinhole camera is a good as a 1D X. So, who cares about a 7DII or high MP body - it's just gear...so it doesn't matter. ::)

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
neuroanatomist said:
dlleno said:
So with 7D2 coming in 14, and a 1 series high MP coming in 14, that would make for only two notable DSLR bodies next year (ok 70D would be three if it waits that long), plus the obligatory new Rebels, of course, which hatch frequently. I guess i don't see whats so spectacular about the number of 2014 DSLR Bodies, and what a great year it will be -- beyond of course the fact that we may see Canon's price interpretation of what a high MP body should command from the market, and whatever they reveal in the 7D2. is anyone anticipating more than this?

Apparently, any photo can be taken by any camera at all, a pinhole camera is a good as a 1D X. So, who cares about a 7DII or high MP body - it's just gear...so it doesn't matter. ::)

Right on. I've seen superb pin-hole photos and lousy 1Dx frames. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
RLPhoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
dlleno said:

And obviously, any photo taken with one could be taken with the other, right? Because gear doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
neuroanatomist said:
RLPhoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
dlleno said:

And obviously, any photo taken with one could be taken with the other, right? Because gear doesn't matter.

I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

Upvote 0
ankorwatt said:
Don Haines said:
dlleno said:

game-changer
new sensor tech
So suddenly Canon changes to something new regarding sensors , where stands the 1dx, 5dmk3 , 6D after that?
and 1DX and now 6D newly presented in to the market.
Sounds like little bit unrealistic don't you think?.

Again, assuming only sensor tech matters. The 1D X and 5D III are phenomenal cameras for the market niches they are intended to fill. They have EXCELLENT IQ, even without two extra stops of DR, but sensor isn't necessarily the most important technology factor. There are gobs of other technological improvements in those cameras as well, not to mention they are all full frame.

So, the 7D II comes along with new sensor tech...its APS-C! It isn't going to be encroaching on 1D X nor 5D III territory any time soon...its a different class of tool for a different market...even IF it has better DR, same 61pt AF system, 10fps frame rate, deep frame buffer, rugged body build, dual CF cards, and comes strait out the gate with all the other improvements added to the 1D X and 5D III with firmware updates: f/8 AF, blinking red AF points in darker conditions, etc.

The big MP camera is, once again, a different beast. I fully expect it to be KILLER on the IQ front, including at least two more stops of DR. If it isn't, it's a dud on arrival, as there is no question the market will compare it to the D800 and Sony Exmor. It'll be a BIG MP camera, though...so it won't be taking on either the 1D X nor 5D III. It'll have a low frame rate. It'll probably top out at ISO 26500, although I wouldn't be surprised if it topped out at ISO 12800 (with great quality). I suspect it won't have a deep frame buffer. As a likely studio camera, it could very well come with an integrated grip, and be 1-series, although I wouldn't really be surprised if its a new 3-series camera. It will serve an entirely different market than the 1D X and 5D III, most likely at a price point somewhere between the two.

So, the 1D X and 5D III have their place, for at least another three years. I see no reason for anyone to be worried about their purchase, or even planned purchases, unless they are a bird & wildlife photographer, landscape photographer, or studio photographer (in which case, waiting for the 7D II or Big MP only seems logical.)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dlleno said:
Don Haines said:
dlleno said:

Yea I'd rather widely speculate on that then about what doesn't matter to rl. I'm wondering if we will see only 2 or more than 2 bodies

[sigh] the kids are fighting again....

It seems obvious that the current technology has gone about as far as it's going to go.... No real increases in APS-C land since the original 7D, just improvements in accessories and in-camera jpegs, but very little change in the RAW files. FF is about 2 stops better, mostly due to the larger pixel sizes. Look at the T5i..... the dial goes around.... that's it for improvements over the T4i! Current technology is at it's limits!

I can see things being slow in the non-rebel segment until new tech and methods break things loose. It makes sense to hold back until they are ready.... and when they are ready I can see a quick wave of upgrading the 7D and the entirety of the FF line. (quick being a year and a half)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jrista said:
Again, assuming only sensor tech matters. The 1D X and 5D III are phenomenal cameras for the market niches they are intended to fill. They have EXCELLENT IQ, even without two extra stops of DR, but sensor isn't necessarily the most important technology factor. There are gobs of other technological improvements in those cameras as well, not to mention they are all full frame.

So, the 7D II comes along with new sensor tech...its APS-C! It isn't going to be encroaching on 1D X nor 5D III territory any time soon...its a different class of tool for a different market...even IF it has better DR, same 61pt AF system, 10fps frame rate, deep frame buffer, rugged body build, dual CF cards, and comes strait out the gate with all the other improvements added to the 1D X and 5D III with firmware updates: f/8 AF, blinking red AF points in darker conditions, etc.

The big MP camera is, once again, a different beast. I fully expect it to be KILLER on the IQ front, including at least two more stops of DR. If it isn't, it's a dud on arrival, as there is no question the market will compare it to the D800 and Sony Exmor. It'll be a BIG MP camera, though...so it won't be taking on either the 1D X nor 5D III. It'll have a low frame rate. It'll probably top out at ISO 26500, although I wouldn't be surprised if it topped out at ISO 12800 (with great quality). I suspect it won't have a deep frame buffer. As a likely studio camera, it could very well come with an integrated grip, and be 1-series, although I wouldn't really be surprised if its a new 3-series camera. It will serve an entirely different market than the 1D X and 5D III, most likely at a price point somewhere between the two.

So, the 1D X and 5D III have their place, for at least another three years. I see no reason for anyone to be worried about their purchase, or even planned purchases, unless they are a bird & wildlife photographer, landscape photographer, or studio photographer (in which case, waiting for the 7D II or Big MP only seems logical.)

Agreed... If sensor were all that mattered Canon and Nikon would each have 1 FF camera and probably 0 crop cameras. Oly and Panasonic would each sell 1 micro-4/3 camera. It's all the other features that really sets the cameras in the lineup apart.

To my way of thinking, AF is the most important aspect of a DSLR. It does not matter how many mega pixels and stops of dynamic range an out of focus image has.... I really hope a new 7D2 has a kick-ass focus system....

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Rocguy said:
Why don't the gear doesn't matter people trade in all their gear and only use a Rebel with the 18-55 kit lens?

or an iPhone.... Apple claims that more pictures are taken each day with an iPhone than any other camera..... they could be "gear doesn't matter" and "cool new-age trendy hip" at the same time.... and they could post on the forum while out taking pictures..... that would be great gear to have.... oh wait, "it doesn't matter"....

as an aside, I refer to my 400mm lens as my "grizzly bear" lens...... a lens for things that I can't get too close to, or don't want to get too close to.... I am NOT going to walk up to a polar bear and stick an iPhone in it's face.... I also have problems walking on water and flying up into trees, so for me, gear does matter.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.