Patent: Pop-Up Flash With Bounce Capabilities

Sporgon said:
Putting a bouncable pop up on a FF camera is even more absurd than a fixed one; you can't play the trigger card and the limitation is so horrendous what on earth are you using a FF camera for anyway if you want this feature
Far from absurd, a pop-up flash on a full-frame camera is just as useful as it would be on a crop-sensor camera. A bounce feature will increase that usefulness.

After I bought my first EOS 6D, I went out to the back yard with my new 6D to photograph my two dogs, who happen to be all black. Right away I realized that I missed the pop-up flash of the 60D, which I'd previously used to good effect to photograph my dogs. The pop-up flash gave just the right amount of fill light to show good detail in my dogs' black fur and sparkle in their eyes without being awkward or intrusive, as a camera strobe would have been. For grab-and-go shooting, a pop-up flash is a very handy feature regardless of sensor size.

To be clear, a pop-up flash is not my choice for supplemental lighting for portrait work. So the lack of a pop-up flash on my 6Ds doesn't bother me in that respect, but I wouldn't complain if the 6D had a pop-up flash, unless the flash meant not having wi-fi. As a lighting tool, however, the pop-up flash has a place on any DSLR, especially if it's designed so it can trigger other flashes without imparting its own effect on the subject.

As long as a person understands the limitations of a pop-up flash and works within those limitations, there's little reason criticize these flashes.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
trstromme said:
Sporgon said:
Bennymiata said:
I'd like it on my 5D3 too, but as pop-up flashes are so weak, would it be powerfull enough to be of much use, especially if the ceiling was on the high side?

Exactly. Putting a bouncable pop up on a FF camera is even more absurd than a fixed one; you can't play the trigger card and the limitation is so horrendous what on earth are you using a FF camera for anyway if you want this feature ? On a camera such as the 100D personally I would want one for the type of casual photography that I would do with that camera, but on a FF it's an undesirable joke.

When I changed from the four series speedlites to the five I found a big difference in bounce performance, and I think that the four series is considerably more powerful than a pop up.

erm.. I have an issue seeing why a bounce-able flash on any camera would ruin the ability to trigger a secondary flash using the optical protocol they employ. When the master (in this case the built in flash) fires it does not do it once, there is a pre-flash which goes into metering, as well as a series of very rapid flashes that encode the metering information for the secondary flash's optical sensor to read and act upon.
All in all, any built in flash enhances the utility of the camera, don't use it if you don't want to. It might affect the durability if not done right, but with my 7D I have no such complaints. A built in flash has helped me countless times with adding the necessary fill light to balance exposures in strongly backlit environments such as on the beach or similar. Great for when you're in a pinch.

I was referring to the addition of bounce from a pop up doesn't help triggering ( or at least not reliably) so this added feature can't be used for the cheap optical trigger argument. Not that it can't be used as a trigger anymore.

At the end of the day it is personal preference. I do not want it on a high end camera - simple. From my point of view it compromises the structural integrity of the camera for something that I will never use, at least not when using a camera like that. I've has the pop up snap off a Nikon D200 years ago, and damned nearly had the same thing happen recently when I had an APS dslr over my shoulder along with my light weight tripod in its bag, and the flash had deployed. God knows how I didn't get that snapped off.

You can argue for or against. Personally I'm pleased Canon don't fit them to the Ff cameras.

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Sporgon said:
Bennymiata said:
I'd like it on my 5D3 too, but as pop-up flashes are so weak, would it be powerfull enough to be of much use, especially if the ceiling was on the high side?

Exactly. Putting a bouncable pop up on a FF camera is even more absurd than a fixed one; you can't play the trigger card and the limitation is so horrendous what on earth are you using a FF camera for anyway if you want this feature ? On a camera such as the 100D personally I would want one for the type of casual photography that I would do with that camera, but on a FF it's an undesirable joke.

When I changed from the four series speedlites to the five I found a big difference in bounce performance, and I think that the four series is considerably more powerful than a pop up.

Its for that quick moment when you need just a splash of light... or for when you are being lazy ...

The bounce aspect makes it much more usable rather than the default PoP up Alien eyes affect.

Obviously if you are needing REAL LIGHT you will attach your speed light and go...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
TeT said:
Sporgon said:
Bennymiata said:

Its for that quick moment when you need just a splash of light... or for when you are being lazy ...

The bounce aspect makes it much more usable rather than the default PoP up Alien eyes affect.

Obviously if you are needing REAL LIGHT you will attach your speed light and go...

