Patent: Canon RF 14mm f/1.4L IS USM & Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L IS USM

But 14 IS with 1.4... I don't get it. But I don't have to understand all... Whoever this will buy, do it. No problem with it....
Well, for Astro and Aurora pics you need the F1.4, but you can easily live without the IS (especially since most camera bodies now have IBIS)
For cityscapes and such one can leave out the F1.4, but depending on where and what you shoot you might need IS...
What to do? Offer two lenses? One with a lower F-number, one with(out) IS? Or just one lens, put both in it and let the customer what to use. I guess Canon will take that approach.

Upvote 0
35mm 1.4. 35mm should show the landscape and background instead of blowing it out completely.
You can always close aperture down. You can't go beyond maximum aperture. If you want to use 35mm for landscape, there's plenty of slower 35mm lenses available for that. (adapted lenses and many zooms reach 35mm) I would use 35mm f 1.2 L for environmental portraits, especially in dim light and indoors where it would be perfect for my needs. I use f 4 zooms for landscape photos and when I need to show more background.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Every good milky way picture with something in the foreground is a composite image.
Post processing is needed but a single shot is sufficient for milky way and foreground.
Whether you believe it is "good" is a separate discussion.
Using light painting for the foreground or elements like spinning wool can also be effective single shot images.
Single 30s shot 5Diii + Samyang 14mm/2.8 @ ISO3200
27110015014_03f97af040_o.jpg

You can also do it with stacking of several pictures to reduce the noise, but its the same. The earth is rotating, the milky way is moving, and if you stack it, you also do a composite. There are programs which will automatically fix the foreground, but its nevertheless the same thing.
So you also can expose the night sky with a rotating tracker and compose it with an unrotated foreground picture.
I agree that you can and many people do composites and trackers and multi-row panoramas especially with narrower focal lengths and stack for noise reduction.
But you can also shoot milky way bows using 14mm and stitch with ~7 portrait shots without trackers.
More complexity should give "better" shots technically but with a lot of back end work.
Flickr examples of my milky way shots

Aurora I wouldn't call as Astro... (yes yes, Sun...) - But, yes, for Aurora a fast lens is very good. (But I did it also with f/4... works).
But is this the target for the 14 IS here? A special lens for all Aurora enthusiasts? This "big" market?
Hopefully the aurora is large enough to cover a lot of the sky and hence 14mm would be ideal with reflections or other foreground elements.
f1.4 would be ideal for video of aurora.
I recall Canon releasing a video of aurora demonstrating a sensor with very high ISO sensitivity but I can't find it at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
Yes, Video is a separate Issue. I thought mainly photo here. But I think the number of people doing that is even smaller. Did this justify this lens... I can't say....

>But you can also shoot milky way bows
A complete "bow" is another issue. This is only possible in the southern hemisphere. You in Australia "got" lucky to have it in your backyard. The bigger number of people (on the northern hemisphere) just don't and have to travel. My pic (pages before) is from Tenerife, which is about 28°N and shows the milky way center complete, but not a bow. And this was already an 5h flight for me. Yes, all is possible, but it all narrows the "common" need for it.
A 14mm half bow (northern hemisphere) with the milky way center on the horizon is boring, lot of nothing.

Upvote 0
Hopefully the aurora is large enough to cover a lot of the sky and hence 14mm would be ideal with reflections or other foreground elements.
f1.4 would be ideal for video of aurora.
I recall Canon releasing a video of aurora demonstrating a sensor with very high ISO sensitivity but I can't find it at the moment.
I read a long article last year about the R6 for astro, its high ISO video means you can do aurora videos pretty easily https://amazingsky.net/2021/09/23/testing-the-canon-r6-for-astrophotography/

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
We have another optical formula patent for lenses that are likely to reach the market some time in the near future. This time we have formulas for a Canon RF 14mm f/1.4L IS USM & Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L IS USM. A fast RF L prime has been long rumoured, and an RF 24mm f/1.4L

See full article...
Are we sure the 14 f1.4 is not an RF-S lens? That sounds like a 14 f2.8 with a built in focal reducer optimized for mirrorless spacing. This is an ideal focal length for vlogging with enhanced digital IS engaged (which creates a pretty serious crop on an R7). This would even work on an R10. Even Sony doesn't put IS in a 15mm f1.4, but theirs is like half the length, so that's makes me think this is going to be too heavy for that duty, so what is the point of IS?

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Can we have RF 50/1.4 IS USM

I'd pay with my own organs to see a 50 f1.4 from Canon after 30 years :devilish: but I'm starting to feel they will never EVER release a new one, because they probably are scared that the f1.4 will eat 90% sales of the f1.2 version (for just 1/3rd of a stop darker you'll likely pay from half to two thirds less money for a f1.4 vs the actual f1.2), so they probably prefer to sell (relatively) very few of the f1.2 but for a double/triple price.
Lucky for us there's the Sigma Art we can adapt, that is spectacular for the money (and today I'm pretty sure you'll find it used in the 400/450€ range), as the old EF version (I had it) was a nightmare, really soft and without a hint of contrast up to f4, were also the f1.8 was already as good, so no reason to buy the first one.

Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
I'd pay with my own organs to see a 50 f1.4 from Canon after 30 years :devilish: but I'm starting to feel they will never EVER release a new one, because they probably are scared that the f1.4 will eat 90% sales of the f1.2 version (for just 1/3rd of a stop darker you'll likely pay from half to two thirds less money for a f1.4 vs the actual f1.2), so they probably prefer to sell (relatively) very few of the f1.2 but for a double/triple price.
Lucky for us there's the Sigma Art we can adapt, that is spectacular for the money (and today I'm pretty sure you'll find it used in the 400/450€ range), as the old EF version (I had it) was a nightmare, really soft and without a hint of contrast up to f4, were also the f1.8 was already as good, so no reason to buy the first one.
It depends on the point of view. If you are a professional or semi-professional and take into account that you are buying a lens for perhaps ten years, it is worth paying extra for better bokeh, the ability to take pictures in low light with a lower ISO, more durable construction and sealing against dust and splashing water. Also the focus is better. Not by much, but it is. And in the competitive environment that photography is today, even such details can play a role. If you shoot mostly at aperture 4 or more and dreamy bokeh is not something you care about, it's probably pointless to spend money. Part of the money can also be saved by waiting for Black Friday or Canon cashback.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I shot a huge number of shots with the EF50/1.4. I miss a 50/1.4 for RF. I'm not alone. Canon's not stupid. Why don't they make one? Here's my guess.

The famed double-gauss design just CANNOT be improved much. None of them have ever been and despite modern materials and design software I don't think there's going to be a massive improvement EVER. Even the RF50 is quite similar in performance to the EF50/1.8 released in 1987, which itself was probably similar to the preceding FD's.

Now, optic software CAN design highly-corrected 50mm's, but they're relatively huge, and complex, and therefore cost a bomb. The Leica APO-ASPH 50/2, Otus 50/1.4, and Canon RF50/1.2 are all of this school. I think the Sigma Art 50/1.4 is too?

If Canon basically made a slightly-tweaked EF50/1.4, its going to be very similar to the RF50/1.8. Not high resolution, not highly corrected. With today's IBIS and ultra-low-noise sensors, we're no longer gagging for the extra 2/3 stop. I used to hand-hold in restaurants 1/30 on 1600 speed film at 1.4 and it was horribly grainy AND had camera-shake blur AND the low IQ we expect at the biggest apertures. Today I'd do the same shot at 1/50 with IBIS at 10k with maybe even f/4 and the noise is practically invisible. Meanwhile, with the ultra-low noise and exacting autofocus and low hand-shake, subjects are so sharp compared to the background, that f/1.8 or even f/4 actually has sufficient power to really make the subject pop out of the background in the way a cell phone photo doesn't. In the past the focus was off, the resolution was low, the camera was moving, and so the subject was already pretty soft and you needed a big aperture to make the background yet softer and get that "pop" feeling (of the subject being quite separate from the background). I don't think anyone wants such a lens, do you?

If Canon basically made a down-sized RF50/1.2, its going to be very similar to the RF50/1.2. It'd still have the same number of elements or close to it. Design and assembly would be comperable cost. Sourcing the pieces might be a little cheaper but nut hugely. So the resulting lens is going to be nearly as big, nearly as heavy, nearly as expensive, and be 1/3 stop down. There is SOME room to differentiate it: it could have less vignetting (or more, though that's hard to imagine!), IS, maybe be a bit less corrected and lower resolution. But again, it's still not really compelling. The 50/1.2 is hella expensive, but buy one used and sell it used and it shouldn't cost you too much per year to own, in between. How much cheaper would an f/1.4 version of the same lens be?

I don't really follow all the MTF sites so if I'm misunderstanding other 50mm's of the last 20 years please correct me!

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Canon should make some halo lenses: 35/1.0 and 135/1.0DS.

35/1.0 would have the 35mm aperture of a 50/1.4, so you'd have the same DOF as a 50/1.4 just over twice the area. It'd be eminently usable and shouldn't require a monstrous amount of glass. There are already several 35/1.0's for smaller sensors I think. My 35mm lineup would be a 35/1.0 halo lens, very low production, but generate a lot of buzz. 35/1.4 pro lens, general purpose use. 35/2 economical lens for new amateurs, and a 35/2 or 35/2.8 street lens with modest spec but superb rendition and sharpness, to lure the Leica crowd.

135/1.0DS would have a 135mm aperture (of course), same as a Nikon 300/2, or a 400/2.8, 600/4, etc. It's huge... but not undoable by any means. Now, like most lenses, the highlights would be football-shaped towards the corners. But at f/1.4, it would have perfectly round out-of-focus highlights from center to corner. The DS filter would be a drop-in (like the telephoto circular polarizers) that would turn the f/1.4 perfect circle into a perfect sphere. It'd cut transmission by about half, so the resulting lens works much as a wide-open 135/2, albeit with perfect fuzzball highlights. It might be a USD15,000 lens, but it'd be a lens whose images you could recognize anywhere. How many other lenses can that be said of??

Upvote 0