Patent: Pop-Up Flash With Bounce Capabilities

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
Yeah. Much better and softer lighting than the conventional pop up flashes, but also much less light output. I think in combination with moderate ISO settings this will be very helpful in some occasions, without the need of a bulky flashlight mounted on the hotshoe. Probably a new feature for 6D2?

Upvote 0

Bengt Nyman

EOS 5R, RF 800mm f/11, RF 35mm macro, GP-E2 ...
Dec 22, 2011
Bennymiata said:
I'd like it on my 5D3 too, but as pop-up flashes are so weak, would it be powerful enough to be of much use,
1. Between small clubs and churches my Nikon D800E, and D810 pop-up flash covers 90% of my need for flash.
2. If my pop-up flash had bounce (to avoid lighting undesirable subjects in the light path) it would probably take care of 95% of my need for flash.
3. In churches and other tall venues i still bring a speed flash, but I rarely use it.

Upvote 0
With the camera in landscape orientation the flash will bounce straight up and down. The result could be a not pleasing effect i.e. dark eye sockets. In portrait orientation this should not occur as the head is described as rotatable so it could be swivelled to 45 degrees for a more pleasant effect.

If the flash was powerful enough to bounce up and behind from a suitably close substrate then I can see an application for it when the camera is in portrait orientation.

Upvote 0
Snark Warning... Oh yes please a bounce flash and let's have a swivel display too. That way it can be something else to break or snap off. End of snark... For me, the flash on the 7D has been the least used feature ever. I just don't care for the on axis flash look in my portraits. I've also had issues with 'crap' getting under the mechanics on the 7D. I would rather see a split ring focus screen on my 7D Mk III/5D Mk III/IV. YMMV.

Upvote 0