I never, ever, need "that quick moment" when using my 1 series cameras. I appreciate it in the G10 (not really) and I don't miss it in my EOS-M, but when I do want it I have the 90EX which also doesn't bounce and I don't care.

Also, given the guide number of these internal flashes I would think the amount of light you get after bouncing makes them very limited.

Upvote 0
Considering the ISO capabilities of even the cheapest of modern dSLR cameras and the subtle yet desirable benefits of a low powered, compact bounce flash... eugh. Some of you guys have your heads so far up your... selves that it seems to have deprived your potentially creative minds of any oxygen. It's truly fascinating what people will object to on the internets.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Khufu said:
Considering the ISO capabilities of even the cheapest of modern dSLR cameras and the subtle yet desirable benefits of a low powered, compact bounce flash... eugh. Some of you guys have your heads so far up your... selves that it seems to have deprived your potentially creative minds of any oxygen. It's truly fascinating what people will object to on the internets.

Don't be so condescending. I understand that people use their cameras for all kinds of different uses, I use mine to make salable images, none of which would be so if shot with a built in flash, that is my reality, no head up my ass.

You might well find it handy to have a pop up flash on your DSLR, all power to you, so far Canon have decided that if that is so then the camera for you is a crop camera, they don't consider a built in flash and a ff feature set and price to be a match.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
dilbert said:
privatebydesign said:
Not true. Why would I want a 'feature' I would never use, would weigh more and make the camera bigger?

A better response to a feature that you will never use is to simply not care if it is there.

Not if I have to pay for it and carry it! Your reply is totally illogical when there is an actual cost in both financial and size and weight terms to the option, as there is with hardware.

That is like Canon increasing the price of the 5D MkIII $250 and gluing a BG-E11 onto it, great for those that want it, utterly crap for those that don't; and totally impossible to "simply not care if it is there".

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
privatebydesign said:
Khufu said:

Don't be so condescending. I understand that people use their cameras for all kinds of different uses, I use mine to make salable images, none of which would be so if shot with a built in flash, that is my reality, no head up my ass.

You might well find it handy to have a pop up flash on your DSLR, all power to you, so far Canon have decided that if that is so then the camera for you is a crop camera, they don't consider a built in flash and a ff feature set and price to be a match.

I would find it useful. I shoot for enjoyment, my pics usually are questionable in quality but improving all the time. That is my reality...

I find it hard to believe that you as a professional, could not create a salable image with a pop up flash. Really...

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
dilbert said:
privatebydesign said:
Not true. Why would I want a 'feature' I would never use, would weigh more and make the camera bigger?

A better response to a feature that you will never use is to simply not care if it is there.

Not if I have to pay for it and carry it! Your reply is totally illogical when there is an actual cost in both financial and size and weight terms to the option, as there is with hardware.

That is like Canon increasing the price of the 5D MkIII $250 and gluing a BG-E11 onto it, great for those that want it, utterly crap for those that don't; and totally impossible to "simply not care if it is there".

With all respect, in this topic, your signature is quite funny :)
Quoted here:
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Pitbullo said:
privatebydesign said:
dilbert said:
privatebydesign said:

With all respect, in this topic, your signature is quite funny :)
Quoted here:
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Private's signature is highly relevant to this topic. It is all about the light, how we handle and manipulate it, the quality of it. Hence why pop up on a (relatively) expensive camera aimed at producing top quality is, literally, miss placed.

Upvote 0
TeT said:
I find it hard to believe that you as a professional, could not create a salable image with a pop up flash. Really...
That would depend on the kind of photography Privatebydesign does.

Here’s an example of a professional photographer using pop-up flash to make images that could sell, or at least be published: http://thedigitaltrekker.com/2014/03/the-popup-flash-a-pro-tool/

A photog could do these kinds of photos with an on-camera strobe as well, but a strobe is an awkward piece of kit to keep attached to a camera no matter how you use it. The pop-up flash allows a photog to have flash available without being bulky and awkward, an especially good thing for pros who do walk-around photography.

The pop-up’s limitations pretty much confine it to support uses, where it’s not the main source of light for a photo. As a source of fill light, or as a means to trigger other flashes, it definitely has a place on DSLRs, including professional-level DSLRs. But since many pros need flash power and functionality far greater than a pop-up can deliver, many will default to strobes and off-camera flashes and forego the pop-up when flash illumination is called for. For them the pop-up is superfluous, and I can understand their aversion to the pop-ups on the cameras with which they earn their livings. But I think that aversion is unnecessary.

