Patent: Canon universal battery grip

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Keith over at Northlight Images has uncovered a Canon USA patent showing what appears to be a “universal” battery grip for Canon cameras.
It looks like the battery grip itself can use various “adapters” to fit on various camera bodies. There is also gearing that allows you to move the position of the tripod screw.
You can see in the images below two different camera bodies illustrated and how the adapter could work between the camera and the battery grip.

larger-camera-168x168.png

smaller-camera-168x168.png

battery-grip-168x168.png

I think this would definitely be a welcomed advance in battery grip design for consumers.

Continue reading...

Feb 5, 2020
I'll be happy to buy a universal grip, but wonder what would make Canon give up on profits from making new grip for each new camera.

Give up on profits? Nah. Make a low cost adapter and charge a nice margin. R&D costs for a one time universal battery grip that they don’t need to redesign for every new camera body and charge the same for this grip as for all their body specific grips. A lot more profit in this model.

People with more than one body will likely still buy more than one grip. Especially if bringing multiple bodies on a shoot.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

StoicalEtcher

CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Yorkshire
Give up on profits? Nah. Make a low cost adapter and charge a nice margin. R&D costs for a one time universal battery grip that they don’t need to redesign for every new camera body and charge the same for this grip as for all their body specific grips. A lot more profit in this model.

People with more than one body will likely still buy more than one grip. Especially if bringing multiple bodies on a shoot.
Or, possibly, patent the idea and mechanism, to stop anyone else doing it, and then carry on as before? ;)

Having said that, given how many imitations to existing models there already are, I'm guessing it is not something that is so easy to patent away to avoid copy-cats!

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014

If a new grip design is only a matter of mechanical shape, designing a new grip should be rather cheap, esp in comparison to profit on selling many copies.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Will grips be a more regular sale item with mirrorless bodies typically taking more battery juice than dSLRs
I think so. I had grips for my 7D and 5D III but didn’t bother with them on the 7D II or the 5D IV. But I got a free grip with my 24-105 And it stays on the R all the time. Makes a huge difference when shooting events.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think grip design could be carried a big step further. Imagine an optical port that would feed data from the bus that goes to the in camera card slots and links to the grip. In the grip are not only batteries, but a number of card slots that could double or triple available card memory without having to shut down and replace cards.
Another possibility is a Video Processing grip that would solve the in camera head buildup. The technology exists, it's just a matter of design.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0