Patent: A new mirrorless camera body design with integrated grip with pass-through

Jul 26, 2020
I think this is good for the camera industry. Something different than people's smartphone. People often have their smartphone and Go-pro for filming. The Go-Pro is a specialty. So if manufacturer create something different/specialty then people might have renewed interest in the camera market. It might not sell a lot, but at least get people talking.

Upvote 0
The open grip design might also improve passive cooling, because of the increased surface area. Also this area won't be covered by a hand. I wonder, where they would put the memory cards and the batteries (if the form factor allows for seamless integration, and if there will be new batteries for souch a system). Also the heat could be moved away from inside the hand. On a long day of shooting, I find my self with very sweaty hands, which will over time degrade the rubber finish of the grip.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2016
I can see a few advantages it could provide. Having two separate spaces would allow the components that get hot to be separated from each other. For example the memory cards could be in the grip and the processing components in the main body. The heat generated by the memory card wouldn't then affect the image processing.

From a storage and transport scenario it's not great. It's a lot of extra space that would require a larger camera bag.

Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
I remember the somewhat revolutionary change in design as the pro Canon line moved from an FD mount to an EF mount (albeit the T90 had given a glimpse of what was to come - and perhaps this could be an 'R90', if you like)... the press photographers et al, coped well enough - no need for surgery on body parts to cope with the new design ergonomics! This overall concept sits well with me (and it is quite surprisingly bigger than the R3, so there would be room to fit everything in).

I like the look of dual thumb wheels within the body gap (111a & 111b).

Just a bit of fun... scales are not quite right, but not far off. The design evolution certainly doesn't look too silly: FD > EF > RF
A bit of fun.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
That is a radical design. You might be able to free up the real estate with the mechanical parts removed, but I agree it will be a tight fit. Should this be to address sensor heat, wonder how warm it will be by your fingers on this new grip.
The sensor isn’t in the grip. Likely batteries and some other electronics will be. It’s likely the processor will also be in the main body. If there’s no mechanical shutter, something we’re getting closer to, then the smaller central portion won’t have a problem holding components.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
I can't see this design being the R5C. There is no articulating screen, which is a must have for video shooters. However, I think this would be a awesome looking R1. The new design would differentiate the mirrorless lineup.
I don't think this is the R5c or R1. Just some things will translate over.

I'm a bit worried, R5c is “slightly larger than the EOS R5”. Is it large enough for ND filters and BNC audio input? All I'm asking is for Canon's version of 6Kpro with better ergonomics, RF mount.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Whether this design is close to something Canon will produce, or not, I’m happy to see that they are willing to look at new concepts, whether they work out or not in practice.

the early digital camera market was full of odd and interesting designs that never made it. The industry settled on the tried and true ergonomics of the long time film camera. People were just more comfortable with those designs. This isn’t too radical, actually. The opening is the big difference. But if you closed that, it would be similar to most large double grip models.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Well... and why not simply integrate a mechanism that turns the sensor (or the whole cage of the mount) in either portrait or landscape mode (with a button to do so) or would be able to determine horizontal/vertical position by itself with a switch... or a fixed cross shape sensor... or a square sensor... round sensor, etc. ?
Very good idea but I think you have to turn the lens with the sensor due to the contacts between lens and body! But just that might be possible.

Upvote 0
I love that Canon is coming up with crazy ideas, but this one seems odd to me in that it solves a video issue (heat) with a camera feature designed for stills (vertical shooting). And does so by shrinking internal real estate available while simultaneously expanding the camera's effective volume.

There would definitely be a few people who would love it for gripping, though. People following skiers down the slope, etc.

The camera design holds the viewfinder quite a bit away from the hands, which strikes me as a it less stable. But I think this is one of those ideas you'd have to check out physically, with something real in your hands.

Upvote 0