Consider the pro-level EOS 7D MkII. It has a pop-up flash, yet it’s a robust, feature-rich fully professional DSLR differentiated from all other pro DSLRs mainly by having a crop sensor. Were it a full-frame camera, some people would say that it ought not have a pop-up flash … simply because it’s a full-frame professional camera. That seems arbitrary to me, in the same way I find arbitrary the arguments against the EOS 6D being a professional-quality camera because it lacks features that other pro DSLRs have.

privatebydesign said:
I use mine to make salable images, none of which would be so if shot with a built in flash, that is my reality, no head up my ass.
What kind of photography do you do?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Every photo we take is not for sale. And if this flash does become a reality there is no one stopping use of professional lights when required. Why is there so much of an argument about a feature which some may use when they want and some will never. It is there for who want it. It is not being forced. Duh.

Btw: Pop up flash can be a life saver to photographers who know how to use it and it being bounce able will be an added benefit.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Busted Knuckles said:
So lets see, A pop up flash that bounces would add oooohhh let guess $35 to the manufacturing cost of the camera? Price the cameras in the class that typically have pop ups and their stable mates that don't.

So for perhaps $50/70 retail I would get a camera that has increased functionality for casual shooting. So small birthday parties for my grandkids, etc. and yet when I need the giant strobes, it doesn't get in the way and it tucks neatly away.

As power, no I don't need cavern filling power, as a previous poster mentioned this is for casual shooting.... a FF camera is not so much for a person who exclusively casually shoots. there is a difference. And of course this model can be upped a bit compared to the 3 meter models on most "casual shooting" cameras.

Combine it with the idea that it can be used as an optical trigger (not all of us have replaced our 2 dozen speedlights w/ radio controlled models) and in anything but a location shoot greater than about 75 meters, it works fine (actually did this w/ mT3i so pucker up buttercup).

It sounds like a damn fine bit of functionality to me.

Brilliant.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
privatebydesign said:
dilbert said:
Pitbullo said:
Sporgon said:
Bennymiata said:

FF cameras are not magical. They are used for the exact same things as aps-c. So why is a pop up flash such a nightmare on a FF camera? It can do just as good on a FF as on a crop camera.

Snobbishness on the part of posters is why most people don't want to see a pop-up flash on a FF camera, never mind that many SLRs (that were all FF) had pop-up flashes. It is snobbishness in the sense that Canon's pro cameras (1-series) don't have them so not having it makes the camera "more like" the 1-series.

The excuse given for the video features on stills cameras is that it doesn't add size or weight and the software is written anyway, then economy of scale means it is cheaper to have it and appeal to a bigger market even if you don't want it, but that is not true of hardware, there is a cost in actual dollars, there is a cost in size and weight and reliability; that is why I don't want a feature I will never use, not because I am a snob.

Others may want to! They have no bounce able flash build in available currently. They will use it. You can keep it unused. Simple. Yes Private?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Spokagrapher said:
Sporgon said:
Putting a bouncable pop up on a FF camera is even more absurd than a fixed one; you can't play the trigger card and the limitation is so horrendous what on earth are you using a FF camera for anyway if you want this feature
Far from absurd, a pop-up flash on a full-frame camera is just as useful as it would be on a crop-sensor camera. A bounce feature will increase that usefulness.

After I bought my first EOS 6D, I went out to the back yard with my new 6D to photograph my two dogs, who happen to be all black. Right away I realized that I missed the pop-up flash of the 60D, which I'd previously used to good effect to photograph my dogs. The pop-up flash gave just the right amount of fill light to show good detail in my dogs' black fur and sparkle in their eyes without being awkward or intrusive, as a camera strobe would have been. For grab-and-go shooting, a pop-up flash is a very handy feature regardless of sensor size.

To be clear, a pop-up flash is not my choice for supplemental lighting for portrait work. So the lack of a pop-up flash on my 6Ds doesn't bother me in that respect, but I wouldn't complain if the 6D had a pop-up flash, unless the flash meant not having wi-fi. As a lighting tool, however, the pop-up flash has a place on any DSLR, especially if it's designed so it can trigger other flashes without imparting its own effect on the subject.

As long as a person understands the limitations of a pop-up flash and works within those limitations, there's little reason criticize these flashes.

Absolutely!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
privatebydesign said:
TeT said:
Sporgon said:
Bennymiata said:

I never, ever, need "that quick moment" when using my 1 series cameras. I appreciate it in the G10 (not really) and I don't miss it in my EOS-M, but when I do want it I have the 90EX which also doesn't bounce and I don't care.

Also, given the guide number of these internal flashes I would think the amount of light you get after bouncing makes them very limited.

Sure the light is limited and it is for limited photography and very helpful for that.

Upvote 0