wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
mackguyver said:
Mitch.Conner said:
DigitalDivide said:
The majority of users have no idea how the internet works

Rope, pulleys, and counterweights right?
No, no - it's hamsters in cages and tin cans connected with string these days. We've come a long way ;)

I guess my internet is slow because I'm still using smoke signals.....hamsters, who knew...

Upvote 0
Old Sarge said:
If you are using Firefox you can use AdBlock plug-in to avoid ads altogether.

If you must, at least don't use AdBlock Plus or plugins from the same company for other browsers. Their "acceptable ads" whitelist is simply a way to ransom sites into paying them to be included, and the author has enough leverage because it's the most popular plugin.

I know this is argued as a service to the community to invite sites to create less obstrusive ads and the payment is a mere service fee, but when you read up on how much money is collected this behavior is imho simply extortion and as criminal as it gets w/o directly breaking a law.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Marsu42 said:
Old Sarge said:

If you must, at least don't use AdBlock Plus or plugins from the same company for other browsers. Their "acceptable ads" whitelist is simply a way to ransom sites into paying them to be included, and the author has enough leverage because it's the most popular plugin.

I know this is argued as a service to the community to invite sites to create less obstrusive ads and the payment is a mere service fee, but when you read up on how much money is collected this behavior is imho simply extortion and as criminal as it gets w/o directly breaking a law.

Interesting comment about AdBlock Plus. I don't use it, and I never see a ad on CR using AdFender, but I do see unwanted videos on some news sites

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Marsu42 said:
Old Sarge said:

thats horse potatoes, just uncheck the box, problem solved.

Upvote 0
Logan said:

Indeed, that's just what the Adblock Plus author says. But how many of all these Joe Sixpack users stumble upon this option, and why is it opt-out instead of opt-in?

This box is simply there to as an argumentation aid, just as you can just remove Internet Explorer from your PC or use a Windows N version. Strangely, very few people do, and strangely Microsoft still drove Netscape out of business...

It's not about *you* (being able to opt out), it's about lessening the userbase of such an addon to make the point that this extortion tactic doesn't work. Unfortunately, as you just demonstrated, people tend to think no further than they are absolutely forced to do.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Marsu42 said:
Logan said:

Indeed, that's just what the Adblock Plus author says. But how many of all these Joe Sixpack users stumble upon this option, and why is it opt-out instead of opt-in?

This box is simply there to as an argumentation aid, just as you can just remove Internet Explorer from your PC or use a Windows N version. Strangely, very few people do, and strangely Microsoft still drove Netscape out of business...

I found the option, but you have to know how to dig it out. Not Friendly!
It's not about *you* (being able to opt out), it's about lessening the userbase of such an addon to make the point that this extortion tactic doesn't work. Unfortunately, as you just demonstrated, people tend to think no further than they are absolutely forced to do.

Upvote 0