Patent: Canon RF mount Big White Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Big white lenses for the RF mount are a logical next step for Canon, and I was expecting to see at least a couple of them announced ahead of the Tokyo games this year, but that appears to still be in a certain level of flux, so who knows at this point?
Outside of an RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM, all of the optical formulas that appear in this USPTO patent uncovered by Northlight Images are also part of the rumoured RF lens roadmap that I published a while ago.
Another of the rumoured lenses on our roadmap is an RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM, but I haven’t seen any sort of patent reference for such an optical formula yet.

Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM...

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Interesting that they all are listed as longer than the EF mount versions?
Keep in mind that you have to subtract the 20 mm flange distance from the total lens lenght figure in the patents, and also add 24 mm to the length of any EF lens to account for the adapter.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Hoping for a 600 mm RF big white that will drive down the cost of the EF 600mm III.

I would be very interested to know if Canon will make a whole new lens for the 600mm on the RF mount, or will adapt the EF design for RF uses in some way.

I assume Canon has been eyeing making the big whites DO like in their sample DO 600mm F/4, which looked amazing, but it seems like that has taken awhile.

Another interesting thought--I know the F/11 lenses are consumer based, but what if Canon make the 500mm F/4, for example, collapsible as well? I see no reason they couldn't make a super sturdy geared mechanism for that.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
My wishes to new white L primes:
Reducing the price... and the minimum focus distance!! more in the direction of zoom lenses please... not over 3m! <3m would be fine to me!

To have a solid line-up Canon needs a great combination of bright (2.8/4.0) and more mobile/flexible lenses (4.0/5.6 & ZOOOMS!)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
My wishes to new white L primes:
Reducing the price... and the minimum focus distance!! more in the direction of zoom lenses please... not over 3m! <3m would be fine to me!

To have a solid line-up Canon needs a great combination of bright (2.8/4.0) and more mobile/flexible lenses (4.0/5.6 & ZOOOMS!)
And the size ... and the weight ... and then I wake up :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: But some of these can be achieved by ... cheating on f/sise: Let's say a 600 f/5.6 DO or a 800 f/8 or ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
With the new RF teleconverters these are going perform even better than before.
I would not be so sure. Canon's MTF charts certainly don't show that comparing the effects of the 1.4xTCIII on the 100-400mm II with the RF 1.4x on the 100-500mm. Also, the new designs for the big whites have Canon's new method of reducing weight by replacing the heavy big elements at the front behind the front element with smaller ones further back. This slightly lowers the IQ of the 600mm f/4 L according to TDP https://www.the-digital-picture.com...LensComp=748&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0 and Canon's MTF chart for the old 400mm f/2.8 II (right) is better than for the version III (left).

mtf_400_III.pngmtf_400_II.png

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Another interesting thought--I know the F/11 lenses are consumer based, but what if Canon make the 500mm F/4, for example, collapsible as well? I see no reason they couldn't make a super sturdy geared mechanism for that.
Or a module system, like Leica's APO-Telyt-Modules for their R system once ;):

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0