Patent: Canon EF 10mm f/2.8

Jan 29, 2011
ecqns said:
Lee Jay said:
Pixel said:
I can barely get anything usable from the 11-24 at 11mm let alone 10mm!
Just because the lens is rectilinear doesn't mean it's always going to render correctly on the edges. If there are people near the edges in your 11mm frame forget about it.

Yup...11 is already too wide for a rectilinear is a very large majority of cases. 14-16 is about my limit for rectilinear ultrawides. I often prefer slightly defished fisheye shots at 14mm and wider in full-frame rectilinear equivalent terms.

I've been curious about the 11mm but can't see using anything wider than an effective 14mm (17mm TS-E stitched) and getting good results. That super wide exaggerated look doesn't fly on work images.

The 17TS-E horizontally stitched gives a horizontal fov a decent bit wider than the 11-24 at 11.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
Here are two shots, camera is set exactly the same for both at 11mm on FF. back of SUV is around 6m, the blue circle is a cap off a peanut jar and is a few inches from the lens, they are both distorted the same.

A very effective demonstration.

Either StudentOfLight needs to study a bit more, or the problem is that spare tires and peanut jar caps aren't people. ;)

;)

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
privatebydesign said:
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
Here are two shots, camera is set exactly the same for both at 11mm on FF. back of SUV is around 6m, the blue circle is a cap off a peanut jar and is a few inches from the lens, they are both distorted the same.

Either StudentOfLight needs to study a bit more, or the problem is that spare tires and peanut jar caps aren't people. ;)

;)
Yes, well demonstrated.

I apologise LJ, I was wrong. The effect is still there at larger distances.

If the subject is smaller then the problem is still there just smaller. Attached is a 100% crop picture of me taken 8m from a wall with the Samyang 14mm, me at the edge of frame. I am looking (quite unambiguously) fat-in-the-head. :-[

Attachments

• Fat-Head.jpg
    Fat-Head.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
StudentOfLight said:
privatebydesign said:
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:

;)
Yes, well demonstrated.

I apologise LJ, I was wrong. The effect is still there at larger distances.

If the subject is smaller then the problem is still there just smaller. Attached is a 100% crop picture of me taken 8m from a wall with the Samyang 14mm, me at the edge of frame. I am looking (quite unambiguously) fat-in-the-head. :-[

;D

Upvote 0