Patent: Canon Auto Switching Hybrid OVF and EVF

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-11-09">A patent</a> showing a hybrid optical viewfinder and electronic viewfinder from Canon has appeared. I’m going off the Google translation of the patent, but if anyone can translate the Japanese a bit better, we’d appreciate hearing from you.</p>
<p>Patent Publication No. 2016-173443 (Google translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>Published 2016.9.29</li>
<li>Filing date 2015.3.17</li>
<li>Provided with the OVF and EVF</li>
<li>Trackable AF</li>
<li>It switched to the EVF and deviates from the effective range of the AF sensor</li>
</ul>
<p>Could this be something we see introduced in a new EOS Rebel DSLR?</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
The patent relate to being able to track an object using the hybrid system which was patented some time ago.

There is the object of this invention in providing the imaging device which made it possible to photo the image focused on the tracking object, even when an object to track separates from the useful range of an AF sensor at the time of sequential-photographs photographing.

The characteristics of having a control means by which the aforementioned distance measurement means and the ranging operation by the aforementioned image sensor are switched, and the aforementioned optical finder and the aforementioned electronic view finder are simultaneously switched for the display of a finder based on the position information on the object detected by the aforementioned object detecting means are carried out.

So, when a object cannot be tracked due to area limitations of the conventional phase detect AF system, the mirror will flip up and track to the edge of the sensor using the signal from the sensor (DPAF??)

According to the present invention, the tracking range of an object can be extended at the time of the sequential-photographs photographing by an object tracking function. In the single-lens reflex camera which enables the change of an optical finder and an electronic view finder, even if it usually switches from photographing to mirror rise photographing, a photographer can be photoed by switching from an optical finder to an electronic view finder with the same attitude.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Having super tracking in a new Rebel is possible, but I think its very unlikely to happen anytime soon. If fact, I really do not expect to see it happen.

The Hybrid viewfinder thing is a backup if it turns out to be impossible to design a mirrorless camera, or if high end buyers want a optical sensor.

Since the camera switches to a essentially mirrorless mode in order to track an object to the edge of the sensor, I'd think that a mirrorless would be simpler. If the mirrorless mode can track to the edge of the screen, it should be able to track in the center?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
So, when a object cannot be tracked due to area limitations of the conventional phase detect AF system, the mirror will flip up and track to the edge of the sensor using the signal from the sensor (DPAF??)

well, it does not appear to be a patent related to upcoming mirrorless Canon cameras. ;D

desperate last ditch efforts to keep half-braindead mirrorslappers artificially alive a bit longer ... objective: get the uninformed masses to buy 5 more minor iterations of 'slappers, and only therafter to buy 5 minor iterations of mirrorless cams, instead of buying mirrorless already today. :)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:

well, it does not appear to be a patent related to upcoming mirrorless Canon cameras. ;D

desperate last ditch efforts to keep half-braindead mirrorslappers artificially alive a bit longer ... objective: get the uninformed masses to buy 5 more minor iterations of 'slappers, and only therafter to buy 5 minor iterations of mirrorless cams, instead of buying mirrorless already today. :)

I am not shure about that. I really like to check potential scenes/subjects battery-less and instantanously with an USM lens and a mirror slapper. Maybe I am a little bit outdated with my style of looking two or three times before I do a shot - but I am not part of the "uninformed masses".

On the other hand I would like to have a built-in EVF for video and critical exposure with exp simulation. The Fuji-approach providing both VF options built in one camera has my biggest sympathy (converted to a SLR design). I would take a slow camera eg. like 6D with this option without hesitation.

For smaller designs, video oriented cameras etc. I see "EVF only" as a useful alternative but: Please give us LARGER BATTERY CAPACITY maybe in larger battery grips which make bulkier cameras but do not add to the "Bounding Box" of the camera.

Battery life of EOS 5D with a 5 year old BP-511 is phenomenal: 300 shots and battery life is around 60%!

Upvote 0