Peter McKinnon shows off the Canon EOS R3

So Nikon went nuclear on the z9 and is making the R3 look like a dud. ☹️

Grow up.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Despite the ‘threats’ from forum members and the occasional high-profile photographer who switches systems, jumping from one brand to another isn’t common
The difference at this inflection point is that as discontinued EF lenses fall out of support much of the traditional stay-in-the-system inertia evaporates.

I'm at the point that I haven't decided to go into the RF system, so if Nikon offer something compelling then I might consider trying their alternative. In 30+ years of shooting EF I've never considered that before. But given that I'll have to buy into a new lens system for the next few decades, I'll have to study the options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The difference at this inflection point is that as discontinued EF lenses fall out of support much of the traditional stay-in-the-system inertia evaporates.

I'm at the point that I haven't decided to go into the RF system, so if Nikon offer something compelling then I might consider trying their alternative. In 30+ years of shooting EF I've never considered that before. But given that I'll have to buy into a new lens system for the next few decades, I'll have to study the options.
In theory maybe. In practice, most people are extremely reluctant to switch systems, partly of course due to lens compatibility, but equally because they like continuity of control layout and general design. For example, the generally higher specs and arguably superior AF of Sony has sometimes tempted me to switch from Canon, and I could use my old EF glass on a Sony body perfectly satisfactorily. But, I don't like the feel/comfort/ergonomics of Sony cameras, and I don't want to miss important shots due to unfamiliarity with a new design.

What is important to me is to have the tool that works best for me, and provides the required level of performance, so before getting my R5, I looked seriously at Panasonic S1R, Sony a7Riv and Nikon Z7ii, as each offered something that I value, and the R5 to me seemed overkill, with 8K.

I ruled out Nikon simply because of lens compatibility, then I discarded the Panasonic option because of the weight and the potentially irritating "DFD wobble effect". In many ways the Sony a7Riv seemed the logical choice - lens compatibility wasn't an issue, I'm not a brand fanboy, resolution was higher than the Canon, I prefer a tilting screen, battery performance was better, price was significantly cheaper etc. But when it came to the crunch, I chose the R5, because I find Sony cameras a bit uncomfortable to hold and operate, and because having used Canons for several years I'm thoroughly familiar with them and knew that I'd be less likely to miss important shots during the "muscle memory" adjustment period.

Upvote 0
Only if you ignore the fact there is an R1 coming too....

Nikon have said the Z9 beats the D6, Canon have stated the R3 is below the 1DX II, the R1 will be above it.
History may have a story to tell, prior to the EOS 1D being released Nikon released the D1. People predicted Canon's doom then as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
AUD5500 = ~USD4180 (using 0.76 exchange rate... actual not mid-market rate).
The Australian price includes 10% GST so about USD100 cheaper than the retail price in the US. It does include the local 5 year warranty though.
AUD6400 was the pre-order price including an extra battery and the fancy strap (and 5 year warranty) so significantly more.
DigiDirect have gone down to AUD5260 after Canon Australia cash back!

Upvote 0