Noisy obtrusive ads

Mt Spokane Photography said:
...... using the cookies placed on your computer from previous visits to other web sites.......
Which can produce downright creepy results.
On my phone I was shopping Home Depot's site for a particular type of lighting globe. I now see ads on that phone from Home Depot for that exact item while browsing CR. I bought the globe already, paid cash in store, but there's no way for cookies to know that so I'm still being urged to buy.

Upvote 0
The ads we see are tailored to each user using the cookies placed on your computer from previous visits to other web sites. If you look at a Nikon D810 on Amazon, you will likely see ads almost everywhere you visit.

I swear, it must have been someone hacking my account. I don't know where those penile enhancement ads came from!!!! :-[

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Any angry x's?

AcutancePhotography said:
The ads we see are tailored to each user using the cookies placed on your computer from previous visits to other web sites. If you look at a Nikon D810 on Amazon, you will likely see ads almost everywhere you visit.

I swear, it must have been someone hacking my account. I don't know where those penile enhancement ads came from!!!! :-[

Upvote 0
tolusina said:
phigment said:
tolusina said:
My rant regards the tracking and analytics in use.
Why why why does anyone in marketing and advertising care how I've arrived once I've arrived. They have gotten

The simple answer is they want to know where and to whom they should focus their marketing energy.

Example: if a company trying to sell professional gear is having ads pop up on gimmicky consumer sites (which then generate clicks, but no purchases), they should remove that target from their campaign.
Still missing my point.
Their advertising has worked. Among the billions of possible internet distractions, their ads have worked, I'm there, I want info, they want more analytics from ad servers instead.

Retail 101, make the sale, maybe ask how and why afterwards.

Good to hear you were able to resolve the problem, and sorry I misunderstood the point of your original post.

I think the feedback is very valuable to Canon precisely because among the billions of possible distractions, this method was successful. They want to keep using it to attract hundreds or thousands of other potential customers. The analytics are supposed to be transparent of course, but they probably consider that the small risk of losing an occasional sale is worth it. How many people actually bother to fill in the "how did you hear about us?" questions that get asked after a sale? Accurate marketing feedback is like gold...

I'm certainly in agreement that such glitches are annoying when they happen though. :(

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
AlanF said:
Audio/video ads are being posted by Google that are activated simply by moving unintentionally the cursor over them without clicking. This activation happens when scrolling and the cursor slides over the ad. They are horribly noisy. Admin please get rid of them.

I will talk to Google about it, I'm not sure if I can opt out of those. Thanks for your patience.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
AlanF said:
Audio/video ads are being posted by Google that are activated simply by moving unintentionally the cursor over them without clicking. This activation happens when scrolling and the cursor slides over the ad. They are horribly noisy. Admin please get rid of them.

I will talk to Google about it, I'm not sure if I can opt out of those. Thanks for your patience.

There seems to be complaints around the internet. Facebook autorun videos started it when smartphone users discovered they were eating their minutes.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
It all depends which browser that you are using. It is "Ad-free" on this site when I am using Internet Explorer. If I use Firefox on this site, the noisy ads and the other ads are so bad that I cannot stand it. To be fair, there are a lot popup ads and noisy ads even on Amazon and a few other sites when I use Fire fox. It is up to a ppoint that I do not even use Firefox anymore. P.S. My Firefox has been set up to block ALL popup already.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
AcutancePhotography said:

Joking aside, I did once start getting ads for erotic books from Amazon. I have absolutely no idea what prompted it, but it could potentially have been really embarrassing.

More recently, I got seriously fed up with one particular Canon ad playing over and over and over again on dpreview so I installed Adblock Plus. I now see no ads at all, which is a shame because I never objected to being shown static, non-popup ads. The advertisers who play nice are also being penalised.

Upvote 0
DigitalDivide said:
The majority of users have no idea how the internet works

I have it on good authority that the Internet is a series of tubes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes

"They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material"

Upvote 0